Sign in to follow this  
dkim

Politics

Hey, so i've been running ptc/jackson vanik this year for a politics da, and i was wondering how an elections da is different from an agenda da. Also, what are some answers to elections da's?

right. so. for an agenda da, the link is generally predicated off an issue such as jv or ptc being passed/repealed in congress and obama not having enough political capital to get it done.

for these da's, a few things are needed:

1. Uniqueness of the bill

2. Polcap is key

3. Plan saps the necessary polcap

an election da is based on the impact of a specific nominee winning the presidential election in november.

the link will talk about how doing the plan will prevent X nominee from winning or help X nominee win.

the internal link and impact story is generally about how/whether X nominee winning the election is good or bad.

the issue of political capital is unnecessary because polcap doesn't really help a nominee win elections as directly as other issues.

an example of a romney bad elections da from a thursday file:

A. Uniqueness- Obama will win the election now – new polls show he is controlling independents and the economy vote

B. Link - New spending on programs not directly beneficial to voters shatters the gradual message Obama is putting together, losing swing state votes over perceived taxation

C. Internal Link- GOP president means repeal of Obamacare - destroys the health insurance industry and the economy, quickly inciting partisanship that will gridlock his entire presidency

D. Impact- Prefer the impact of economic decline to any other impact—

Some answers to elections will be like

Non Unique- X nominee won't/will win

No Link- Plan doesn't cause X nominee to not be elected/to be elected

Link Turn- Plan helps X nominee to be elected/not be elected

No Impact- The issue that X nominee is key to has no impact

Impact Turn- X nominee winning is good

Other issues trump the issue that X nominee is key to

Uniqueness overwhelms the link- X nominee will definitely win so the issue of the link is mooted.

Another answer to elections that I think a lot of people forget about revolves around the internal link. Just because Romney might want to pass some bad policies when he is elected, it doesn't mean they will pass. To go with the previous poster's example, let's say the scenario is "Obamacare." You'll find tons of quotes from Romney talking about repealing "Obamacare" on day one of his presidency. This doesn't mean he will be successful in doing so. On the 2004 topic, we ran Kerry bad with a Kyoto Protocol scenario, and I couldn't believe that no team every questioned whether or not he would be able to get it ratified. They just took our word for it. I know this is just a defensive answer, but just because something is part of one of the candidate's platforms, it doesn't mean it will become a reality. There is good reason to believe that either candidate will have a tough time getting his agenda passed when the election is over.

Another answer to elections that I think a lot of people forget about revolves around the internal link. Just because Romney might want to pass some bad policies when he is elected, it doesn't mean they will pass. To go with the previous poster's example, let's say the scenario is "Obamacare." You'll find tons of quotes from Romney talking about repealing "Obamacare" on day one of his presidency. This doesn't mean he will be successful in doing so. On the 2004 topic, we ran Kerry bad with a Kyoto Protocol scenario, and I couldn't believe that no team every questioned whether or not he would be able to get it ratified. They just took our word for it. I know this is just a defensive answer, but just because something is part of one of the candidate's platforms, it doesn't mean it will become a reality. There is good reason to believe that either candidate will have a tough time getting his agenda passed when the election is over.

The argument that I use 99% of the time is author bias. Most of the time with Election DAs, when the main argument is that X candidate or Y party is bad for some reason, I say that the authors are inherently biased because they side themselves with a certain political party, meaning that they shouldn't be trusted in terms of political matters. It works most of the time because I come from a conservative circuit where judges themselves are really politically inclined. In that sense, Election DAs might not be the best idea in conservative/lay districts, because if you run a GOP Bad elections DA with a Republican lay mommy judge, it's an uphill battle.

This is why I like to use foreign policy scenarios as impacts. The president has much more direct control over diplomacy than the legislature. ie. Romney 2012 = Iran Strikes = Extinction