Sign in to follow this  
Synakal

Satire Vs. Irony Pros And Cons

Ok, for starters I'm not that well versed in the Critical side of debate so bare with me. I was wondering if Satire has been used in debate before and if so how? -this is excluding the use of satire in ironic K's and aff's-. And if not could satire be successfully crafted into an affirmative where a plan is given and the aff actually tries to solve for their plan, instead of giving an advocacy that completely disregards the res like in most critical affs? Also I know the structure of a Ironic Aff and I know it uses satire in it but I want to make an aff completely dedicated to satire. Is this possible? if so what would be the pros and the cons of running strictly satire over Irony?

Check out WGLF for some satire-like arguments that won

could satire be successfully crafted into an affirmative where a plan is given and the aff actually tries to solve for their plan, instead of giving an advocacy that completely disregards the res like in most critical affs?

It would be very hard to satirize the activity and then play into exactly what you satirize. I guess you could add satire to a regular 1AC, but I can't think of many situations where that would be usefule

Check out WGLF for some satire-like arguments that won

It would be very hard to satirize the activity and then play into exactly what you satirize. I guess you could add satire to a regular 1AC, but I can't think of many situations where that would be usefule

yeah I gave up lol

well I guys decided on making a ironic aff instead.. *shrugs* satirizing American obesity as USFG Denialism would've been funny as hell....=/...eh to bad there's hardly any lit on that though *snaps fingers*

well I guys decided on making a ironic aff instead.. *shrugs* satirizing American obesity as USFG Denialism would've been funny as hell....=/...eh to bad there's hardly any lit on that though *snaps fingers*

There's tons of lit on this...there are entire fields of rhetorical study on this issue. Check out this: Holcomb 2009 (Justine Schuchard, "In the Culture of Truthiness: Comic Criticism and the Performative Politics of Stephen Colbert" (2009). Communication Theses. Paper 51.), and cut relevant footnoted or cited articles. You can make a massive file very quickly with this document and its citations.

There's tons of lit on this...there are entire fields of rhetorical study on this issue. Check out this: Holcomb 2009 (Justine Schuchard, "In the Culture of Truthiness: Comic Criticism and the Performative Politics of Stephen Colbert" (2009). Communication Theses. Paper 51.), and cut relevant footnoted or cited articles. You can make a massive file very quickly with this document and its citations.

Ahhhh!!!!! thank you bro =)