ZalmayKhalilzad

Flowing: Paper Vs. Paperless

Flowing: Paper Vs. Paperless  

85 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer to flow on, paper or a computer, or not at all?

• Paper
    • Laptop
    • I Don't Flow

I've been flowing paperless on a laptop all year, (because my partner can't read my handwriting and I never really learned how to flow on paper) but I'm gonna try to learn how to flow on paper since when I flow on a laptop, I tend to write our everything instead of just putting an outline which wastes time.

All of my coaches forbade my team from flowing on a computer until they could see that our paper flows were good enough. In my opinion, it is best to flow on paper because of the flexibility in writing symbols, but it would've been nice to have the option.

The above poster has some good comments - so far as hand writing leaving a bigger margin for different symbols and shorthand styles. I personally flow on paper because I'm an awful typist. That being said, my partner flows on computer because he has awful handwriting. What it comes down to is what you feel you're most comfortable with. As far as your concerns with writing everything out, develop a shorthand style on the computer, develop macros in the flow template to extend inputs, et cetera.

Who i am debating matters the most to me. I prefer laaptop but when I am debating a team that is too fast for my moderate typing speed i go on paper

I'm a fast typer but I like paper because I read my cards off the laptop and I don't want to have to switch windows in the middle of the speech to go to the line-by-line. Standard debate symbols combined with a shorthand I've developed on my own make me able to keep up, even if I'm the only one who can read my flows half the time.

Also to the people who answered "I don't flow", y'all best be trollin'.

• Upvote 2

Necromancy (/ˈnÉ›krɵˌmænsi/) is a claimed form of magic involving communication with the deceased â€“ either by summoning theirspirit as an apparition or raising them bodily – for the purpose of divination, imparting the means to foretell future events or discover hidden knowledge. The term may sometimes be used in a more general sense to refer to black magic or witchcraft.[1][2]

• Upvote 1

lol- i dont flow - 

Necromancy (/ˈnÉ›krɵˌmænsi/) is a claimed form of magic involving communication with the deceased â€“ either by summoning theirspirit as an apparition or raising them bodily – for the purpose of divination, imparting the means to foretell future events or discover hidden knowledge. The term may sometimes be used in a more general sense to refer to black magic or witchcraft.[1][2]

Sounds about right.

I flow on paper in-round, but on a laptop out of round. I prefer paper during the round just because I like having something to hold during rebuttals. (It also reduces the windows that I frantically click through.) The only reason I ever use my laptop when observing is because I am awful at not losing paper, and I can save  on my computer where I will (probably) be able to retrieve it.

• Upvote 2