Sign in to follow this  
SlavojZizek

Ben Reid

I think what you call "specific, textual references to Agamben" I call "plainspoken." rotatehappy.gif

To clarify, too, I don't view the NPTE as the state of control or having immense biopolitical leverage over us. I would like, though, to think about how we organize ourselves (community) and where we might go from here (coming community, coming thought). Is it possible that we organize ourselves along broader lines that we have yet to come to grips with? If so, then thought has more work to do.

For me, choice, style, nature (heard here as: inevitable), and even culture (heard here as: be nice!), are not adequate explanations in and of themselves for the current landscape of forensics/debate. I really do see splintering after splintering as bios (political or qualified life, life of the polis, debate branded by the national organization at hand) is unable to be reconciled with zoe (simple life, life of the oikos, debate before any national organization), and so, in this wake, bare or precarious life is founded. It's precarious life not because it is immediately dangerous or even biopolitical but because it has the potential to be (or in fancier terms, it cannot ultimately serve as humanity's ethos, that is, as humanity's proper dwelling place), and, for me, in particular here, this produces a latent restlessness. Perhaps we feel differently about where we dwell.

The way out of bare life is, admittedly, bizarre: form-of-life, happy life, or whatever singularity. To achieve that we will need to rethink potentiality and language (in part, getting past Saussure, who you reference above) while also taking seriously Plato's Idea (Agamben: "a Platonic tautology, which we are still far from understanding"). This all remains bizarre precisely because there is still much thinking to be done.

"Doesn't matter, I'll probably get hit by a car anyways."

--Suicidal Tendencies

• Upvote 2

I think what you call "specific, textual references to Agamben" I call "plainspoken." rotatehappy.gif

To clarify, too, I don't view the NPTE as the state of control or having immense biopolitical leverage over us. I would like, though, to think about how we organize ourselves (community) and where we might go from here (coming community, coming thought). Is it possible that we organize ourselves along broader lines that we have yet to come to grips with? If so, then thought has more work to do.

For me, choice, style, nature (heard here as: inevitable), and even culture (heard here as: be nice!), are not adequate explanations in and of themselves for the current landscape of forensics/debate. I really do see splintering after splintering as bios (political or qualified life, life of the polis, debate branded by the national organization at hand) is unable to be reconciled with zoe (simple life, life of the oikos, debate before any national organization), and so, in this wake, bare or precarious life is founded. It's precarious life not because it is immediately dangerous or even biopolitical but because it has the potential to be (or in fancier terms, it cannot ultimately serve as humanity's ethos, that is, as humanity's proper dwelling place), and, for me, in particular here, this produces a latent restlessness. Perhaps we feel differently about where we dwell.

The way out of bare life is, admittedly, bizarre: form-of-life, happy life, or whatever singularity. To achieve that we will need to rethink potentiality and language (in part, getting past Saussure, who you reference above) while also taking seriously Plato's Idea (Agamben: "a Platonic tautology, which we are still far from understanding"). This all remains bizarre precisely because there is still much thinking to be done.

"Doesn't matter, I'll probably get hit by a car anyways."

--Suicidal Tendencies

Is No-Facebook Novak also No-Cross-x Novak?