CaptainFalcon

Mshsaa State-- Now 5 Minute Rebuttals!

HOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLY SSSSSSHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTTHANKKKKKKK THHHHE LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD...................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D

^ I imagine that sort of thing causes the grumpy old traditionalist men on committees to get even grumpier and older and traditionalist and to spontaneously sprout extra genitalia.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

First, the advisory committee didn't unanimously approve 5 minute rebuttals, it was a 5-2 vote. Last year the committee passed 5 minute rebuttals, but because it was a 3-2-3 vote (3 abstentions), the MSHSAA Board of Governors wanted further study (a survey of coaches) before they would pass it. The results were around 55% for 5 minutes, 45% for 4 minutes, but there were multiple schools that have never had policy that voted for 4 minutes, so the committee felt it was time to move forward (25 years late I might add). This has been one of the things I've tried to push through for three years on that committee, so there is some progress.

As for the "grumpy old traditionalist men" the committee doesn't have any voting members that would fall into that category. I'm the oldest man (I'm 32, and certainly not grumpy) on the committee. The biggest problem with the committee is I'm the only coach that coaches policy debate. There are several coaches that coach LD and/or PuF, but policy is by far the smallest event in the state. Coaches that don't coach the event are not willing to make changes to something they don't know without a lot of persuasion. It took 3 years for me get enough people on board.

The committee also recommended that extemp be split at the state tournament (I give this a 50-50 chance of passing the board). I think those were the only two big changes that would affect the people on these boards.

@Kenny... so what are the chances now that we can open up to allowing competition in September? No holding my breath, but would be nice. Or better yet what are the chances that if someone requested a waiver to attend a tournament in September that it would be approved?

We discussed the September issue two years ago. The committee is pretty against it, for a couple of reasons. First is kids/coaches burnout. The committee believes that increasing the length of the competitive season will lead to more kids getting burnt out, regardless of whether we stick to the 10/11 tournament rule. Second is coach burnout. A longer season will undoubtedly put more strain on coaches and the committee works to preserve a balance there. Third, the committee believes it would give certain schools a competitive advantage over other schools. If we just allowed teams to compete in tournaments earlier, but not host, the committee believed that would give border schools an advantage, plus it would give schools with the monetary resources an even bigger advantage than they already possess.

I don't see this as something that the committee will be changing anytime soon. Quite frankly, I've only ever had one school show any interest in this at all. Most schools are pretty happy with the current schedule, and to be quite honest, the current travel regulations (although changing those will take an act of congress...probably quite literally).

Feel free to email me any questions or thoughts (KEYunker@swbell.net). I don't check this very often.

Kenny:

Out of curiosity, who was on the committee and how did the vote come down?

Also, has there been any discussion of ways to encourage coaches to have policy programs or to get newcomers to choose policy over PF or LD? I'm not proposing anything, but just interested. I know there has been fear of the death of policy in Missouri, but it seems like more and more there have been fewer and fewer entries at MSHSAA or NFL districts.

Agreed; the death of policy seems to be happening. We have started just requiring that their be two teams, at least-- works so far, but who knows about the novices?

• Downvote 2

Agreed; the death of policy seems to be happening. We have started just requiring that their be two teams, at least-- works so far, but who knows about the novices?

...wut?

• Upvote 2