yamaharider

"resolved: The United States Has A Moral Obligation To Promote Just Governance In Developing Nations."

I personally don't see the moral value of justice. I've never seen a good argument for that. I've also never seen a good method of weighing claims to justice.

I personally don't see the moral value of justice. I've never seen a good argument for that. I've also never seen a good method of weighing claims to justice.

Util (which I hate) does at least offer a pretty solid analysis of why Justice matters in a moral sense. So do continental philosophers like Levinas and Derrida.

Either justice or morality as the VP; NCFL judges won't like to see a definition debate between them, so you should be good with either.

Util (which I hate) does at least offer a pretty solid analysis of why Justice matters in a moral sense.

These are indirect reasons that justice matters. I was talking about non-instrumental reasons.

IMHO the best way to prove that justice is important is to value it instrumentally through a form of rule utilitarianism which values well-being.

I actually thought up a really good affirmative strategy. Do what I said above, except orient it around naturalistic claims about evolutionary preferences for Justice to govern social relations, etc. Maybe a rule naturalism type thing, which would supplement the reasons it helps survival. This would have great inherent leverage against claims that we shouldn't impose our moral standards on others, and would get you access to lots of offense based on humanism.

So do continental philosophers like Levinas and Derrida.

Levinas and Derrida don't use justice, they use something entirely different which happens to have the same name.

Levinas and Derrida don't use justice, they use something entirely different which happens to have the same name.

Yo, as long as it has the same name, you can win the definitions debate.