Sign in to follow this  
ZalmayKhalilzad

The Hegemony Debate

So, I've been thinking, back in the day, I would almost beg for a hegemony advantage since I'd get an easy "US/China Space Race DA" Link (Back in the novice days)....and then I woke up and found out that heg solves a ton of stuff, however it also links to every argument out there.

So, is bringing up hegemony to solve every impact, but also possibly link to everything worth it?

The best situation is when you defend that your plan prevents a decrease in hegemony, as opposed to an increase over the SQ (i.e. heg loss is a future harm). It might be possible to win that more hegemony is bad (it might lead to everybody ganging up on the U.S., et cetera), but such arguments are empirically denied for the current levels of heg. Likewise, winning that a loss in heg (as per the SQ) is bad is pretty easy, because the warrants are good. Finally, the desirability of current heg levels is evidenced by the fact that there have been no great power wars for the past two decades, which is how long the U.S. has been the hegemon (since the U.S.S.R.'s collapse in '91).

So, if you are careful to phrase the advantage in that way (i.e. "debris kills sats which kills heg, Aff maintains current levels"), you can use empirical analysis to bolster your arguments against the impact turn.

• Upvote 1

Hege good access a ton of impact scenarios:

1) NATO

2) Oil/Middle East

3) Prolif (this one is ify, because it seems to go both ways)

4) Soft power & democracy & rule of law

5) Economy

6) Terrorism (this one is ify because it seems to go both ways)

7) Arguably relations--this varies by country I would guess.

You just need an answer to over-stretch. Plus--post-Iraq pullout I imagine that these scenarios are far, far, far less convincing (and arguably empirically denied on the link & impact level).

Terrorism & prolif are some of the better answers--but it solves those back--arguably on multiple levels if you win the debate correctly.

The impact turn stories are almost inevitably both empirically denied and long term.

The utility of a heg advantage is the way it can access impacts with different uniqueness claims. Most advantages say heg is sustainable in the short run now, but will collapse in the long run (typically 5-10 years). The beauty of this is you can say unipolarity solves a ton of stuff and also say heg collapse independently would be bad. For example, an aff might say 1) heg collapse causes lash out against Russia/China because the US will go down with a fight (which is awesome against K teams because all of their ontology claims have to spot you this), 2) heg collapse causes transition wars which escalate to extinction, 3) sustaining heg solves every war impact.

This is strategic because the 2A can read 1 card on each of the negatives impacts that says "heg solves that" and it puts the negative in a position where they can no longer generate external offense because you will always have at least some in-roads to their impact claim, whether it be Korea prolif or economic decline. This becomes really sick for the aff if the neg only goes for "heg high and sustainable forever" (the best defensive answer to heg) because in the 2AR you can concede that, defend heg solves all their impacts, and then go for an external warming scenario or some other impact like that.

Hegemony is such a robust literature base that it allows a high amount of 2AC/2AR strategic moves. You're always going to link to the security K, you might as well have an advantage with a wealth of literature that deals with those Ks.

• Upvote 3