Sign in to follow this  
Young Nietzschy

Love Of Deleuze.

OK. Is it just me, or is all of Cross-X absolutely obsessed with Deleuze. I just don't get it. Like, I like Deleuze, but I feel like people are constantly referencing DnG more than anyone else. Am I just crazy, or can someone explain why people love dat schizoanalysis so much?

• Upvote 2

OK. Is it just me, or is all of Cross-X absolutely obsessed with Deleuze. I just don't get it. Like, I like Deleuze, but I feel like people are constantly referencing DnG more than anyone else. Am I just crazy, or can someone explain why people love dat schizoanalysis so much?

It's just becoming the new "in" kritik, just like a few years ago when everybody was reading the cap K. It also doesn't help that there are pre-cut, easily accessible, good quality D+G files that people can steal and re-tag, whereas before you actually had to read the book and cut your own cards. The summer after Blake and Connor won CEDA (was it CEDA?) finals with the cap K, just about EVERY high school camp put out a version of it and everybody started running it. Now the cap K has cooled down a bit but is still a permanent part of a lot of people's kritik arsenal. I imagine in a year or two the same thing will happen to D+G and then the community will become obsessed with some other K.

It's just becoming the new "in" kritik, just like a few years ago when everybody was reading the cap K. It also doesn't help that there are pre-cut, easily accessible, good quality D+G files that people can steal and re-tag, whereas before you actually had to read the book and cut your own cards. The summer after Blake and Connor won CEDA (was it CEDA?) finals with the cap K, just about EVERY high school camp put out a version of it and everybody started running it. Now the cap K has cooled down a bit but is still a permanent part of a lot of people's kritik arsenal. I imagine in a year or two the same thing will happen to D+G and then the community will become obsessed with some other K.

Where does it go from there, though?

Deleuze and Guattari are mystical mages and sorcerers. They fascinate people because they are complex and hard to understand. Bad debaters consider it a way to easily overtake an enemy by confusing them. Good debaters get locked within the trappings of a nearly infinite critical tunnel that expands not only deep, but also horizontally, touching on nearly every subject.

Of course, as soon as someone puts out a really sick Battaille file, that will become the new hottness. In the mean time, it's hard to turn down a $20, 400 page Deleuze and Guattari file that is ready to wreck shop. The existence of that file guides further research and helps people get a grip on the argument without having to resort to navigating schizoanalytic literature sans sherpa.

• Upvote 8

People copy winning strategies—and when those stop winning, they copy something else.

MIMIC DA STRATA

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I love DnG almost as much as i want to have a hot nude bath with RawrCat and Young Nietzschy

I'm just wondering, what the fuck were your parents thinking when they had you?

• Downvote 1

I'm just wondering, what the fuck were your parents thinking when they had you?

"It ain't a sin to fuck your sister if you don't use contraception"

• Upvote 7

"It ain't a sin to fuck your sister if you don't use contraception"

... It all makes sense now

It's complexity also adds to it's hip factor. Judges and most debaters debating it barely understand it, which just makes it all the more attractive considering the whole high school debater's "OOOOOOH SHINY KRITIK GOGOGO" mentality.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I like it because if you dive deep into the literature base you can win on it most of the time because you'll always understand it better than the other team. There's also a huge amount of new scholarship coming out surrounding Deleuze and Deleuzian concepts so it has a very active and current literature base. That's not to mention that the lit base is very heavily skewed neg; I haven't seen very good aff cards specific to DnG all year and that is true even of some of the bigger debate schools on my circuit (Homewood-Flossmore, GBN/GBS, and New Trier among others). As soon as someone's ready to explain it in the context of a round in terms that make sense instead of pure jargon, DnG is a very easy K to win with. The same is also true of Bataille, Baudrillard, Schopenhauer, queer/sexual liberation Ks (not fem or traditional heteronorm), and to a lesser extent Lacan.

• Upvote 1

I love DnG almost as much as i want to have a hot nude bath with RawrCat and Young Nietzschy

poster child for abortion

• Upvote 3