Sign in to follow this  
friedfun2001

Stanford or what???

I am possibly going to go to GHP for 6 weeks and that lasts until the 23rd of July, which is also the starting date of SNDI: Stanford. So far, I have seen pretty mixed reviews about the two camp. But I really don't have another choice of a camp for the dates i want. What really makes Stanford that bad? I understand that people think it has no structure and the leaders are lazy, but how is the quality of evidence, the food, the dorms, the practice rounds, and how much will my skills improve (entering into 3rd year debate). If it is true that I can work myself at that camp as hard as any other camp I am willing, but am I going to be stuck behind the rest of the debater's this year with this camp???

i pretty much agree with karina on this one, but as a third year and definantly as a fourth year, stanford is probably not the right place, i'm a senior and was in swing lab this past year, and although the lab leaders were absolutely amazing, props to john sharp who is probably the best critic and most useful lab leader ever, i don't feel that i improved very much, and for the amount of money i spent i was disappointed

to answer some of your questions:

the campus is amazing

the food is good

the dorms are okay...

the evidence...weak at best

skills...umm...what karina said, and it depends on the level of competition, which for a third year won't be very competitive

Stanford really is not the best camp. Yeah the lab leaders are good, but there are a few problems with it. It's incredibly expensive, and considering the quality of evidence you will recieve, it's not the best trade off. I also did not like the campus at all. They spread everything out, so you will be walking a few miles a day, dragging your tubs. It's not the best thing. The food's alright, same with the dorms. I really don't recommend the camp though, it's too expensive, and you won't get much out of it.