Capt. Genocide

What's Debate Like Around Your Parts?

I totally forgot RoHo, they are among the Utah elite. They even have a team at the ToC. The one-good-team philosophy is very true, I realize it now. I would say Alta is that way too. Juan Diego does lots of traveling, I'm pretty sure the only in-Utah tourneys that their A and B teams (Richard and Katie, Sean and Ryan) competed in were Speech Arts and 3A Region/State. Sean and Ryan also did Silver and Black, but Richard and Katie didn't (I'm pretty sure it was because they wanted to be nice to the rest of us lol).

Off-topic, but is this Richard Idriss?

Were Sean and Ryan seniors, or will they be back next year? I saw them in semis at ASU--that was a really run round to watch. Juan Diego KW vs. Damien LO. Crazy.

Were Sean and Ryan seniors, or will they be back next year? I saw them in semis at ASU--that was a really run round to watch. Juan Diego KW vs. Damien LO. Crazy.

They're juniors, so they'll be back. We debated them the second day of Speech Arts.

Off-topic, but is this Richard Idriss?

Yeah, that would be me.

We actually didn't end up going to Silver and Black because I had to take SAT Subject Tests that weekend, so I just came to the tournament and did research/coached our teams before rounds.

Yeah, that would be me.

We actually didn't end up going to Silver and Black because I had to take SAT Subject Tests that weekend, so I just came to the tournament and did research/coached our teams before rounds.

You badass. 5 bids... 5

I watched you and Katie vs. West at Speech Arts Semis... "Red-headed stepchild K" lol

Well that's a better reason than what I was thinking

Yeah, that would be me.

I lost to u guys on condo. I am sure you could have beaten us other ways as well.

In Nebraska, debate is basically future philosophy majors mentally masturbating at one another.

I mean, we mentally masturbated to the state policy title.

• Upvote 2

I'm from South Texas. Not enough K debate down here, the only ones who do debate K are the kids who went to UNT or UTNIF for camp; our UIL circuit is literally kids who learn about the rez a week before district, our TFA area is pretty good;

• Upvote 4

I'm from South Texas. Not enough K debate down here, the only ones who do debate K are the kids who went to UNT or UTNIF for camp; our UIL circuit is literally kids who learn about the rez a week before district, our TFA area is pretty good;

Where in South Texas?

I apologize, this sounds horrible.

Out in Utah, it's pretty bad-mediocre generally. The entire state has earned a total of 11 TOC bids (5 from one team). There are about 3 schools I would say are excellent (Juan Diego, Bingham and Alta) while the rest if us are just mediocre. Judges are pretty good. Every argument is fine, but the most Kritikal stuff I've heard being run here is a D&G aff, no performance type stuff.

hahahah sucks for you

hahahah sucks for you

It's all good, I'm working on a performance aff to use next year.

Nobody posted about Minnesota yet, so...

It's pretty great up here, actually, a mixed bag like the good parts of the midwest debate community

there's generally a good amount of policy debate with a healthy dose of K

and of course a sprinkle of performance here and there

• Upvote 1

Nobody posted about Minnesota yet, so...

It's pretty great up here, actually, a mixed bag like the good parts of the midwest debate community

there's generally a good amount of policy debate with a healthy dose of K

and of course a sprinkle of performance here and there

I think your right ben although there is going to be some major preformance shit breaking this year and people might not like it.

Missouri's back and forth. Eastern, Northern, and the Southeastern areas consist of generally lay judges with little to no background of policy and terrible teams. But in the Ozarks, Heart of America, and the Kansas City area districts, competition is usually heavy and allows "new" policy styles.

That just isn't true. Kansas City's just as bad as St. Louis. At least Ben Reid shows up every once in a while to steal hospitality food and judge a few debates there. We have very few consistent judges in our circuit.

• Upvote 1

Anybody know what it's like around Houston and south east Texas in general? This is my first year debating but we've only gone to one tournament, my partner and I got 2nd at Kempner.

Oregon is interesting. Southern Oregon only has a few tournaments and their big one is at the University of Oregon where it's all collage tab judges, so there's a lot of 1 off K's. In the north, the tournaments have a pretty diverse judging pool. Many of the same judges, but they all have different paradigms. We have mostly stock issue judges who tolerate speed, a few K judges, a few communications judges, and some really weird ones (Justin Whiley, also known as the puppies judge, who only votes on puppies impacts). 

The debaters can be hit or miss. With the exception of a few people (DasinKapital, is one, he's from my district), everyone hates us. They think that they get judge fucked when they run blatantly non topical affs (Dam removal on the snake river - it reduces TI if you do any research) and wonder why they get dropped on T again and again. Other teams run really generic cases. In total, there are few varsity teams and even fewer good ones. We're about to lose half of the Oregon Policy Circut for next year, and I fear that there's going to be... 4 good CX teams in the whole state next year, unless we get new blood. The problem is that at least this year, we haven't had any new blood. I hit the same 5 times with the same 10 judges and win against the same neg strats that we beat with the same cards. 

I just want some novice team to come out of nowhere and read some beautiful K aff and destroy us so I have some actual fun. DasinKapital isn't a novice so he doesn't count. 

Pennsylvania....eh....not so great

And our school only competes in the state, so we have one tourney a month until state...

Not much in terms of kritiks or creative arguments unless you reall take time explaining them to the judge and not much in terms of depth.

I have to disagree. At states a team running Heidigger won quarters, semis, and lost in finals to an aff with a racism advantage. It may not be hyper-circuity but its not ridiculous. We do pretty well at national tournaments too. LaSalle won CFL's like 3 years ago and is in late outrounds at NFl's pretty consistently. Cath Prep came in like 10th in the country last year and was at the TOC. Where I'm from we have tournament basically every week too. We're not the best state but we're certainly solid.

• Upvote 1

Being from Idaho, awful.

Lets see...

1. The Idaho Debate Code! No topical counter plans, no tag teaming in cross-x, the list goes on. All these are ground for losing the round if violated.

2. Another out of round impact of the IDC: 10 tournaments max for the year. AS A TEAM. What this means: I can't even escape idaho debating by going independent because it will push my team past the 10 tournament limit and they won't be able to go districts/state. And i'd probably be the most hated person ever.

3. For some reason idaho debaters got together some time in the past and decided that argument disclosure would be forever frowned upon.

4. For some reason idaho tournament directors got together some time in the past and decided that judge disclosure would be forever forbidden. And can result in the judge getting kicked out.

5. For some reason idaho tournament directors got together some time in the past and decided that what few quality judges we have will be assigned to judging pf and novice policy.

6. For some reason idaho tournament directors got together some time in the past and decided that only new judges are allowed to judge varsity policy out rounds.

7. Observers are not allowed to flow any out rounds. Even if they are affiliated with a team participating in it.

8. The number of tournaments with "hidden quarters" is too damn high!

9. No judges in idaho know how to evaluate speaker points. To fix this problem, idaho tournament directors decided to make speaker points go as high as 40! But always a minimum of 32 per round.

10. Judges often give lower then 32 speaker points a round (Fun Fact: I've received a 17 before)

11. Communication judges often don't admit they are communication judges when asked.

12. Judges rarely write RFDs on ballots.

13. State is the worst tournament all year. There's an overall consensus on this.

14. I know a lot of places have the same problem, but i still have to include it: The judging is absolutely awful all the time.

15. Teams that have success with national tournaments do poorly on the local level by comparison.

16. There is zero innovation. Teams grab a camp aff/neg strat at the beginning of the year and never run anything else.

17. I go to every round expecting a bad judge, this i've come to terms with. But every so often you get a judge who's paradigm make them sound really good! Then you read the rfd(if there). I would call that bad judges pretending to be good judges. Yeah.

18. Your opponents strat against you centers around the claim that you are everything that is wrong with policy for debate. Not that K's are bad. But that you as a person are bad.

19. Judges often times only flow the 1AC.

20. For every tournament there's typically a max of 5 tab judges at the tournament. And as previously stated, they're often judging novice rounds/pf.

1 more season till college.

1 more season.

I hate the Idaho rules. I've had the idea of an anti-IDC kritik bouncing around in my head for a while now, I just don't know exactly how to structure it.. 

I hate the Idaho rules. I've had the idea of an anti-IDC kritik bouncing around in my head for a while now, I just don't know exactly how to structure it.. 

I was thinking it would be more of a theoretical argument

It is sad that schools will only prep one week before UIL. Why even bother? Worse, they probably wonder why they lose or go to Austin havibg won district and then lose early. Are the students even writing their own cases and doing the majority of the research? Does your school compete in the NFL? If so, what district? Preparation and practice are needed to win debates. Often the team with the most research wins. Spread ability can be a factor in some areas. Most teams in my area will not spread, but it is beginning to grow.

I'm down in the San Antonio area and debate some in the further south region, it's great in San Antonio and downright shitty the further south you go. I'm moving to Eastern Arizona this next week, and really wanna hear what it's like there.