Capt. Genocide

What's Debate Like Around Your Parts?

Being in Houston, it's mixed, but mostly awful.

The real good parts of texas for debate are around san antonio/austin and in the dallas area. The rest of it is mostly UIL-ish

• Upvote 2

Being in Houston, it's mixed, but mostly awful.

The real good parts of texas for debate are around san antonio/austin and in the dallas area. The rest of it is mostly UIL-ish

Where in Houston? I agree with you mostly, there a few exceptions that are pretty stellar that just make it better for me.

Where in Houston? I agree with you mostly, there a few exceptions that are pretty stellar that just make it better for me.

Kingwood

What about it makes it awful? I'm assuming judging/amount of tournaments.

There's plenty of tournaments, but judge quality is crap. Lots of mommy judges. And there's a ton of just really bad teams, but debating in a circuit with a bunch of bad teams, a lot of them think they're good and are cocky. This of course could apply to me, but I'll leave that up to other people.

• Upvote 1

There's plenty of tournaments, but judge quality is crap. Lots of mommy judges. And there's a ton of just really bad teams, but debating in a circuit with a bunch of bad teams, a lot of them think they're good and are cocky. This of course could apply to me, but I'll leave that up to other people.

Wisconsin. 'nough said.

• Upvote 1

We get two worlds of debate here in Dallas. You have the TFA circuit that is more enjoyable ( but ridiculously competitive ). That's where you see the kritiks and spreading ( although strangely I've never heard of a performance being run on my circuit ). On the other side of the coin you have the UIL circuit. This consists of many a Stock Issues judge with a paradigm resembling Katsulas'. Some schools in the area don't even opt to send teams to district because they hate UIL that much. NFL distruct is different depending on what your district is like.

• Upvote 1

My TFA circuit is relatively enjoyable minus the fact that the tournaments we attend are filled with lay judges. Other than that I enjoy my TFA area, (Dulles, Kempner, Elkins area). Competition here isn't very high.

UIL is UIL so it's really boring and makes me want to fall asleep seeing schools have teams running the same aff with like 1 advantage variation.

NFL district just plain sucks. Everyone thinks politics DAs are the new in so everyone runs tradeoff DAs, China Ptix DAs, and then some dumb generic CP that entails the tradeoff DA anyway...but that's just me. It's basically a UIL 2.0 down here in my eyes.

My TFA circuit is relatively enjoyable minus the fact that the tournaments we attend are filled with lay judges. Other than that I enjoy my TFA area, (Dulles, Kempner, Elkins area). Competition here isn't very high.

UIL is UIL so it's really boring and makes me want to fall asleep seeing schools have teams running the same aff with like 1 advantage variation.

NFL district just plain sucks. Everyone thinks politics DAs are the new in so everyone runs tradeoff DAs, China Ptix DAs, and then some dumb generic CP that entails the tradeoff DA anyway...but that's just me. It's basically a UIL 2.0 down here in my eyes.

What school do you go to?

In Nebraska, debate is basically future philosophy majors mentally masturbating at one another.

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 2

What school do you go to?

Ridge Point. Down over in Missouri City. Only policy kid at the school basically, this year marked my novice year, even though I only got started 2nd semester which means I competed in "varsity" basically.

Being from Idaho, awful.

Lets see...

1. The Idaho Debate Code! No topical counter plans, no tag teaming in cross-x, the list goes on. All these are ground for losing the round if violated.

2. Another out of round impact of the IDC: 10 tournaments max for the year. AS A TEAM. What this means: I can't even escape idaho debating by going independent because it will push my team past the 10 tournament limit and they won't be able to go districts/state. And i'd probably be the most hated person ever.

3. For some reason idaho debaters got together some time in the past and decided that argument disclosure would be forever frowned upon.

4. For some reason idaho tournament directors got together some time in the past and decided that judge disclosure would be forever forbidden. And can result in the judge getting kicked out.

5. For some reason idaho tournament directors got together some time in the past and decided that what few quality judges we have will be assigned to judging pf and novice policy.

6. For some reason idaho tournament directors got together some time in the past and decided that only new judges are allowed to judge varsity policy out rounds.

7. Observers are not allowed to flow any out rounds. Even if they are affiliated with a team participating in it.

8. The number of tournaments with "hidden quarters" is too damn high!

9. No judges in idaho know how to evaluate speaker points. To fix this problem, idaho tournament directors decided to make speaker points go as high as 40! But always a minimum of 32 per round.

10. Judges often give lower then 32 speaker points a round (Fun Fact: I've received a 17 before)

11. Communication judges often don't admit they are communication judges when asked.

12. Judges rarely write RFDs on ballots.

13. State is the worst tournament all year. There's an overall consensus on this.

14. I know a lot of places have the same problem, but i still have to include it: The judging is absolutely awful all the time.

15. Teams that have success with national tournaments do poorly on the local level by comparison.

16. There is zero innovation. Teams grab a camp aff/neg strat at the beginning of the year and never run anything else.

17. I go to every round expecting a bad judge, this i've come to terms with. But every so often you get a judge who's paradigm make them sound really good! Then you read the rfd(if there). I would call that bad judges pretending to be good judges. Yeah.

18. Your opponents strat against you centers around the claim that you are everything that is wrong with policy for debate. Not that K's are bad. But that you as a person are bad.

19. Judges often times only flow the 1AC.

20. For every tournament there's typically a max of 5 tab judges at the tournament. And as previously stated, they're often judging novice rounds/pf.

1 more season till college.

1 more season.

I apologize, this sounds horrible.

Out in Utah, it's pretty bad-mediocre generally. The entire state has earned a total of 11 TOC bids (5 from one team). There are about 3 schools I would say are excellent (Juan Diego, Bingham and Alta) while the rest if us are just mediocre. Judges are pretty good. Every argument is fine, but the most Kritikal stuff I've heard being run here is a D&G aff, no performance type stuff.

Pennsylvania....eh....not so great

And our school only competes in the state, so we have one tourney a month until state...

Not much in terms of kritiks or creative arguments unless you reall take time explaining them to the judge and not much in terms of depth.

• Upvote 1

Out in Utah, it's pretty bad-mediocre generally. The entire state has earned a total of 11 TOC bids (5 from one team). There are about 3 schools I would say are excellent (Juan Diego, Bingham and Alta) while the rest if us are just mediocre. Judges are pretty good. Every argument is fine, but the most Kritikal stuff I've heard being run here is a D&G aff, no performance type stuff.

A DnG aff is pretty out there, man. I've never seen one. We just kind of read it in the 2ac if the 1nc is 10 off or something like that

In Nebraska, debate is basically future philosophy majors mentally masturbating at one another.

Gonna hafta agree with this (for LD, too).

I fucking love it.

We do have an extremely erratic judge pool, though. The old guard of judges has been slowly leaving, leaving us in the LD pool with a whole lot of new judges who are usually fairly traditional and boring, or just make bad decisions. Debate itself is a weird mixture of speed and traditional LD , with a bit of krit lit shoved in there

Missouri's back and forth. Eastern, Northern, and the Southeastern areas consist of generally lay judges with little to no background of policy and terrible teams. But in the Ozarks, Heart of America, and the Kansas City area districts, competition is usually heavy and allows "new" policy styles.

• Upvote 2

I'm from Utah, and debate here is a pretty mixed bag. We have several fairly competitive local programs (Andrew Arsht who just won the NDT went to Rowland Hall). I'd say the biggest problem with debate in Utah is it's fairly isolated. Anyone who wants to debate in college typically goes out of state (unless they go to Weber), and as such they don't stick around to help coach or improve the judging in the area.

• Upvote 1

Being from Idaho, awful.

Lets see...

1. The Idaho Debate Code! No topical counter plans, no tag teaming in cross-x, the list goes on. All these are ground for losing the round if violated.

2. Another out of round impact of the IDC: 10 tournaments max for the year. AS A TEAM. What this means: I can't even escape idaho debating by going independent because it will push my team past the 10 tournament limit and they won't be able to go districts/state. And i'd probably be the most hated person ever.

3. For some reason idaho debaters got together some time in the past and decided that argument disclosure would be forever frowned upon.

4. For some reason idaho tournament directors got together some time in the past and decided that judge disclosure would be forever forbidden. And can result in the judge getting kicked out.

5. For some reason idaho tournament directors got together some time in the past and decided that what few quality judges we have will be assigned to judging pf and novice policy.

6. For some reason idaho tournament directors got together some time in the past and decided that only new judges are allowed to judge varsity policy out rounds.

7. Observers are not allowed to flow any out rounds. Even if they are affiliated with a team participating in it.

8. The number of tournaments with "hidden quarters" is too damn high!

9. No judges in idaho know how to evaluate speaker points. To fix this problem, idaho tournament directors decided to make speaker points go as high as 40! But always a minimum of 32 per round.

10. Judges often give lower then 32 speaker points a round (Fun Fact: I've received a 17 before)

11. Communication judges often don't admit they are communication judges when asked.

12. Judges rarely write RFDs on ballots.

13. State is the worst tournament all year. There's an overall consensus on this.

14. I know a lot of places have the same problem, but i still have to include it: The judging is absolutely awful all the time.

15. Teams that have success with national tournaments do poorly on the local level by comparison.

16. There is zero innovation. Teams grab a camp aff/neg strat at the beginning of the year and never run anything else.

17. I go to every round expecting a bad judge, this i've come to terms with. But every so often you get a judge who's paradigm make them sound really good! Then you read the rfd(if there). I would call that bad judges pretending to be good judges. Yeah.

18. Your opponents strat against you centers around the claim that you are everything that is wrong with policy for debate. Not that K's are bad. But that you as a person are bad.

19. Judges often times only flow the 1AC.

20. For every tournament there's typically a max of 5 tab judges at the tournament. And as previously stated, they're often judging novice rounds/pf.

1 more season till college.

1 more season.

Dang, I broke quite a few rules then. I went to the ISU tournament. I got through two rounds before anyone bothered to tell me that tag-team wasn't O.K. and that EVERY CARD must have a date (as in, no "no date" cards). Luckily, I wasn't auto-dropped in either of those rounds.

Also, I still did not know I couldn't flow out-rounds. I watched semis at ISU. The aff didn't have an extinction impact. The neg ran two condo cp's with a single net benefit: a trade-off disad. The aff ran a no link on the trade-off disad, and that was it.

Here's the kicker.

The neg dropped the disad, went for the CP.

If I was a judge, I would have asked the tab round if I could just give them both losses.

You're forgetting Rowland Hall. Other teams have a one or two good debaters, but not a whole team's worth. Sky View (where I'm from), West, East, and Olympus for example.

While I've never seen a whole lot of performance arguments, I've seen pre-resolutional affs about Heidegger, and one about Foucault (from West and Skyline, respectively). Skyline also had a topical kritikal cosmopolitanism case, though I'm pretty sure they stole it from Notre Dame.

I'd say you're mostly accurate about the isolation though. I'm pretty sure Juan Diego is the only school that does a reasonable amount of traveling. At Silver & Black, we had a few Glenbrook teams and one team from Florida, but other than that it was all western schools.

• Upvote 1

Dang, I broke quite a few rules then. I went to the ISU tournament. I got through two rounds before anyone bothered to tell me that tag-team wasn't O.K. and that EVERY CARD must have a date (as in, no "no date" cards). Luckily, I wasn't auto-dropped in either of those rounds.

Also, I still did not know I couldn't flow out-rounds. I watched semis at ISU. The aff didn't have an extinction impact. The neg ran two condo cp's with a single net benefit: a trade-off disad. The aff ran a no link on the trade-off disad, and that was it.

Here's the kicker.

The neg dropped the disad, went for the CP.

If I was a judge, I would have asked the tab round if I could just give them both losses.

You're forgetting Rowland Hall. Other teams have a one or two good debaters, but not a whole team's worth. Sky View (where I'm from), West, East, and Olympus for example.

While I've never seen a whole lot of performance arguments, I've seen pre-resolutional affs about Heidegger, and one about Foucault (from West and Skyline, respectively). Skyline also had a topical kritikal cosmopolitanism case, though I'm pretty sure they stole it from Notre Dame.

I'd say you're mostly accurate about the isolation though. I'm pretty sure Juan Diego is the only school that does a reasonable amount of traveling. At Silver & Black, we had a few Glenbrook teams and one team from Florida, but other than that it was all western schools.

I totally forgot RoHo, they are among the Utah elite. They even have a team at the ToC. The one-good-team philosophy is very true, I realize it now. I would say Alta is that way too. Juan Diego does lots of traveling, I'm pretty sure the only in-Utah tourneys that their A and B teams (Richard and Katie, Sean and Ryan) competed in were Speech Arts and 3A Region/State. Sean and Ryan also did Silver and Black, but Richard and Katie didn't (I'm pretty sure it was because they wanted to be nice to the rest of us lol).

I'm from Utah, and debate here is a pretty mixed bag. We have several fairly competitive local programs (Andrew Arsht who just won the NDT went to Rowland Hall). I'd say the biggest problem with debate in Utah is it's fairly isolated. Anyone who wants to debate in college typically goes out of state (unless they go to Weber), and as such they don't stick around to help coach or improve the judging in the area.

Off-topic, but is this Richard Idriss?