Sign in to follow this  
dkim

Kritikal Literature

hey, I have some experience with answering kritiks, but want to learn how to run them. I know I will learn how to at camp, but I was wondering if anyone knew some good kritikal literature that would be helpful for me to read. Someone has recommended James Hillman's book to me, are there any others that are helpful yet still relatively comprehensible (I had to read Being and Time at least 7 times to understand any of it)

I think it's good to have a certain Kritik in mind especially when learning to run it. Do you have any type of Ks or authors in mind?

My guess on the 9 that will be big next year:

1. Threat construction/Realism/Ks of Fear

2. Capitalism/Neo-liberalism

3. Coersion/Libertarianism

4. Foucault/Biopower

5. Ks of ethics/Nietzsche

6. Ks of media & representations (I'm sort of conflating these two)

7. Perhaps tech Ks (mostly carry over from this year)

8. State action bad/Institutional action bad

9. Race & priviledge arguments based on transportation.

Each of these seems to draw from a different literature base. To say they all fit in one might miss the point.

Solution 1: In terms of the most cards together....you might check out Achieving Our Country by Richard Rorty.

I believe Wolin also takes on a number of the K authors in addition to Nietzsche. I seem to remember him taking on Heidegger.

Christopher Norris writes good cards.

Solution 2: One other solution might be going through your existing K toolbox and finding where most of the cards come from.

Solution 3: Perhaps an even better strategy would be taking the college debate case list and finding a number of the cards in the "answer to critiques" area.

Solution 4: Here are some of the viable critical theory journals (although this focuses mostly on the K of international relations/realism) and sometimes discusses neo-liberalism

http://www.the3nr.co...udies-journals/

Solution 5: Read some of the realism good & the capitalism good literature.

I would fit most K answers into 5 major buckets:

1. Link turn

2. Permutation

3. Metholodogy/Truth (including author specific indict)

4. Alternative solvency

5. Impact turn

Ps. If you haven't read the file that came out of Georgetown this year--it has a number of interesting arguments in terms of representations. Obviously in most debates in the 2ac you wouldn't be able to read most of them--but perhaps in aff. performance/aff critique debates you would be able read a couple.

• Downvote 1

hey, I have some experience with answering kritiks, but want to learn how to run them. I know I will learn how to at camp, but I was wondering if anyone knew some good kritikal literature that would be helpful for me to read. Someone has recommended James Hillman's book to me, are there any others that are helpful yet still relatively comprehensible (I had to read Being and Time at least 7 times to understand any of it)

Being and Time is super hard to understand. I gave up reading it half way through. Hillman is one other that I do understand. I am not an expert on this kind of thing but have a feeling that biopower and cap will be big next year. Go to the Books and Articles section and find books on those two issues

• Upvote 1

If you don't understand it, it's sometimes their fault. If someone makes obviously false claims using unfamiliar rhetoric, then it is a good thing to be confused. If you don't get the feeling that something is wrong when you're listening to a claim that is false, then that is a problem. So make sure that when reading Kritik literature you don't read it from the perspective that the author is always making an actual coherent argument. Authors screw up quite a lot.

There is a decent thread I believe in the critique forum on Foucault....and there should be one on Heidegger.

Heidegger is that the technological worldview or technological thinking destroys being & it destroys reflection. Its more calculative in nature (ie utilitarianism bad).

Enframing & dasaien are probably the biggest terms in heidgegger's philosophical vocab.

Foucault norms/ethics/values, knowledge/truth, and institutions are dangerous--they are all exercises in power. That means almost all affs that do the resolution link to Foucault on every resolution.

One of his alternatives, which isn't used often is geneological--looking at the deployment of particular rhetoric throughout history. (think of it a bit like an etemology of the word--although thats).

The other major application of Foucault to debate is the notion of biopower. This argument links to 90% to 97% of affirmatives. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biopower

In its simpliest terms its a criticism of "national security" and "risk" type claims. The best application of this argument in debate I think is the book On Security, which has about a dozen essays. It was edited by

Ronnie D. Lipschutz. You probably have some of the cards in your securitization file, but its usually run as Threat Construction as a critique of realism or neo-realism. What is neo-realism?

It assumes 3 core things about the international system:

1. states are self interested

2. states seek power

3. ergo, the international sphere is like the state of nature (and Hobbesian in nature)

These 4 are crude summaries (heidegger, foucault, biopower, threat construction/realism), but I hope you get the point.

• Upvote 1

Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari. They're ideas are super complex, and they write on a number of different topics. I would say a few tips would be more helpful than trying to explain all of their main ideas in thiscomment

1. Find some forums and read the comments about them

2. Read the wikipedia pages for each. Namely Deleuze. It's not going to give you a whole lot, but will be a decent introduction

3. Read an intro to D&G, I would say that most would recommend Deleuze and Guattari for Architects by Adam Sharr

4. Rather than jumping straight in to something like ATP (A Thousand Plateaus, perhaps their most famous book), I have heard that the writing Deleuze did on his own is crystal clear compared to the work they did together, and that that can serve as a sort of intro to the more complicated style of the books they wrote together.

I hope that helps!

4. Foucault/Biopower

Yeah, because all of these arguments aren't read every year....

4. Foucault/Biopower

Each of these seems to draw from a different literature base. To say they all fit in one might miss the point.

Solution 1: In terms of the most cards together....you might check out Achieving Our Country by Richard Rorty.

I believe Wolin also takes on a number of the K authors in addition to Nietzsche. I seem to remember him taking on Heidegger.

Christopher Norris writes good cards.

Solution 2: One other solution might be going through your existing K toolbox and finding where most of the cards come from.

Solution 3: Perhaps an even better strategy would be taking the college debate case list and finding a number of the cards in the "answer to critiques" area.

Solution 4: Here are some of the viable critical theory journals (although this focuses mostly on the K of international relations/realism) and sometimes discusses neo-liberalism

http://www.the3nr.co...udies-journals/

Solution 5: Read some of the realism good & the capitalism good literature.

I would fit most K answers into 5 major buckets:

1. Link turn

2. Permutation

3. Metholodogy/Truth (including author specific indict)

4. Alternative solvency

5. Impact turn

Ps. If you haven't read the file that came out of Georgetown this year--it has a number of interesting arguments in terms of representations. Obviously in most debates in the 2ac you wouldn't be able to read most of them--but perhaps in aff. performance/aff critique debates you would be able read a couple.

ALSO: The OP said he already knew how to answer Ks, but now he wanted to learn how to run them. Please..... read the post before you write a 4-5 paragraph thesis answering something completely irrelevent.