Maury

2012 Digital Debate Camp

The Digital Debate Camp is exactly what it sounds like: a summer debate institute which is conducted entirely through the Internet. We utilize a wide range of social media and technology to provide a fully immersive camp experience. Students enjoy all of the same educational benefits of a traditional camp: an extensive lecture series from a wide-range of nationally successful debaters about a vast array of topics, research sessions, and practice debates to prepare students for the coming season.

Our use of technology allows students several advantages over other summer institutes:

• An environment founded on One-On-One interaction between lab leaders and students. The day of 30-student labs is over: the Digital Debate Camp ensures that your student receives direct attention at all times and is never lost in the crowd.
  • The convenience of an online institute. A student is never inhibited by travel or family plans. Digital Debate operates around the student’s schedule!
  • Archived lectures and discussions. Because of our medium of communication, every lecture is available for students to listen to any time .
  • Constant availability – whether it be 9 a.m. or midnight, there will be a lab leader available to field questions and help students work on their speeches
  • Substantial savings over a traditional institute!

More information can be found on our official website: www.digitaldebatecamp.com

Anyone on the site who has been part of the camp, please share your experiences! Our biggest barrier as a camp is our young age and lack of brand-name recognition. I believe we provide an excellent camp experience, but those individuals who have experienced the camp can attest to it much better than I can.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I attended the DDC last year, coming out of my novice year. I had minimal experience as I only attended a few tournaments, but the lab leaders were more than willing to cooperate and help each student based on their situation, making this camp experience unlike most others. Given the redirection from a traditional camp and, thus, the increased flexibility, this allowed the lab leaders to give each individual student the necessary attention. Through many outlets of social media, there was always someone willing to work with me at any time. As a result, I engaged in and received multiple lectures/discussions on subjects that I myself wanted. At a big camp, it can be easy to get pushed under and not end up learning much of what you need to work, however, at this relatively small camp, the lab leaders won't let that happen.

The long nature of the camp is another asset. Most kids end up going to camp for 2-4 weeks(excluding those kids that attend DDI or Umich 7 week) and under that situation, let's be real, after camp, in the month or so after, before school starts, they end up stagnating from lack of practice and work. The DDC runs all summer long and thus, last year, I was in a great condition for when the season started.

• Upvote 2

I think the experience and expertise of the camp speaks for itself, however the price is clearly the deal breaker. only $400 for a WHOLE summer of some excellent instruction is incredible.

• Upvote 2

The Digital Debate Camp is exactly what it sounds like: a summer debate institute which is conducted entirely through the Internet. We utilize a wide range of social media and technology to provide a fully immersive camp experience. Students enjoy all of the same educational benefits of a traditional camp: an extensive lecture series from a wide-range of nationally successful debaters about a vast array of topics, research sessions, and practice debates to prepare students for the coming season. Our use of technology allows students several advantages over other summer institutes:
  • An environment founded on One-On-One interaction between lab leaders and students. The day of 30-student labs is over: the Digital Debate Camp ensures that your student receives direct attention at all times and is never lost in the crowd.
  • The convenience of an online institute. A student is never inhibited by travel or family plans. Digital Debate operates around the student’s schedule!
  • Archived lectures and discussions. Because of our medium of communication, every lecture is available for students to listen to any time .
  • Constant availability – whether it be 9 a.m. or midnight, there will be a lab leader available to field questions and help students work on their speeches
  • Substantial savings over a traditional institute!

More information can be found on our official website: www.digitaldebatecamp.com Anyone on the site who has been part of the camp, please share your experiences! Our biggest barrier as a camp is our young age and lack of brand-name recognition. I believe we provide an excellent camp experience, but those individuals who have experienced the camp can attest to it much better than I can.

DDC Rocks

• Upvote 1

Wait Adam Lipton went to DDC or was that UNTIF?

Adam Lipton was at UTNIF. We had the Heidegger lab together. And he is an instructor at DDC this year.

how long does the camp run?

THE WHOLE SUMMER!! That is why this camp is awesome, you can devote every waking hour or only work when you have time. No matter what time it is, one of the instructors will be able to work with you

when is the application for this going up? What's going on at all? I'm a bit of an obsessive planner so the fact that I have no idea about the details of what's going on with the program I plan on spending at least 7 weeks of my life devoted to is kinda freaking me out.

when is the application for this going up? What's going on at all? I'm a bit of an obsessive planner so the fact that I have no idea about the details of what's going on with the program I plan on spending at least 7 weeks of my life devoted to is kinda freaking me out.

On the official website http://www.digitaldebatecamp.com there is a tab title "Join Now!"

I think that is really the only application process, you pay and you give our information. Maybe I'm wrong, but since DDC accepts everyone, and there are no entry requirements so an app is not really necissary. Steven Murray is a very organized man, and after CEDA and the NDT are over he will be able to talk to you more in depth, but now we mustn't disturb him, for he has begun a sacred quest where he is 4-0 after day 1 of CEDA Nationals. Come, let him be.

• Upvote 1

Steven understands your concern, but for some reason he is unable to post on Cross-X, so he told me to post this:

"Application happens on the website and does not require any admissions process. Because the camp is divided between 3 parts (lectures, debates, and 1-on-1 coaching/teaching), we can easily accommodate any level of skill or argument preference. The sign-up process is open now. Camp begins June 1st. "

That's not possible.

The fact that a simple post like this gets so much positive reputation should show you folks at home that Steven is pretty well liked and respected by the debate community. Also, I feel like the DDC people might want a moderator to clean this thread up a little.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

The fact that a simple post like this gets so much positive reputation should show you folks at home that Stephen is pretty well liked and respected by the debate community. Also, I feel like the DDC people might want a moderator to clean this thread up a little.

Steven*

• Upvote 1

Will there literally be a lab leader awake at 4 in the morning everyday?

Also, when does it start and end (date-wise)?

yes. we will be awake.

• Upvote 1

Will there literally be a lab leader awake at 4 in the morning everyday?

Also, when does it start and end (date-wise)?

Yes, there will likely be a lab leader awake. Probably me (I'm a night owl), but obviously there will be a few hours a day where you might not be able to reach anyone (3am-7am will have spotty lab leading), but that won't stop you from having access to lectures, or stop you from cutting cards...which wouldn't be a terrible idea if you're up at such an odd hour anyway.

The camp begins June 1st and ends August 14th. In the past, the campers have organized additional practice debates and research sessions past the end date.

Also, when does registration end?

Registration never officially ends, but it would be unstrategic to sign up past June 1st because that's when lab assignments begin. Thus, if you want to ensure a slot in the K lab or the Advanced Policy Lab, or whatever floats your boat, you'd have a substantially better chance of getting your pick of lab by signing up before June 1st, because after that some labs may start to reach capacity. Additionally, the earlier you sign up the sooner you will be screened for lab placement, and the better your chances will be of getting the one you want.

I am curious at what it looks like as far as what is cut/how assignments function/ etc. when we potentially are all in different time zones.

Different time zones don't effect the camp very much. Because official lab time spans so many hours, and because discussion is done on a 1-on-1 basis, your instructions on what to cut and how (in terms of research assignments) are easy to carry out. What, exactly, is cut and completed for the camp is directed more by the students than the lab leaders. In the words of Nishant Shahani "we shift from the hermeneutic of suspicion to...critical reassembling...to assemble...something...not necessarily like any preexisting whole"

Some people have been asking for more details on how the camp goes down day-to-day, I think this should help clarify:

The way debates are structured is fairly simple. We create a large sign-up sheet with designated times. People sign up, and every time we get enough debaters (if there are only 2 we'll do rebuttal redos and mini speeches, if only 3 then typically a lab leader will sub in), we have a debate on Google+. Google+ is free to use and allows chat sessions for large numbers of people, which means we can have all the relevant debaters, the judge, and some observers too. This way we can have video chats in fairly high quality, and those are more than sufficient to schedule debates. Most students average about 12 debates, but if you want more it's not difficult to get in the mid-20s. Last year we had 2 particularly devoted students who each cleared well over 30 debates. This year, now that the staff has grown considerably (it used to be just 2 people), I imagine we can get even more debates in.

As for interacting with instructors, there are 3 major ways this happens.

1. Lectures: lab leaders will either type up their lectures or record them on video/audio. These are placed on a Dropbox which you have 24/7 access to. You are encouraged to keep these lectures and review them over the year.

2. Group/Lab interactions. Every day you will have an interaction on google+ with one or both of your lab leaders and a number of your lab mates. We will have discussions on what has been cut, a talk on where files should go, and in-depth argument interaction. These will typically last an hour or so.

3. Gchat and one-on-one interactions. I prefer gchat because I like to collect my thoughts and it gives students a permanent record of the interaction. Others will prefer video chatting, others will prefer email. Typically you should expect either gchat or video interaction.

• Upvote 1