TheScuSpeaks

Species Trouble: Judith Butler, Mourning, And The Precarious Lives Of Animals

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1527-2001.2012.01280.x/abstract

Right now you can get get the whole article off their website, without needing an academic access to Hypatia.

Abstract: "This article utilizes the work of Judith Butler in order to chart a queer and feminist animal studies, an animal studies that celebrates our shared embodied finitude. Butler's commentary on other animals remains dispersed and fragmented throughout books, lectures, and interviews over the course of the last several years. This work is critically synthesized in conjunction with her work on mourning and precarious lives. By developing an anti-anthropocentric understanding of mourning and precarious lives, this article hopes to create ontological, ethical, and political concepts that resist the violence of the present. In so doing, the article contrasts Butler's understanding of precarious life with Giorgio Agamben's understanding of bare life in order to conceive of precariousness as constitutive of social reality. This intellectual labor lays the groundwork for understanding mourning the lives of other animals as a political act that produces new communities, rather than as an individuating and isolating emotion."

• Upvote 6

Btw, this would be good for those of you running Anthro. Also, many of you might be interested in my discussion of differentiating Butler's notion of precarious life to Agamben's notion of bare life.

• Upvote 2

So, the whole issue, including my article, is unlocked. There is also a good article in there on roadkill and policy, for people looking toward putting together an aff for next year's HS topic on infrastructure and anthropocentrism.

Here is the link http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/hypa.2012.27.issue-3/issuetoc

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks a lot, will def read, sounds very interesting.

P.S. Mr Scu I accidentally down voted one of your posts here so I'll up vote one from somewhere else, sorry!

This article is fire Mr. Scu

Thanks a lot, will def read, sounds very interesting.

P.S. Mr Scu I accidentally down voted one of your posts here so I'll up vote one from somewhere else, sorry!

Do both of you realize that this was posted in 2012? Scu hasn't even posted since 2014. 

And Jsourouh, I'm pretty sure they don't care that you downvoted their post.

Do both of you realize that this was posted in 2012? Scu hasn't even posted since 2014. 

And Jsourouh, I'm pretty sure they don't care that you downvoted their post.

Yeah, but Scu is my main author for one of my aff's. I'll use any means of contacting him.