debaterptr

Good Debate Camps

Im currently a sophmore enrolled at a 3 year high school. This year was my first year in debate and I did well. I competed in novice for first semester then moved up to the open level. I want to go to a camp that will make me a over all good debater and with a empasis on Kritical argumentation. I dont want to go to a camp that is longer than three weeks. I was thinking about UTNIF in texas. Is this a good camp and if not what are some other good options.

There is always the digital debate camp if you want to keep up with the topic over the whole summer but have other conflicts that prevent you from being in a physical institute for longer than 3 weeks.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UT has a great program, especially for K debaters. Given, I've never been there, but I've debated against and watched teams that have gone there and they're really really good. I also hear good things about UNT's kritik lab if you're looking for other good options in Texas.

as someone who has been to the UTNIF two times i can recommend it highly. I also would HIGHLY (like do this for sure) recommend the digital debate camp, while having a small staff it is focused on personal attention for kids and works to help them do assignments that they may not get to do in their camp labs. A combination of both would put you in a great place for the year.

Where are you--camps are good based on your location, budget, type of debate you do & the types of improvements you want to make, and some based on your year in school/experience level? Its also a function of your own hustle (how much you focus & pay attention) and your lab leader. Also, are you typically debating in front of experienced judges or mom & pop judges....at most camps you will have to learn how to make the persuasive jump to the mom & pop judges on your own (although they usually have a lecture on judge adaptation--but without any explanation of the fundamentals of persuasion OR how to make your argument simple and understandable to that type of judge beyond get rid of your jargon and talk slow):

• Gonzaga University/GDI
  • UNTIF
  • University of North Texas
  • Michigan State
  • University of Michigan

If you have the extra money for the Digital debate camp its probably decent too. Although, I would only use it as a supplement. I'm sure you could ask a specific question in one of the forums (ie the Camp forum).

• Upvote 1