Sign in to follow this  
Chaos

Hiring Policies

Obviously this varies depending on school and tournament.

But I'll be judging soon and no one's ever explained to me how this generally works.

Do judges get paid by the tournament, or by the schools that bring them along?

Do judges usually get paid?

Is a hotel room generally provided by the school which takes the judge, or is this something that schools prefer to avoid?

I feel like I know nothing. I don't even know the right questions to ask. I just feel sort of in the dark. Any sort of general overview would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The only thing that is generally guaranteed when you are hired to judge is that you will be paid, and the amount will vary, so it's generally a good idea to try and be clear on what exactly you are expecting when being hired. Another thing is how long it will take to get paid. This can vary from cash at the tournament to a check to waiting 6 months for the school to process the paperwork.

Who you are paid by depends on who hires you. Tournaments will often hire judges, in which case they would be paid by the tournament. If you are hired by a school, the school is responsible for paying you.

Hotel/ride/other transportation needs will probably be something you'll need to discuss with whoever hires you. It will often depend on what the tournament is. A national circuit tournament, or one where most teams are travelling to get there, will be more likely to provide housing accommodations.

• Upvote 1

Also, if you haven't already, start making friends with the college debate community in the area you plan to live and/or judge in. If you can carpool to tournaments and ask favors for floor/couch space to sleep on, high school coaches will be much more willing to hire you and will usually pay you more.

• Upvote 1

The amounts you can expect also depend on whether you are willing to also provide coaching and/or cutting updates (if you are judging for a school), whether you're willing to stay to judge outrounds, and where/what kind of tournament you're dealing with. For example, the norm in Texas for CX tournaments a couple of years ago was $125 for a 2 day tournament when being paid by the tournament. Some tournaments pay by the round and some pay by the tournament for you to be available for a certain number of rounds. The latter is usually (but not always) a better deal.

• Upvote 1