EconDAFTW

Round 475 (Space) Econdaftw(Aff) Vs Cheeseeater88 (Neg)

Sure that word count sounds great!

So here's my cross-x questions...

1.) What is your advocacy? Please give me a specific text that I can hold you to in terms of gaining link ground.

2.) Is everything that you are quoting from Fight Club?

3.) Also, could you summarize your understanding of the plot of Fight Club for me?

4.) Do you support the actions of Project Mayhem at the end of the book?

5.) How does Fight Club relate to policy debate?

6.) Are you claiming to be topical? If we win space exploration/development is bad do we win the round?

7.) How is it possible to "disappear from culture"? What does that look like? What happens to the world after we "dissapear from culture?"

8.) What kind of culture are you objecting to? How are you defining culture?

9.) What does it mean to hit "rock bottom" in the context of policy debate? Do you seriously think voting me down in one virtual debate round is gonna show me anything about what it's like to actually hit "rock bottom"?

10.) If I don't advocate policy debate, why does your argument matter?

11.) Why is your interpretation of the messages of Fight Club correct? All you've done is quoted passages of the book and sort of drawn a parallel to mainstream policy debate norms. Where is your literary analysis evidence that even says your reading of the text is defensible? Don't you think that's a pretty huge internal link that you're missing?

12.) Who is the actor for your alternative? You? The judge? The whole world?

I might ask a few follow ups depending on the answers! Thanks!

Sure that word count sounds great!

So here's my cross-x questions...

1.)  What is your advocacy?  Please give me a specific text that I can hold you to in terms of gaining link ground.

That begs the question of what is a text or what is ground? I do not know what these are, there is the 1AC2.)  Is everything that you are quoting from Fight Club?

Yes3.)  Also, could you summarize your understanding of the plot of Fight Club for me?

Why do you want my understanding, but not your own?4.)  Do you support the actions of Project Mayhem at the end of the book?

I do not need to support their actions5.)  How does Fight Club relate to policy debate?

That first begs the question of what is policy debate?6.)  Are you claiming to be topical?  If we win space exploration/development is bad do we win the round?

What is topical?7.)  How is it possible to "disappear from culture"?  What does that look like?  What happens to the world after we "dissapear from culture?"

I don't know8.)  What kind of culture are you objecting to?  How are you defining culture?

I can't define culture, thus I can't object to what is undefined9.)  What does it mean to hit "rock bottom" in the context of policy debate?  Do you seriously think voting me down in one virtual debate round is gonna show me anything about what it's like to actually hit "rock bottom"?

I haven't claimed to show you anything, and how can you know what hitting rock bottom is before you finally hit it?10.)  If I don't advocate policy debate, why does your argument matter?

no one ever said you advocate policy debate, why does anything matter?11.)  Why is your interpretation of the messages of Fight Club correct?  All you've done is quoted passages of the book and sort of drawn a parallel to mainstream policy debate norms.  Where is your literary analysis evidence that even says your reading of the text is defensible?  Don't you think that's a pretty huge internal link that you're missing?

How can you know what is correct and what is wrong? Why does my interpretation have to be correct? Why do we have to rely on literary analysis?12.)  Who is the actor for your alternative?  You?  The judge?  The whole world?

What alternative?I might ask a few follow ups depending on the answers!  Thanks!

• Downvote 1

Trust me, this will be a better debate if you will stop dodging all of my questions. Especially the ones that are directly quoting parts of your 1AC. If you're going to run a critical argument that steps outside the parameters of debate, you should at least be willing to explain rather than winning on a cheapshot because no one knows what you're talking about until you clarify everything to skew the whole 1NC strategy...

So I'll ask again...

1.) Summarize your argument for me please? What do I have to do to win the round?

2.) Please summarize the plot of Fight Club. It has been a long time since I have read it and if you're going to quote from the text, I'd like to have the plot context for the quotes. It's not an unreasonable request.

3.) If you don't support Project Mayhem, why are you basing your advocacy off of the chaos created by the climatic scene in the book? Why are you quoting from Tyler's perspective if you don't actually agree with it?

4.) Why does Fight Club matter in this round? Why should you win?

5.) Do you claim to fall under the resolution?

6.) You specifically say in your own 1AC that we must "dissapear from culture". I want to know what that means and how it is possible. Why do you have it in the 1AC if you can't explain it?

7.) You reference culture numerous times in your 1AC, but it's unclear what you mean. You clearly meant something when you wrote it (not that you actually wrote this aff, but you should at least know what the 1AC means if you're going to run it). What do you mean by culture when you say it in the 1AC?

8.) What does it mean to "hit rock bottom" then since that's what your 1AC says we must do?

9.) What's the point of your Fight Club evidence if you're not claiming your interpretation of Fight Club is defensible? It's not that there is one right interpretation, it's that interpretations require evidence - that's the basis of literary analysis. Where is your evidence your interpretation is defensible?

10.) You explicitly say phrases like "our alternative is" and "the alternative isn't" in your 1AC. You clearly have an "alternative". What is your "alternative" or whatever you want to call it and who does it?

Trust me, this will be a better debate if you will stop dodging all of my questions.  Especially the ones that are directly quoting parts of your 1AC.  If you're going to run a critical argument that steps outside the parameters of debate, you should at least be willing to explain rather than winning on a cheapshot because no one knows what you're talking about until you clarify everything to skew the whole 1NC strategy...

So I'll ask again...

1.)  Summarize your argument for me please?  What do I have to do to win the round?

In a nutshell, current modes of thought are centered around racing to the biggest impact, we talk about things we know are stupid and we don't care about just for some ballots. I don't know what you have to do to win, I'm not going to give you a 1CN2.)  Please summarize the plot of Fight Club.  It has been a long time since I have read it and if you're going to quote from the text, I'd like to have the plot context for the quotes.  It's not an unreasonable request.

Just for laziness: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight_Club_(novel)3.)  If you don't support Project Mayhem, why are you basing your advocacy off of the chaos created by the climatic scene in the book?  Why are you quoting from Tyler's perspective if you don't actually agree with it?

I said I don't need to support Project Mayhem, I can support actions that are similiar to the, parts of Tyler's thinking are supported in the 1AC4.)  Why does Fight Club matter in this round?  Why should you win?

Because it and I are awesome5.)  Do you claim to fall under the resolution?

Sure6.)  You specifically say in your own 1AC that we must "dissapear from culture".  I want to know what that means and how it is possible.  Why do you have it in the 1AC if you can't explain it?

I said culture is so embedded in history and certain contexts that we can't know it, so we aren't a part of it because we can't judge whether it's good or bad7.)  You reference culture numerous times in your 1AC, but it's unclear what you mean.  You clearly meant something when you wrote it (not that you actually wrote this aff, but you should at least know what the 1AC means if you're going to run it).  What do you mean by culture when you say it in the 1AC?

Above, culture is embedded in so many different things we can't pinpiint exactly what it is also because there's so many different forms of culture, to say that culture is good or bad or that we can know it, essentializes it8.)  What does it mean to "hit rock bottom" then since that's what your 1AC says we must do?

Accept the inevitability of it all, we can't know everything, but we can't stop everything bad. 9.)  What's the point of your Fight Club evidence if you're not claiming your interpretation of Fight Club is defensible?  It's not that there is one right interpretation, it's that interpretations require evidence - that's the basis of literary analysis.  Where is your evidence your interpretation is defensible?

I'm saying there's different interpretations of Fight Club, this is my interpretation and I'll say my interpretation is good, I'm not saying it's the best or the worst, the "evidence" is just there to illustrate my points.10.)  You explicitly say phrases like "our alternative is" and "the alternative isn't" in your 1AC.  You clearly have an "alternative".  What is your "alternative" or whatever you want to call it and who does it?

That's just poor wording then, it's not an alternative like "rethinking thinking" or "affirm life", it's just that we should change our way of thinking, the call for an "alternative" like to "rethink thinking" is what homogenizes all these things and prevents them from happening in the first place. I support the 1AC, so I'd say I do it, you can join me or anyone else can if you want.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Can i judge? I'm cool with the 1AC, and i'm ready for whatever strategy the neg wants to try as long as each side has a clear argument, framework, and voter/impact. if it gets bogged down in deep K rhetoric, just be able to explain the buzz words and language that you use. with the performance stuff, again, just tell me what your argument is, why i should vote for you, and why you're winning it. any other questions just PM me.

Seems interesting. I'll judge if that's cool.

I'm down the Ks, K affs, and Theory and nothing run in this round so far is going to throw me off.

All I ask is that you give me reasons to why you're winning. Also a framework for evaluating your impacts.

The people involved haven't logged on in over a year...

Lol and the files are deleted on mediafire