Sign in to follow this  
dkim

Answering Arguments With No Blocks

i was wondering what to do when i don't have blocks to something that the other team runs?

i know for disad that we should try to put impact defense if we don't have anything specific, but don't know what else to do

what should i do when i come up against a new T violation (in this case i went against t-funding) that i don't have blocks to?

T blocks are pretty simple to make up pre-2AC.

Write out a couple We Meets, a Counter-Interp doesn't necessarily need a card, then make up a couple Counter-Standards and a couple quick lines on how T isn't a voter. Oh and remember Reasonability.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

No. Stop saying things

Excuse me for keeping my posts short and not going into so much depth just cuz I wanna try and feel cool about myself for knowing so much about db8.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 11

The idea is obviously to minimize that from happening:

Disad:

1. No link

2. Empirically denied/non-unique (don't waste much time here

3. Impact Defense

4. Add-on advantage ******

5. Impact comparison/Case outweighs

6. We solve your impact scenarios

7. Counterplan links to the DA (only if its true)

You should be generically ready for politics....even though you may not know the specific story--and hopefully have a sketched-together frontline. This only takes about 15 minutes. 10 minutes to read some cards and five minutes to cut and paste it together on your computer.

Counterplans:

Agent country counterplans

Agency agent counterplans

Plan inclusive counterplans/Process counterplans

Excuse me for keeping my posts short and not going into so much depth just cuz I wanna try and feel cool about myself for knowing so much about db8.

It's not that, it's just that what you said there is stupid and not how to debate T well.

• Upvote 7

Once again, SpiderCat is criticizing you because what you said is wrong. Like lose the round wrong. T is a priori as a theoretical argument. It doesn't make sense to say "It doesn't matter if we are untopical, our plan prevents nuclear war" because all of those are theoretical discussions that only take place in the debate space. Even if you win that discussion of those things are good, you have to win it in a framework that caters to the majority, or else debate will become an exclusionary activity made for highly prepared and funded teams. This kills the activity, which is a precursor to any discussion that may take place.

SpiderCat lists many counter-standards/T is not a Voter. My favorite (if I'm reading a topical aff) is lit checks, because it's probably the easiest to win (especially on this topic)

As for the actual post, my best quick answer is theoretical arguments (works well against CPs/Ks) analytics and smart debating. Read their evidence, find some flaws or ununderlined part that counters what they say. Point out bias or powertagging. Weigh your own impacts, do smart impact calc/framing. Perm skills can become incredibly useful.

I had this card on the military topic that said debating about BMD was key to check misinformation that could cause extinction. So it can be a relevant argument. But probably it won't be.

Once again, SpiderCat is criticizing you because what you said is wrong. Like lose the round wrong.

How is it possible to lose a round by saying nuke war outweighs F and E? I can see how it's not all that great of an argument but like you wouldn't lose for saying it...

• Downvote 2

How is it possible to lose a round by saying nuke war outweighs F and E? I can see how it's not all that great of an argument but like you wouldn't lose for saying it...

Because it won't win you a round. And it doesn't compliment other arguments on the T flow to help you win a round. It does not function logically with 2ac strats to T. Like Ganondorf said, T functions a priori to the round if it is a voter. It functions on a different level in the debate, as rather than debating within the content of the topic, you're debating the content that should be allowed in this topic. So making the argument that nuke war outweighs T sounds logical, like no shit, that semantics should probably take a backseat to existence, but the arguments don't function on the same level. The nuke war scenario is within the theoretical world that you construct in the debate, whereas T is about the actual debate in that room and how we should look at the topic to frame that theoretical world in which everything might die.

Also, Ganondorf, I find it kind of amusing how you keep popping in to hold my sack.

• Upvote 1

[quote name=SpiderCat'

timestamp='1329786986' post='851643]

Also, Ganondorf, I find it kind of amusing how you keep popping in to hold my sack.

Lulz, k I understand what you're talking about now. Btw I always wondered what "SpiderCat" even meant... You should explain it.

My freshmen year, I would find evidence indicts within the cards when I didn't have blocks to a weird argument.

Usually worked, and a great tool to have later on in your debate career.

This kid is the reason why I fill my daily neg rep quota...

• Upvote 9

This is a skill you can develop through practice. Go to the NDCA site and print off a disad at random...preferably one you've never hit before. You cant use any of your stuff, and only the cards in your 1AC that you can recall from memory. Now do a 2AC against the disad. Realistically assess if your answers have a snowball's chance of winning. If not, try it again. And again. And again.

After coaching college teams successfully, I can't say this enough:

1. impact defense

2. using their evidence against them

3. add on advantage(s) (you should probably have 3 to 6 substantial add-ons, one or more that "solves" in a different method

than the rest of the aff--ie perception or something else) ****************************************************

4. cross-apply previous non-uniques you've read.

5. impact comparison

I answered above too...which included more suggestions...as well as how to answer counterplans you aren't ready for.

Most important thing:

Read Their Evidence.

1. You can point out the low quality of the evidence (bad author, bad warrants, no claims, etc)

2. You gain more comprehension of the argument.

Specifically for topicality, If I come across a violation I haven't blocked out yet I follow a template like this;

1. We Meet their interpretation

2. Counter interpretation

3. We meet the counter interpretation

4. Reasons to prefer the counter interpretation (Luminite2 has a well written post on debating standards here http://www.cross-x.com/topic/53083-arguing-standards-on-t/)

5. Reasonability

These are the must haves and can be done on the spot. Once you've filled this basic template you can add in any additional arguments you think would be helpful.

Specifically for topicality, If I come across a violation I haven't blocked out yet I follow a template like this;

1. We Meet their interpretation

2. Counter interpretation

3. We meet the counter interpretation

4. Reasons to prefer the counter interpretation (Luminite2 has a well written post on debating standards here http://www.cross-x.c...standards-on-t/)

5. Reasonability

These are the must haves and can be done on the spot. Once you've filled this basic template you can add in any additional arguments you think would be helpful.

This is what happens 70% of the time.

Answering FX and extra and indicting terrible interps might be a bit different. (and even better than reasonability)

This is what happens 70% of the time.

Answering FX and extra and indicting terrible interps might be a bit different. (and even better than reasonability)

If they are just saying the random T's over and over again or even just once, convince the judge that it is better to let 1 nontopical aff go through than punish any level of topical affs. T is incredibly abusive and beyond their fun language, there is no reason to vote for it. Few judges with even accept T. RVI for T keeps getting more power as it should be. What hell I put my judges through when I ran T...

If they are just saying the random T's over and over again or even just once, convince the judge that it is better to let 1 nontopical aff go through than punish any level of topical affs. T is incredibly abusive and beyond their fun language, there is no reason to vote for it. Few judges with even accept T. RVI for T keeps getting more power as it should be. What hell I put my judges through when I ran T...

This is about knowing your judges. Although its hard to know your judges proclivities on this issue without going for it.

To me, unless you've got a real reason--which is fair for both sides--I tend to stay away from going for topicality in the 2nr (unless they massively undercover or mishandle it.....ie they have a terrible interp or they don't have a viable we meet)