Sign in to follow this  
ImpactTurn

Space Situation Awareness (Ssa)

I've heard about this aff, and was told by one of the top debaters in my district that it's pretty tough to crack, and after looking at a few examples, it looks pretty strong. Problem is, I have no idea what SSA actually is. (Is it a satellite, camera, spaceship, etc.?) So what is SSA, and some good strategies on neg?

SPACE SITUATIONAL AWARENESS- THE REQUISITE CURRENT AND PREDICTIVE KNOWLEDGE OF THE SPACE ENVIRONMENT AND THE OPERATIONAL ENVIRONMENT UPON WHICH SPACE OPERATIONS OCCUR.

Pretty much just ORS. You can check out the Neg strats on the Open Evidence Project. UM 7wk put out a pretty good file.

SPACE SITUATIONAL AWARENESS- THE REQUISITE CURRENT AND PREDICTIVE KNOWLEDGE OF THE SPACE ENVIRONMENT AND THE OPERATIONAL ENVIRONMENT UPON WHICH SPACE OPERATIONS OCCUR.

Pretty much just ORS. You can check out the Neg strats on the Open Evidence Project. UM 7wk put out a pretty good file.

I'm sorry, but what's ORS?

"Space situational awareness. The task of tracking objects in space, whether satellites or debris orbiting the planet, weapons systems launched by other countries, or manmade or natural threats to U.S. assets in space, is called space situational awareness (SSA), and it is currently the responsibility of the U.S. Air Force" - From James C. Bennett http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/proposing-a-coast-guard-for-space

Status quo solves arguments are pretty good on SSA, in January, a bunch of new contracts dealing with SSA-related projects were handed out. Here is the one I find the best. They're prolly going to try to pull a solvency deficit dealing with funding, these new contracts solve exactly that.

They said more funding is key-well Boeing just got a contract to develop Space Based Space Surveillance-SBSS

Seffers 1/4’ (By George I. Seffers –associated with the AFCEA “Boeing to Develop Logistics Infrastructure for Space Based Surveillanceâ€,Jan 4th, 2012, http://www.afcea.org/signal/signalscape/index.php/subject/space-based-space-surveillance/)

Boeing Company, Seal Beach, California, is being awarded a $23,881,830 cost-plus-award-fee contract option for calendar year 2012 maintenance and operations services to provide the requirements for the development and delivery of the logistics infrastructure for the Space Based Space Surveillance Block 10 System. U.S. Air Force Space and Missile Systems Center, El Segundo, California, is the contracting activity.

SSBS solves the Aff

Air Force 11’(Air Force annual report to the Public, 2011 “Air Force Programs: Space-Based Space Surveillance (SBSS) Block 10â€, http://www.dote.osd.mil/pub/reports/FY2011/pdf/af/2011sbss.pdf)

The 1st Space Operations Squadron operates the system from the SBSS satellite operations center located at Schriever Air Force Base, Colorado. Mission Commanders of the Joint Space Operations Center at Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, will use SBSS to provide timely analysis of high interest satellite maneuvers, predictions of potential collisions for tracked objects, location of lost objects, and identification of unknown objects. U.S. Strategic Command personnel will use SBSS to provide space surveillance, reconnaissance, intelligence, environmental monitoring, and data fusion and exploitation to satisfy space situational awareness needs of Service members. National Air and Space Intelligence Center will use SBSS to detect changes in the status of high interest objects, which could indicate a potential maneuver or instability resulting from a failure to maintain proper control of a satellite.

• Upvote 2

I'm sorry, but what's ORS?

ORS is Operationally Responsive Space, which operates under three tiers, but is basically just what thefronzenone said, a sensor network with a bunch of small satellites. The only this I would add is that ORS also builds extra satellites as backup for quick reconstitution capabilities.

ORS defines a strategy for military engagement in space that includes developing a military launch infrastructure that allows for launch on demand (i.e. the military will have the capability to launch something into space whenever needed), small satellite development (i.e things that are harder for anti-Satellite weapons to attack), reconstitution, maneuverability, hardening of military satellites (reducing their susceptibility to attack), and space situational awareness.

Space situational awareness is a subset of this broader strategy that, put simply, seeks to "identify what’s up there, understand its mission and, ultimately, determine its intent." Subsequently, SSA allows the military to have better intelligence capabilities.

For examples of successful and well-constructed examples of each aff, you can take a look at Stratford's ORS aff or Whitney Young's SSA aff.

Sign in to follow this