Sign in to follow this  
azay

Payroll Tax Thumpers Help?

Hi All

I'm thinking about reading a new politics disad other than payroll taxes at my next tournament, and I'm wondering what the best way to answer a payroll tax thumper is.

Can anyone help me out?

Hi All

I'm thinking about reading a new politics disad other than payroll taxes at my next tournament, and I'm wondering what the best way to answer a payroll tax thumper is.

Can anyone help me out?

Payroll isnt anywhere near the top of the docket - assuming you arent running Transportation Bill, thats probably going to be the biggest threat as a thumper.

1. Both parties are trying to "win" on the payroll tax cut to have as much of a role in influencing the election - the big debate and vote will therefore likely only take place much later in the year so that the GOP can refresh their keystone debate and so that Obama can pass off obstructionism. While the expiration date is feb 29, congress will probably pass a short term extension like they did in december.

2. Political capital wont be spent; Obama has been rolling out a bunch of executive initiatives to improve the economy; he will accomplish as much as he needs to without congress.

3. Political capital wont be key; Obamas entire reelection campaign is staked on him running against congress, the GOP will then likely pass the payroll tax cut to deny Obama this key election strategy.

4. Boehner will be much more careful, the debate back in december proves that Obama will win a prolonged confrontation with the GOP - they'll pass it since its so politically popular.

Even if Obamas political capital is low – relative to congress, hes loaded

NPR 1-18

“Keystone: Dead Pipeline Lives On As Election-Year Issue†by FRANK JAMES

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/01/18/145410841/keystone-dead-pipeline-lives-on-as-election-year-issue

Obama may have reason for optimism since he clearly has more political capital to work with at this point than Congress. According to Gallup, the president's approval rating stands at about 45 percent while Congress is at 11 percent.

Sorry this card is old, but it should get the job done. What a lot of people dont realize is that political capital is relative, which is probably why winners win, but whatever.

• Upvote 4

Thank you guys so much. You guys are awesome :)

I mean, is it okay to read a politics scenario that isn't necessarily at the top of the docket, or is that way too sheisty?

I mean, is it okay to read a politics scenario that isn't necessarily at the top of the docket, or is that way too sheisty?

yeah thats OK, but scenarios on the top of the docket have a higher probability of occurring, have much better answers to thumpers, and link better.