truepestcontrol

Solar Flared Da Ideas

I'm not sure if I understand the idea completely, but from what I'm getting, the disad would say that the plan causes solar flares?

Uniqueness would have to say that there are no solar flares in the squo now or that solar flares are somehow being contained or don't pose a threat.

The hard part would be finding specific links that say the plan leads to a direct increase in solar flares. Because...well...you can't really control how much solar flares exist.

You could however have links that say the plan decreases/trades off with US ability to combat solar flares which leads to (insert impact)

Solar flares is a nice impact, but imho, i don't think the disad would work very well because it'd be hard finding solid links and internal links and proving that the plan pushes the impact over the brink.

Also.. this shouldn't be in "Evidence Trading," but rather in "Disadvantages and Counterplans" or "Space Exploration" or something similar.

A fun trick against satellite affs that don't solve solar flares is to do something a little sneaky:

1) have a CP to not do the plan and do... something that takes out solar flares with one short card as a solvency advocate

2) external net benefit of the disad and a two-card internal net benefit, one card saying flares are coming in 2013 and another saying that they do massive damage to our infrastructure and take out satellites

3) kick the CP but extend your two cards because it's likely they'll do little to no work on the internal net benefit, and even if they read impact defense those cards usually say something like "no extinction" but don't answer the satellites bit, means you can

4) claim that they conceded that the solar flare coming soon destroys satellites, that takes out all aff solvency and means it's only a question of a risk of a disad.

Most teams don't handle this strategy very well in the 2AC, so if you can capitalize on that mistake you put yourself in a great place going into the 2NR.

• Upvote 2

my idea was that we would become relient on ssp and a big solar flare would wipe out almost all of them, if not everything. then earths population would dramaticly decrease because of lack of energy. we would also step back in time to about the 1800s. this is diffent in the status quo because the ssp sattalites are in space where you would most likely be using those sattalites to run the computers to take someone into space or launch more ssp sattalties, where as terrestial energy would be on earth and you could walk up to it and repair it.

A fun trick against satellite affs that don't solve solar flares is to do something a little sneaky:

1) have a CP to not do the plan and do... something that takes out solar flares with one short card as a solvency advocate

2) external net benefit of the disad and a two-card internal net benefit, one card saying flares are coming in 2013 and another saying that they do massive damage to our infrastructure and take out satellites

3) kick the CP but extend your two cards because it's likely they'll do little to no work on the internal net benefit, and even if they read impact defense those cards usually say something like "no extinction" but don't answer the satellites bit, means you can

4) claim that they conceded that the solar flare coming soon destroys satellites, that takes out all aff solvency and means it's only a question of a risk of a disad.

Most teams don't handle this strategy very well in the 2AC, so if you can capitalize on that mistake you put yourself in a great place going into the 2NR.

This is awesome. Good job. If you are the person who thought this strategy up you are extremely smart. Bravo.

my idea was that we would become relient on ssp and a big solar flare would wipe out almost all of them, if not everything. then earths population would dramaticly decrease because of lack of energy. we would also step back in time to about the 1800s. this is diffent in the status quo because the ssp sattalites are in space where you would most likely be using those sattalites to run the computers to take someone into space or launch more ssp sattalties, where as terrestial energy would be on earth and you could walk up to it and repair it.

I think that if you could find the literature for this, it would probably function better as case turn, as opposed to an external disad, because in all honesty it doesn't have an impact thats external to the case at all (at least for the most part).

I will trade for the piece of evidence that says that solar flares take out satellites. Or someone could just post the cite.

it's in the UMich 7 week ORS aff. I like to pair it with the ev from SDI's VSE aff that says sats key to heg and econ and pull an econ impact card so that teams are more tempted to answer with heg bad/dedev/impact defense to those terminal impacts rather than actually answer the internal links.

I'm currently running a Hardening Affirmative almost entirely predicated off Solar flares taking down satellites. Works pretty well.

I came up with the idea late in the season and was wondering if anybody else had used solar flare as a da and if they had success with it.
I came up with the idea late in the season and was wondering if anybody else had used solar flare as a da and if they had success with it.

If you ever made this, can we trade? I have a lot to trade :D