Sign in to follow this  
TheoryShell

Any Recommended Spreading Drills?

I don't want a debate (Hahaha, pun intended ;] ) about whether your an immoral person if you spread in a round, not saying you guys do but from previous forums and from what I heard of... spreading is merely looked down upon.

- Read with a in between each word

- Read with watermelon in between each word

- Read with a and watermelon in between each word

- Read backwards with a and watermelon in between each word

Redundant. You only need to do the 'a' drill out of those.

Also, use the search tool.

I don't want a debate (Hahaha, pun intended ;] ) about whether your an immoral person if you spread in a round, not saying you guys do but from previous forums and from what I heard of... spreading is merely looked down upon.

- Read with a in between each word

- Read with watermelon in between each word

- Read with a and watermelon in between each word

- Read backwards with a and watermelon in between each word

Redundant. You only need to do the 'a' drill out of those.

Also, use the search tool.

I seriously don't know where you got that from. I would assume most people here know how to spread (and like it;) and if they don't know how to spread, they are probably asking other so that they can learn.

One thing that people have told me to try is to lay on the ground (or you can stand, which ever is more comfortable,) hold up a chair with cards placed/taped on it, and read through them. Your arms can be at a 90-degree angle (straight out in front of you,) or a 120-degree angle (slightly elevated, probably up around your ears or something). I haven't done this that much, which is probably why my breathing sucks when I'm spreading.

You can also build stamina simply by spreading nonstop for 15-30 minutes. This can help you build stamina and keep you from slowing down as you continue speaking.

Tbh it depends on what you're trying to improve: speed, breathing tech, stamina, etc.

One thing that people have told me to try is to lay on the ground (or you can stand, which ever is more comfortable,) hold up a chair with cards placed/taped on it, and read through them. Your arms can be at a 90-degree angle (straight out in front of you,) or a 120-degree angle (slightly elevated, probably up around your ears or something). I haven't done this that much, which is probably why my breathing sucks when I'm spreading.

I mean, you could do that, or you could just do breathing exercises. A really easy way to get better lung capacity is to just train yourself to breathe from your belly rather than your chest, as most people do. Theater actors do this for better projection and better voice onstage. It's not really hard to get yourself in the habit of it, just make your belly inflate when you breathe in, suck your belly in while breathing out (as in back to normal position). This vastly improves your lung capacity simply because you're taking advantage of space that your haven't previously used before and you're working your diaphragm (breathin muscle) which helps you push out dat breath.

You can also build stamina simply by spreading nonstop for 15-30 minutes. This can help you build stamina and keep you from slowing down as you continue speaking.

Getting better at breathing will fix that. That's just redundant, wasting some time, and overall will take longer to improve with.

Now, Theoryshell, I would list speaking drills out for you, but I know I've seen at least 3 or 4 of those threads in the past few months - a year. Use the search tool and you'll likely find more in depth discussions with explanations on the techniques and the purposes behind them.