Dr. Love

Meta-Ethic List

as part of my backfiles project for over the summer I'm going to make a file of meta-ethics. anyone wanna contribute to a meta-ethics master list or collaborate on the file?

so far:

biological determinism

noncognitivism

practical reason

communitarianism

universizable prescriptivism

emotivism

aestheticism

absurdism (yea or nay?)

error theory

• Upvote 1

feminism is kind of like emotivism but probably warrants a separate section. it has interesting implications for both ontology and epistemology.

also naturalism. it's similar to evolutionary ethics, except that evolution is only a subset of naturalistic philosophy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I love your signature except for the spelling.

I'll PM you my email. I probably won't contribute much in the way of cards but if you're having any good conversations I'll be helpful.

• Downvote 1

as part of my backfiles project for over the summer I'm going to make a file of meta-ethics. anyone wanna contribute to a meta-ethics master list or collaborate on the file?

so far:

biological determinism

noncognitivism

practical reason

communitarianism

universizable prescriptivism

emotivism

aestheticism

absurdism (yea or nay?)

error theory

empiricism maybe? 

Everyone realizes they're bumping a thread that's two years old, right? Doctor Love hasn't been on in two years either

• Upvote 1

Everyone realizes they're bumping a thread that's two years old, right? Doctor Love hasn't been on in two years either

It only sinks in if you say it with a demotivational gif

It only sinks in if you say it with a demotivational gif

8nxM3.png

Everyone realizes this thread is two years old right?

• Upvote 3

when talking about meta ethics Ethical agnosticism should lead us to default towards preventing extinction as a meta-constraint on all ethical theories. Since we presently lack definitive grounds for believing any particular moral theory, we should default to rules, which maximize our ability to continue to engage in moral reasoning and chance of finding demonstrable moral truths.

when talking about meta ethics Ethical agnosticism should lead us to default towards preventing extinction as a meta-constraint on all ethical theories. Since we presently lack definitive grounds for believing any particular moral theory, we should default to rules, which maximize our ability to continue to engage in moral reasoning and chance of finding demonstrable moral truths.

ok

• Upvote 2

this sounds like Deontology