Sign in to follow this  
Deuces

Straight Turns?

How do you straight turn a DA? I know it's harder for the neg to get out of a straight turn, so I want to know how to straight turn them. Thanks it advance! :)

There are slight variances in the meaning of a straight turn depending on who you ask, but it seems to break down to two slightly different definitions with the same goal in mind:

1. All offense on a flow in the 2ac. Just turns.

2. Mixed offense and defense on a flow in the 2ac, then ceding neg answers to defense in the 1ar and going for the offense.

I suppose they're less of definitions of a straight turn and more of defining where people think they should presented to be defined as such. Regardless, the purpose straight turning an argument is simply to control the neg flow.

Using a DA as an example, I'll show how it would go down under different perspectives on the term:

1. a. Varying impact turns on a flow. I used to do this on SKFTA when it was a thing since there were so many turns to it, I'd read 6 or 7 different impact turn scenarios and one or more inevitably would be dropped or badly answered. Also impact calc and controlling the internal link arguments

b. Link turn and non-unique combo. Perhaps even a perm on the DA if applicable and a judge is receptive to it. And of course impact calc and controlling internal link arguments. I don't think this is a particularly smart thing to do since these tend to have better answers or better formulated answers from the neg.

2. I tend to see 3 different combinations of offense and defense on DA's:

a. 2AC

- Non unique

- No link

- Link turn

- Perhaps a perm

- Internal link flaws

- Control internal link with aff advantages

- impact defense

- impact calc

1AR

-Non-unique

-Link turn

-Maybe perm

-internal link

-impact calc

b. 2AC

- Non-unique

- No link

- Internal link flaws

- impact defense

- impact turns

- impact calc

1AR

-impact turns

-impact calc

c. 2AC

- Unq overwhelms Link

- No link

- Possibly perm (don't pair with impact turn)

- internal link flaws

- control internal link

- impact defense

- impact turns

- impact calc

1AR

-U o/w L

- Impact turns

-impact calc

Keep in mind, the 2AC/1AR breakdown is only showing what your 1ar would look like if you did go for just a simple straight turn. I prefer the mixing offense and defense and shifting into a straight turn much more than just coming out guns a blazin in the 2ac with offense because it makes a huge time trade off for the neg. Look at the examples and see how many arguments the 1ar shrunk down to and still have a potentially winning strat following the block. With proper 1ar extensions for your offensive arguments, you can shut down arguments the neg either missed or didn't answer too effectively or just beat them back with just better offensive arguments all without facing a huge time trade off.

Now as to why you wouldn't want to extend defense through the 1ar with all of that offense, you don't want to give the 2nr an opportunity to just be like "yep, we'll concede their defense, there is no impact to that new advantage the made out of our DA" and then spend maybe 20 more seconds cleaning up on that flow. Make them have to invest time in every flow appropriately with arguments dangerous to them EVEN IF they go for something else. It sure as hell makes an easier job for 2ar's.

If someone feels like I may be explaining things wrong or not well enough, please jump in and we can have a discussion. Nothing more educational than actually going back and forth on these things.

• Upvote 2

^^^ Good stuff, but it doesn't get to the core of the question. Of the 3 examples above, only (A) is a Straight Turn. B and C are Impact Turn (offense)

There's 2 Turns you can put on a Disad: Link Turn and Impact Turn

You never want to do both, that's called a Double Turn, and actually translates to Neg Offense

An Impact turn by itself is Aff Offense

A Link Turn by itself does not actually translate to Aff offense. It's actually terminal defense. Let me explain via example:

Uniqueness: USA-China cooperation High now

Link: Plan Decreases USA-China Coop

Impact: Low USA-China Coop = Nuc War

If we link turn, we have:

U: USA-China Coop High Now

LT: Plan Increases CoOp

I: Low USA-China CoOp = Nuc War

All you've really done is proven that the plan DOES NOT lead to low USA-China CoOp and thus Nuc War. This is Terminal Defense. You can claim to control the direction of the link, and therefore there's no way for the neg to gain offense on this DA (but neither can you).

To get offense, you would want to prove that the plan ACTIVELY PREVENTS the impact, in which case you should prove that impact will happen in the status quo. You have to combine the Link Turn with a Nonunique to generate the Straight Turn:

N-Uq: USA-China Coop LOW Now

LT: Plan Increases CoOp

I: Low USA-China CoOp = Nuc War

In this instance, you've turned the DA into another Aff advantage. Status Quo results in Nuc War because USA China Coop is low, and low coop = nuc war. Plan prevents this because it increases USA-China CoOp.

The benefit here vs just the link turn is

1. That you can claim offense but

2. The Neg cannot kick their DA unless they answer either the nonunique or the link turn. This is very valuable time the neg has to burn in the 2NR just to kick an argument that they have a 0% chance of winning on.

tl;dr:

Straight Turn = (Nonunique + Link Turn)

It's hard for the negative to get out of a straight turn, but it's even harder for the affirmative to do so given time constraints and the possible depth of 2NC responses. Keep that in mind when you're making this decision. I basically never choose to straight turn arguments because it's too confining for the affirmative and defensive arguments are more time efficient. A diverse combination of arguments is much more satisfying to me than placing all my eggs in an offensive basket.

Are most impact turns dead on arrival?

In addition to the issue that Chaos mention in terms of Impact turns at least--Impact turns have uniqueness and/or timeframe and/or threshold problems.

For instance, economy bad impacts should be happening now & hegemony bad impacts should be happening now. The only way out of this is longer timeframe arguments (Warming, Nanotech, other tech based impact stories).

For politics the story is a little different--because the impact stories are based on future passage of a bill. Impact cards are often written based in that context (ie a timeframe & scenario specific context). Tax cuts good/bad usually assumes the current environment roughly. SOPA Good/bad is probably a better example. At a minimum-the uniqueness evidence read in the 1NC is base on the bill--not the current economy often.

1. The one way out would seem to be saying your evidence is "predictive" and speculating when in the nebulous future that evidence might be speaking to.

In a way this is a problem that perplexes all affs without clear timeframe or now key time evidence (or an incredibly specific scenario). However, in the case of impact turns it seems to be bigger & more front & center (you've got 3 or 4 scenarios that are either empirically denied now or empirically denied in the past (versus a disad scenario which presumbly has now is key time either explicitly or implicitly).

2. Although you do get to win impact D to counteract (but on most deep files thats negligible), but the empirical denial of your impact scenarios is pretty hard core.