Sign in to follow this  
Deuces

Paper Vs Paperless

Paper. I don't compete nationally, so the cost really only comes in the paper and ink spent on it and I have a VERY tiny team so that cost isn't high. When reading I prefer knowing that a piece of paper isn't going suddenly turn black on me. That being said, I also use a computer for backfiles and rebuttles.

I prefer having paper files. I find them easier to read off of and quicker to grab at and have ready to read. Of course, I end up debating paperless half of the time because I either put off printing until it's too late or forget to print. But when I do end up with my preferred way of using paper files, I have my computer to have backfiles just in case I forgot to print something but have it ready to use on my computer and for typing out overviews in rebuttals if I have the time to do that. When I don't have time to type out overviews and just make bullet points on a sheet of flow paper and also don't need to access less used files, my laptop essentially is a glorified time keeper. I love it when it beeps really really loudly at the end of opponent speeches and prep so they know they can't bullshit any more time (I mute it for my partner and I).

• Upvote 1

Ya paper's good on certain occasions, I always have my 1AC on paper and basic DA's and CP's, but I mean why have like four tubs of files when you have the option of doing it on computer for a few MB's

Paperless. Save trees, save ink, save a LOT of money over the long term, plus you don't have to worry about heavy bins, people stealing evidence (if it's a team that tends to save and look over the file, I ask to watch them delete it), and you can just copy-and-paste your blocks into one clean, efficient document.

Paper- for the reasons stated above and the tubs come in as awesome podiums and i love my expandos

But i go paperless because i have alot of back problems and i cant really afford a cart :(

I find paperless to be infinitely more organized and efficient. That being said, I've tried flowing on my laptop, but I still prefer paper for that. I also use a paper 1AC.

I wanna go paperless cuz I'm sick of carrying tubs... In fact, I'm way too lazy to print off most of my files so I end up reading them off of my laptop anyway.

The biggest advantages of paperless are outside of the debate round itself (clean up, no rolling around tubs, no losing individual cards).

But I felt slightly faster in pulling cards from physical expandos rather than virtual expandos. There's a lot of redundant clicking that I find kind of annoying at times.

Oh yeah, and you can't make a expando fort out of virtual expandos. :)