Sign in to follow this  
Nature Boy

Debate Os: Ubuntu Respin Designed For Paperless Debate

debateOS Template v2.0 Release Candidate is here. Please help me test it and figure out more efficient shortcut keys, and ways to incorporate some of the newest features, such as the card clipping macro.

There are two versions: "Windows and OS X" and for "Linux". Installation instructions, manual, and shortcut keys included in each zip folder. Compatibility ought to exist with any Verbatim files.t

New features:

• Pocket introduced above “Hat†for compatibility with Verbatim 4.
  • Custom Styles removed. Instead Applied Settings for Headings 1-4 have been customized.
  • default template font set to "default" to allow best unique user settings. Font suggestions are Arial, Helvetica, and Times New Roman.
  • DeleteBlock macro now work at the Tag level (Heading 4) for maximum in-round versatility.
  • Card Clip macro. We believe it’s important that teams be prepared to jump over an accurate and updated version of their speech immediately following the speech.
  • Underline Macro changed to Highlight, no more underlining, it clutters the readability of the evidence
  • Emphasis macro added (for those of us still under the delusion that policy debate has speech acts)
  • Paste Special Macro added
  • Menu/Shortcut Bar for novice use (you should really take the time to learn the hot keys).
  • MoveUp and MoveDown macros no longer supported (for now)

As always, our goal is to provide a free and fully compatible paperless solution for debaters in high school and college. These changes are to make sure our macros work with as many templates out there, as possible, particularly as colleges and camps begin to adopt and maintain the Open Paperless Project standards.

The final release of debateOS Template v2.0 will be June 15th.

• Cite will now have it's own macro (Bold + 12pt font). This will prevent Cites from appearing in the Document Map/Navigator
  • Spacing for Heading 4 will be decreased to 0.00 (default). This will only affect Quick Install Linux users
  • A few test Template Updaters to change Whitman 2.0 and Whitman 3.0, as well as old Synergy files to the debateOS template v2.

These won't be perfect:

1. Many old templates use Tag as Cite, which causes a Document Map/Navigator issue

2. Many old templates used Hat for Pocket, which causes a Document Map/Navigator issue

3. Won't cover all templates, these macros are based on last year's debate camp templates, if you come across a template with Custom Styles not used by any of the Open Ev camps, the updater will not work. This is one of the issues with Custom Styles that I constantly fight against, as it ruins the macros and Document Map.

A planned v2.1 release is planned for the end of summer and will include additional macros for changing OpenEvidence and shared debate files to the debateOS template formatting.

=====================================

Announcing that the debateOS is seeing a mini-update prior to the start of summer debate camps. Also, I have entered the preliminary stages for the next major update to be based on LinuxMint 13 and making use of Cinnamon 1.4, a new branch of Gnome.

**Lastly, we have finally begun to develop tutorial videos and lesson plans for the debateOS and debateOS Template.

=====================================

My name is Chris McCool and I'm the principal developer and designer for this. I have 10 years of TOC coaching experience (from 2001-2003 I travelled with Clear Lake HS, Houston and 2004-2010 I was the policy coach for Mercer Island HS, Seattle).

We have dropped the Unity desktop and went back to Gnome 2 while we wait to see how Gnome 3 develops and whether or not the necessary components and add-ons for a debate desktop environment will get added. If not, in August, we will switch to the KDE desktop. The overall layout was designed from the point of view of a live debate round.

I'll simply highlight the debate features, at the moment, but we have made this an "Out of the box" operating system that will allow you to record and edit music/video, manage photos, create web pages, includes necessary Codecs for internet and media playback, file sharing, Notetaking software, a Flash card generator/tester, Tux math/Type, Skype, Gwibber (Instant Messaging client that includes FB and Google+), and of course WINE for those of you that simply can't give up your Windows programs.

Across the top is the Debate Panel which houses digital tubs, Timers, Inhibit (prevents screen from going to sleep), Linux Mint updater, Giver (wireless file jumping w/o the internet) and Gnome-Do (an extremely fast and versatile app/file launcher).

It also has an OS X-like application dock (Docky), and a main Menu panel with the expected indicator panels and window management.

Find out more info and about the future releases at:

http://www.kickstart...baters?ref=card

http://debateos.org/

https://www.facebook...176998469063641

• Upvote 3

the debateOS project is almost entirely about finding ways to integrate the available, free open-source software out there now, into the paperless debate world. My basic assumption, when I started the project was that there had to be an open-source equivalent for everything we do. Turns out that there are too many programs out there and I had to try a LOT of programs to narrow things down to the most usable, currently developing and stable.

It means most of the beta is about design, choosing programs, and developing the template. Probably very little will change from now (Wave3, to public beta, to final release). In fact, the primary change from Wave3 to the public beta is that Chromium got replaced by Chrome for the sake of "Out of the Box". I don't like Chrome, so my version will probably stick with Wave3, to fit my personal preferences.

On Monday, the public beta will be up. Probably the only differences will be tweaks to the template, and an installation slideshow. I've been running each version of debateOS on my macbook for over a month, now and have experienced zero crashes.

On occasion a gnome-panel applet doesn't work on start-up, but relogging on (takes about 10 seconds to do) has always solved the issue. This has only happened on my macbook, though, and not with the HP Pentium 4 I built this on.

• Upvote 1

This is so awesome! I just switched to easypeasey on wednesday! I wull definitely change to this once it is released, even if it is beta.

Is Easy Peasey even still being developed? From what I can tell, it's based on Ubuntu 10.10, which would mean it's support is going to end sometime later this year. This is actually a big issue for us, and why we decided to try to take a step towards a debate-specific distro. Basically, the distro we were backing, had issues keeping current and updated.

If you can install LibreOffice/OpenOffice, JoliCloud might be the best pure "cloud" OS for linux I've come across. From what I can tell, though, it's not a distro I can re-spin and customize for mass reproduction like Ubuntu or other Ubuntu spins.

As for the beta, the primary "beta" aspect of this release is whether or not the linux kernel update from 2.6.9 to 2.6.13 breaks anything. I have inadvertently crashed my i7 iMac 5 or 6 times in the past month. debateOS in the same timeframe on my macbook? Zero...I'd say pretty damn stable :)

The August release will see the kernel updated to the latest 3.1.x stable release, in all likelihood.

Is Easy Peasey even still being developed? From what I can tell, it's based on Ubuntu 10.10, which would mean it's support is going to end sometime later this year. This is actually a big issue for us, and why we decided to try to take a step towards a debate-specific distro. Basically, the distro we were backing, had issues keeping current and updated.

If you can install LibreOffice/OpenOffice, JoliCloud might be the best pure "cloud" OS for linux I've come across. From what I can tell, though, it's not a distro I can re-spin and customize for mass reproduction like Ubuntu or other Ubuntu spins.

As for the beta, the primary "beta" aspect of this release is whether or not the linux kernel update from 2.6.9 to 2.6.13 breaks anything. I have inadvertently crashed my i7 iMac 5 or 6 times in the past month. debateOS in the same timeframe on my macbook? Zero...I'd say pretty damn stable :)

The August release will see the kernel updated to the latest 3.1.x stable release, in all likelihood.

That sounds awesome. Will it be an easy install? I'm anxious to install DebateOS on my netbook when I get home!

I'll definitely give the open beta a try when it comes out.

Does it use Gnome 2 or 3? I've recently been using Gnome 3 in Fedora 14 (dual-booted with Slackware with fluxbox that I'm tinkering with but that's a separate issue) and I'm not sure if I like it. Although, to be fair, they are both miles ahead of Unity and I haven't seen what Gnome 3 is like with Ubuntu.

I'll definitely give the open beta a try when it comes out.

Does it use Gnome 2 or 3? I've recently been using Gnome 3 in Fedora 14 (dual-booted with Slackware with fluxbox that I'm tinkering with but that's a separate issue) and I'm not sure if I like it. Although, to be fair, they are both miles ahead of Unity and I haven't seen what Gnome 3 is like with Ubuntu.

As noted in the original post, we've kept Gnome 2 while we wait for the Gnome 3 throwback mode and Linux Mint customizations to mature. We hope that they will have advanced far enough to be used for our planned August update.

Check back later this evening, the 32bit "Columbia" edition should be ready to download soon. I had to change hosting servers and that caused a little bit of a delay.

The netbook edition, "Nanosat" will hopefully be up by midnight. This will look almost exactly the same as "Columbia" but has dropped Gnome-Do and compiz has been downgraded to conserve ram. Chrome was dropped and we placed Epihpany web browser instead. Chrome was using between 150-200MB of ram for one or two tabs whereas Epiphany was using 25-35MB for 1 or 2 tabs.

Does the above post explain why I haven't been able to successfully install the current DebateOS Columbia on my netbook?

There are any number of reasons it won't install on something. What are the specs of your netbook? What method of installation are you trying? Are you burning it to a disc or making a jump drive and something like Unetbootin to make a liveUSB drive?

Since it's a beta, the best method for testing this is on a machine with extra power and VirtualBox or some other virtual machine software.

I'm running on an Acer Aspire One with an Intel Atom N450, 1 GB RAM, running on EasyPeasy. I got the .iso and tried writing it to my usb using the software EasyPeasy had install, Startup Disk Creator.

I, too, am using Startup Disk Creator without issues and have tested the download on two separate machines and a virtual machine. A problem with the download, a problem with your version of Startup Disk Creator, or jump drive all come up as issues, problems with startup disk creator seems least likely. It's pretty hard to screw up 5 buttons and a slider...in any case . . . try to erase the jump drive, have the ISO selected, select "Discarded on shutdown" option beneath the slider and then create the start-up disk in that order. I have experienced a few glitches with startup disk where I've had to erase the jump drive, close the program, then restart the program.

Just a note for all, your jump drive needs to be at least 4GBs, the .ISO file is 2.36GB ( 2,361,303,040 bytes . . . ) may as well check to see if you got the full download, etc. That's the copy I just downloaded and booted into a virtual machine).

I, too, am using Startup Disk Creator without issues and have tested the download on two separate machines and a virtual machine. A problem with the download, a problem with your version of Startup Disk Creator, or jump drive all come up as issues, problems with startup disk creator seems least likely. It's pretty hard to screw up 5 buttons and a slider...in any case . . . try to erase the jump drive, have the ISO selected, select "Discarded on shutdown" option beneath the slider and then create the start-up disk in that order. I have experienced a few glitches with startup disk where I've had to erase the jump drive, close the program, then restart the program.

Just a note for all, your jump drive needs to be at least 4GBs, the .ISO file is 2.36GB ( 2,361,303,040 bytes . . . ) may as well check to see if you got the full download, etc. That's the copy I just downloaded and booted into a virtual machine).

Once I re downloaded the file it fixed all the problems. I'm really looking forward to playing around with it.

I've been using the OS for about a week definitely enjoy it. And any of you thinking about dual booting on windows it's easy just go to control panel, search partitioning then right click on your main drive and shrink it by at least 25 gb I used 65 and now have about 50 gb for extra programs music and files. I like all the bloatware included like DocFetcher which is a must have for windows users too.

Thanks,

Ravenz

http://debateos.org/...lumbia-is-here/

The final release of debateOS Columbia has been released. We will be releasing the debateOS Template soon, as well.

Please keep in mind that the debateOS Template is NOT in accordance with the new/future Open Paperless Project standards because it is based on Whitman 2.0. It's highly suggested that anyone on the team not using the debateOS Template have Whitman/Verbatim 3.0 or 4.0, or the newest version of Synergy. The newest versions of paperless debate in Word all have macros for updating formats from past projects like Whitman 2.0

Interestingly, the new "Pocket" style as Heading 1 in Verbatim 4.0 is something we had already incorporated without having to change or customize anything. Unlike the Document Map in Word, Navigator in Office allows you to create "pockets" without changing any settings or styles. You can see this in practice in the Navigator pics in the OP.

The debateOS Template will work with Windows, OS X and Linux versions of LibreOffice or any Open Office build and we hope to bring the Template in-line with the Open Paperless Project standards in time for the next release in August.

debateOS Columbia comes with about 2/3s of the NDCA Open Evidence files ported to the debateOS Template. Those camps that were all over the place with their template custom/attribute styles were too difficult/inefficient to port over, so I left them. If the SendBlockToSpeech macro fails to work, it is a custom style problem and we suggest using SendSelectionToSpeech for any file that is not in the .odt format.

When next year's Open Ev. project starts to open up, we will create a posting asking for help making a group to port the entire Open Evidence Project for the 2012-2013 topic to the debateOS Template.

Ravenz, I'm glad you enjoy it. That you are using DocFetcher is awesome! We also suggest setting up saved, automatic searches in Calibre and RSS News feeds to help you automate as much research as possible. Bazaar Version Control to keep track of your debate tub and changes to your files is also of huge importance.

First of all, I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure the space topic means a lot to you and I personally speak for my program (a second year policy debate team that pays for its tournaments out of its own coach's pocket) when I say that any help that saves money is greatly appreciated it. I've tried a few time and failed installing the OS on my Acer Aspire One :/ Is there going to be a step-by-step instruction guide posted on debateos.org?

First of all, I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure the space topic means a lot to you and I personally speak for my program (a second year policy debate team that pays for its tournaments out of its own coach's pocket) when I say that any help that saves money is greatly appreciated it. I've tried a few time and failed installing the OS on my Acer Aspire One :/ Is there going to be a step-by-step instruction guide posted on debateos.org?

A quick google search indicates that Canonical and the rest of the Ubuntu and linux developers have not finished drivers for the entire Acer Aspire One line. One of the issues if you have a newer machine will be that support for your stuff won't necessarily be there. There are lists of supported and models people have got working on the Ubuntu support forums. I would do a search for your exact model number and processor. From what I remember seeing, last night, support for the Acer One series is further along with older versions of Ubuntu based on 10.04 and 10.10. Only a few models seem to be supported for 11.04 and 11.10, so far. I'd bet that this will change by the next version.

EasyPeasy was a decent distro. It was a candidate for my team's viewing laptops, last year, but, lack of continuity and development made us step back. The debateOS template is available to download a la carte, now, on the webpage. Install any version of Open Office (we suggest LibreOffice). I especially suggest this route if you are happy with how you've got your installation of EasyPeasy set-up.

Anyone else already Linux should think about simply installing the template instead. There will be two ways to install this. The traditional template installation method, most are familiar with. Open, save as template, set template as default, set-up toolbars, keyboard keys, go. The other method for all Ubuntu and probably Debian systems, you will have the opportunity to simply drag and drop the entire config folder to your home folder (Tutorial video coming). This will pre-install the default toolbars, keyboard shortcuts, and set the template as default and Navigator (Doc Map) automatically open.

Remember, everyone, at its heart, debateOS is just another flavor of Ubuntu, so your best, fastest place to find answers and support is going to be on the Ubuntu and other major spin websites.

debateOS Template update pre-beta needs testers. My goal is to have this ready to go in time for Wake Forest Early Bird camp.

Follow the link and instructions. Specifically just testing the paperless macros (Delete Block, Move Up, Move Down, SendBlockToSpeech and SendSelectionToSpeech

This update brings us in line with the Open Paperless Project and incorporates the "Pocket" above "Hat" at Heading 1. This shifts Hat, Block Title and Tag down 1 Heading Level to Heading 2, Heading 3 and Heading 4.

• Pocket = Heading 1
  • Hat = Heading 2
  • Block Ttile = Heading 3
  • Tag Line = Heading 4

http://debateos.org/2012/04/debateos-template-update-testers-needed/

This template has done no customization to Headings for font, or left/center/right justification. This will be done for the beta test. The other thing it has not done is incorporate the macros working at the Tag Line level. I am sure, yet, if I will be able to incorporate the Tag Line level into everything by the time the next version rolls out and may have to wait for Version 3.0 (as with everything with this project I am programming by reading the code, trying to add something based on what I see in front of me, wait for the error, research the error, repeat . . . it takes a while).

Why is this change really good? 1st, adding Pocket really helps organize some files and simplifies a novice tub (my teams begin paperless as novices). 2nd, having Tag Lines at Heading 4 and attached to the Paperless Macros makes speeches and blocks much more versatile. Adjust blocks by deleting tags/cards, as well as the Blocks or Hatted sections.

This also helps with the newest major issue people are running into, which is teams not being able to provide a clean copy of their Speech, post Speech that has only what was read and not all the cards they skipped. By being able to delete cards live, during the speech, or having your partner do it, we can eliminate or reduce this as an issue. But really, the only real check against this is to not slack off on flowing.

debateOS Template v2.0 Beta release is here. Please help me test it and figure out more efficient shortcut keys, and ways to incorporate some of the newest features, such as the card clipping macro.

Some basic knowledge of OpenOffice/LibreOffice required to set-up your keyboard shortcuts and macros. I am open to suggestions on what keystroke settings and shortcuts to use that are fastest/best use for prepping and in-round. In particular, debaters need easy to use shortcuts for DeleteBlock and the new card clipping macro in mid-speech.

New features:

• Pocket introduced above “Hat†for compatibility with Verbatim 4.
  • Custom Styles removed. Instead Applied Settings for Headings 1-4 have been customized.
  • default template font set to Helvetica Neue for easiest reading. Other suggested fonts are Arial, Helvetica, and Times New Roman
  • DeleteBlock, MoveUp, and MoveDown macros now work at the Tag level (Heading 4) for maximum in-round versatility.

We plan to add the following features before the final release of V2.0

• Card Clip macro. We believe it’s important that teams be prepared to jump over an accurate and updated version of their speech immediately following the speech.
  • Menu/Shortcut Bar for novice use (you should really take the time to learn the hot keys).

As always, our goal is to provide a free and fully compatible paperless solution for debaters in high school and college. These changes are to make sure our macros work with as many templates out there, as possible, particularly as colleges and camps begin to adopt and maintain the Open Paperless Project standards.

For High School students, the debateOS Template v2.0 will be compatible with the templates being used at Georgetown, Whitman, Gonzaga and Spartan Debate Institute at Michigan State. I will keep a running list of what camps have adopted the Open Source standards regarding templates (no more custom styles, using Headings 1-4, instead).

Will it work on OSX?

This ought to work with any Open Office build that works on OS X. That includes Libre Office, Neo Office, Star Office and Open Office. I suggest using Libre Office or Neo Office as they are the most consistent and up to date projects. The newest version of NeoOffice is really nice, native Version Control and full screen, but requires you to be one of their donors of $10, or more, in the past year.

Same thing applies for Windows. All of those, except for Neo Office are available for Windows.