John Quinto

Elections Aff

As of right now I'm running an SMD aff with the rogue states impacts, but I'm thinking of instead of using rogue states, I'll say that both a republican or Obama win in 2012 will cause nuclear conflict, which make nuclear war happen no matter who wins. Is this a good idea at all?

I'm not trying to be rude but how would this be strategic at all? Maybe I'm confused, are you trying to say there's a guaranteed nuclear war (because of the elections) that the plan solves for?

I see you looking at this DML.

It may be strategic, because most disad's have a nuclear war impact as well. If you can win that you solve for nuclear war, you're golden.

The point of doing this is to show that come the 2012 elections nuclear war will happen. This eliminates any disads having to do with nuclear war, I just find that the politics route is more unexpected and easier to defend than rogue states.

Nuclear War is either inevitable or wont happen

Kegley Schwab 91

Kegley, Charles W. and Schwab. Kenneth L. After the Cold War Questioning the Morality of Nuclear Deterrence 1991. Pg. 104.

The other function that legitimizes the military is deterrence, that is, the prevention of another military power conquering or dominating a society that supports its own military. There is a widespread belief, particularly in the United States, that deterrence can be stable, but all the historical evidence denies this proposition. It can be shown logically that deterrence can be stable only in the short run, at the cost of being unstable in the long run. We can see this point dramatically in the case of nuclear deterrence. If the probability of nuclear weapons going off were zero, then they would not deter. It would be the same as not having them. If the probability of nuclear weapons going off is not zero, then if we wait long enough, they will off. It is a very fundamental principle that any event that has a positive probability must eventually happen.