Sign in to follow this  
NobiumCX

What is Reps First?

My partner and I were affirmative and the negative was running an Apocolyptic Rhetoric K and they made this argument but I didn't have time to ask them after the round what "Reps First" meant. Could someone explain the argument and it's purpose, please?

My partner and I were affirmative and the negative was running an Apocolyptic Rhetoric K and they made this argument but I didn't have time to ask them after the round what "Reps First" meant. Could someone explain the argument and it's purpose, please?

You can't use pretend advantages to answer discursive problems with your arguments. For example, if the affirmative went up for their speech and used a bunch of racial slurs and the negative argued that they should lose for this, it wouldn't be an acceptable affirmative response to claim that nuclear war outweighs racism. That's the general idea at least.

i'm not sure you understand what "reps" means. I means representations, i.e. as Chaos said racial slurs. If your aff uses "bad words" or words with bad "reps" and the neg calls you out on it with a word pic or a rep K and the 2A stands up and goes the "we save everyone so what we say doesn't matter" approach to dealing with it, Reps first challenges the impact calculus that you're trying to pull to out-impact the K.