Sign in to follow this  
skingf

Hillman

I'm understanding most of the link/impact level of the hillman k, but I'm having some trouble with the alternative. How does the alternative function? What happens after the judge votes negative? how can you defend that 1 instance is key to solving war?

thanks.

p.s. i've read most of the threads on hillman, i just haven't found anything specific to the alternative or that really answers my question.

• Upvote 1

I'm understanding most of the link/impact level of the hillman k, but I'm having some trouble with the alternative. How does the alternative function? What happens after the judge votes negative? how can you defend that 1 instance is key to solving war?

thanks.

p.s. i've read most of the threads on hillman, i just haven't found anything specific to the alternative or that really answers my question.

From my understanding of hillman and his application to debate it seems the way you want to frame the alt is as a different way of engaging (Debate speak:evaluating)imaginary events (d.s.world of fiat). Ultimately the aff is defending that we need to imagine deferring war (plan solving) to better educate us in creating policy - the alt is saying that a more worthwhile practice of imagination is to embrace war instead of deferring it because this allows us to confront the violence inside of us blah blah avoiding the impacts of the k. Role of the ballot is deciding which interpretation of how we value fiat impacts is best (this should probably be re-worded), this solves the uniqueness issue of "what happens post ballot" and the "1 instance solving war".

EDIT: thank you for using the search function, i award you many Internets.