wayfreshnclean

Best Affs of the Year

Space Debris. Nobody is prepared for it, and there are two specific DA's: Weaponization and OST. OST is non-unique and potentially turnable, and Weaponization doesn't actually link. Possible advantages include literally any other Aff's advantages, because they are all contingent on a debris-free space environment.

Space Debris. Nobody is prepared for it, and there are two specific DA's: Weaponization and OST. OST is non-unique and potentially turnable, and Weaponization doesn't actually link. Possible advantages include literally any other Aff's advantages, because they are all contingent on a debris-free space environment.

too bad there is no "us key" warrant.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

too bad there is no "us key" warrant.

US should lead in the removal of space debris – Failure to do so crumples international opinion and United States softpower.

Ansdell, ’10

d. US Unilateral action first is the only way to reach cooperation efforts.

Ansdell, ‘10

Andsell writes US Key warrants for Debris.

OT: I've seen a few spins of the SBSP aff that turned out pretty well, SPT is also an interesting aff this year.

• Upvote 1

My opinion:

If you roll hard: space BMD/weaponization. It opens you up to a world of Ks and weaponization/OST disads, but you can really push the Dolman cards that everyone reads and make this a decent aff. There's also good say no lit for consult counterplans, coop counterplans don't make a lot of sense in the context of the aff, no other actor can solve your advantages, and I've seen good evidence that says that the USfg has to do it independent of private actors to boost heg.

If you're policy: EOS is a pretty nice aff, but I'm partial to asteroids. Framing questions set up by the 1AC can eat up a considerable amount of the 1NC time, and if they aren't covered it's basically game over. Going all-in on no intentional war is pretty awesome, and if you tell the judge to default to a probability times magnitude method of evaluation then you should be winning 100 percent risk (asteroid collision is inevitable) and definite extinction (there are lots of authors that give well-warranted cards about why asteroids definitely cause extinction). At that point, time frame should be irrelevant because you'll win that wars don't cause extinction. The neg has to do a lot of work just to get back to square one. I've also seen pretty convincing heg advantages with this aff as well as the SDI version which talks about the way the US specifically would try to deflect asteroids in the squo, which are both reasons why the USfg has to do it.

If you're on the sneaky side of policy: ORS is a pretty good aff because it does a lot of things that you can claim advantages from and some of those things, like satellite reconstruction, have a pretty heavily aff-skewed literature base. It does open you up to PICs and agent CPs, though.

If you're kritikal: SETI is definitely the best way to defend a middle-of-the-road kritikal aff. You can defend plan action and still get K advantages. The literature on the question is pretty great, you just need to either be ready to go all-in on aliens exist or pick an aff that doesn't entirely depend on contact to get solvency. Other affs, like irony frontier, are pretty good as well but SETI is the only one I've seen so far where you can defend the enaction of an (arguably) topical plan and still get advantages like biopower, anthropocentrism, and Heideggerean literature, essentially stealing the neg's basic Ks.

• Upvote 5

If you're kritikal: SETI is definitely the best way to defend a middle-of-the-road kritikal aff....Heideggerean literature, essentially stealing the neg's basic Ks.

You sir seem to have knowledge of something very important...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I have to agree that SETI is the best aff I've seen. You argue topicality every time, but prewritten blocks make it winnable. Nothing links to SETI, no kritik is competitive and no one but the Allen Telescope Array can do. To top it off, aliens solve everything ever.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I have to agree that SETI is the best aff I've seen. You argue topicality every time, but prewritten blocks make it winnable. Nothing links to SETI, no kritik is competitive and no one but the Allen Telescope Array can do. To top it off, aliens solve everything ever.

That's great, but there is some pretty good lit about how the private sector is stepping up & turning it back on now, making it non-unique. It was in an issue of Popular Science about 1 month ago.

For me, the best aff this year is space weaponization. Sure, it links into everything, but it allows you to claim absurd impacts like stopping all war ever. And, the only generic K it links hard into is Security, & a prewritten block will do on that.

That's great, but there is some pretty good lit about how the private sector is stepping up & turning it back on now, making it non-unique. It was in an issue of Popular Science about 1 month ago.

Government kept it sustained for about 25 years, private corporations floundered in terms of funding in under a decade. I wonder who sounds like the better actor in this situation?

The problem with private actors in SETI is that it has no economic benefit for corporations that would invest in it. All of your incentive solvency cards are useless. The only reason it has been sustained privately is because of private donations that rely on interest in UFO's. IF the aff wins that there's no major public interest, it's easy to win that SETI will continue to face funding and sustainability issues with private control of it.

I'd say that the best big stick policy aff on this topic is SPS.

Why?

--Sweet advantages

--Tons of add-on ground

--Strong US key warrant

--*MOST* CPs do not come close to solving the whole aff, and those that do are illegit and solve every aff (recommend the plan, etc.)

There are *significant* solvency problems, but not any that slay the aff outright, especially given how aerospace type internal links only require the process of the building the plan.

The best sneaky affs on the topic:

JWT

--Strong advantage ground

--Being debated now (not many unique DA's)

SSA

--Strong advantage ground

--Basically being done now (inneffectively)

DSCOVR

--Solar flares.

And weaponization - just bad.

Impact turn

Impact turn

Impact turn

Impact turn

lolz not feasible