Sign in to follow this  
hypermuseic

Denver East/ Cherry Creek Tournament

So if you don't know, the former Creek-East tournament split this year. There are now going to be two tournaments, one hosted at East/GW, another hosted at Creek. I understand that this will probably split some of the competition, since they are held on the same weekend. Just out of curiosity, who is planning on going to each?

So if you don't know, the former Creek-East tournament split this year. There are now going to be two tournaments, one hosted at East/GW, another hosted at Creek. I understand that this will probably split some of the competition, since they are held on the same weekend. Just out of curiosity, who is planning on going to each?

Does that mean the East/GW tournament will finally get a TOC bid?

Does that mean the East/GW tournament will finally get a TOC bid?

Yes, but not in debate this year. The future plans for the East/GW tournament are as follows:

2011 will host schools from five states - Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, California, and (I think) South Dakota. We'll have a tournament hotel (for the first time ever) and TOC bids in events.

2012 will expand our draw to more states. The goal is to have a TOC bid in PF in time for the 2012 tournament.

My understanding is that TOC bids in Policy and LD are targeted for 2013 at the earliest. If anyone would like more information, he/she should get in touch with Matt Murphy at East or Maryrose Kohan at GW.

Hey everybody,

It has been a while since I have been posting on Cross-X, so please let me re-introduce myself. My name is Ben Hand-Bender, and I graduated from East in 03. I am now the assistant debate coach at East and am really excited about the upcoming Mile High Classic. We have a fantastic opportunity to get a good debate tournament going in Colorado, that will hopefully soon become a TOC Qualifier.

Some great updates about the tournament:

We have already had some out of state (California, Wyoming, and Texas) schools register and are expecting more.

I have been working hard to get quality judges recruited and so far we have some amazing East, GW and possibly Kent alumni coming to judge. Also, there will additional judges from CU, Regis, and MSCD's debate teams.

I will keep you all informed with updates, but obviously I hope you all understand that this tournament is shaping up to be the best thing for Colorado debate to happen in years.

Look forward to seeing everyone there!

UPDATE:

More teams from Colorado have already registered, which is great to hear.

Also looks like we may have some teams from Kansas, Nebraska and New Mexico coming as well. Will update once this is confirmed.

Cheers

UPDATE:

I am excited to announce and welcome Cherry Creek's varsity CX teams to the inaugural Mile High Speech and Debate Tournament!! We are really happy to have the great competition and think this is another big step to building a quality, TOC-bid/national circuit tournament here in Colorado.

Ben Hand-Bender

Denver East

Assistant Debate Coach

PS. Also just got confirmation that CC's full parli team is coming to judge, as well as their Head Coach!