Sign in to follow this  
Guitarhero13

Policy Debate at Columbia!

Hey all, Early Decision is coming up soon and I want to encourage people to look into debating for Columbia University for the next four years.

I don't think I need to go into detail about how great New York City is and how highly-regarded Columbia is in all fields of study. However, perhaps more relevant to debate, the New York City area is one of the most underrated places to have a debate experience. Not just are there countless internships, jobs, and opportunities stemming from having a debate background, we are within just a few bus/train hours of major tournaments at Harvard, West Point, Wake Forest, and Kentucky. We also host our own round robin the last weekend in January.

Because the team is small, the adage that "you get back what you put in" is especially true. Teams from Columbia have cleared at CEDA multiple times and we just qualified our first team in the school's history to the NDT last year. There are many opportunities to compete as a freshman at major tournaments and to stand out at a school that values smart debate and a closely-knit team.

If you have any questions about debate, admission, academics, or New York City itself, email me at _.

Best wishes during this busy time of year,

Jake

Edited by Guitarhero13
  • Upvote 3

Is there an official page for the policy team? The Columbia website only has Parli debate listed...

I don't think there's an official website for the policy debate team. Columbia University does have policy debate listed as an activity, however: http://www.cuactivitiesboard.org/about/rep_assign.php. If you're interested, you should contact Jake :)

-Shree

Would you guys like to coach?? jake you might remember me from utah at scfi shoot me an email

jesus [dot] cepin @ gmail.com

Can someone email me contact information for Columbia Policy Debate. I have been unable to find it.

davidjoshuagross [ at] gmail [dot] com

Sent you an email.

PS: I think Jake Shaner (the president of Columbia's Policy Debate Union)'s contact info is in the first post.

Hi all interested Columbia applicants,

I am sorry to report that, as far as I know, there is no longer a policy debate team at Columbia. The team died out when I was there, and I've since moved away from New York City. If you want to get involved with policy debate, I strongly recommend contacting NYU's policy debate team. If you want to debate at Columbia, the parliamentary debate team has some pretty cool people, including some former policy debaters. I've removed my personal email from the first post since I am no longer connected to Columbia except as an alum.

Sorry all,

Jake