Oscar the Grouch

Sarah Palin hooked up with Glen Rice. this will be my favorite story of 2011

http://deadspin.com/5840042/new-biography-claims-sarah-palin-had-a-one+night-stand-with-glen-rice-in-1987

The National Enquirer grabbed some details from the upcoming Joe McGinniss Sarah Palin book, and this chunk is too delightful not to share with you immediately. Apparently Palin had a fling with former Heat/Hornet/Laker Glen Rice while he was in college and while she was a sports reporter in Alaska, all the way back in 1987. Rice confirms it in the book.

Here's the Enquirer:

In the book, which will be published on September 20th, McGinniss claims Sarah had a steamy interracial hookup with basketball stud Glen Rice less than a year before she eloped with her husband Todd.

Sarah hooked up with the NBA great, then a 6-foot-8 junior at the University of Michigan when he was playing in a college basketball tournament in Alaska in 1987, the book says. At the time, Sarah, just out of college, was working as a sports reporter for the Anchorage TV station KTUU.

A publishing source told The ENQUIRER that McGinniss claims Sarah had a "fetish" for black men at the time and he quotes a friend as saying Sarah had "hauled (Rice's) ass down."

[...]

In the book, McGinniss quotes Rice as confirming the one-night stand.

We won't subject her journalistic ethics to any kind of scrutiny at this point, because, well, wow. And, oh, don't worry, we are all just as terribly confused as you are.

Can you blame her? Dude was a legit baller back in the day.

allstar1997_glen_rice.jpg

He was a reliable 3pt shooter but that was about it. Couldnt carry a team on his own.

Also he went to Michigan so he can fuck off.

how amazed would Glen Rice have been when Palin became the VP nominee? or if he was really politically conscious, when she became governor of Alaska?

I can't stand this annoying hag, but I don't like it when people make issues out of legal personal behavior. She broke no law, she didn't even have an extra marital affair...this is only a story because of race.

I can't stand this annoying hag, but I don't like it when people make issues out of legal personal behavior. She broke no law, she didn't even have an extra marital affair...this is only a story because of race.

I agree for the most part, although there are two relevant considerations before entirely dismissing the discussion of this. First, Palin has advocated abstinence-only education, and it seems hypocritical for her to do that while having these sorts of relations. Second, there is a question of whether or not Palin plays up racial issues inside the Tea Party with various forms of dog-whistling, and it might be useful to see just how that does or does not square with her past behavior. My own view is that there are much more important issues to focus on and that most discussions of this will turn out just to scandalize interracial relationships implicitly, so, yeah, I think you're mostly right.

Well I'm not sure she was advocating abstinence only when she was a sports reporter. And as for dog whistles and such, isn't calling her out for an interracial relationship just doing the same thing? There should be PLENTY of things to say about her without this. If anything, this distracts from the real stuff.

• Upvote 2

Is this a racial issue? I think coverage among MSM outlets would be similar if it were a similarly-situated white player (Steve Kerr, Chris Mullen, Rex Chapman, etc.) rather than Glen Rice. If there is a racial component, it just shows how unlikely the story is (inter-racial relationships are less common, Alaska has a small population of blacks, etc.) rather than a moral problem.

Well I'm not sure she was advocating abstinence only when she was a sports reporter. And as for dog whistles and such, isn't calling her out for an interracial relationship just doing the same thing? There should be PLENTY of things to say about her without this. If anything, this distracts from the real stuff.

If she hasn't admitted past actions that contradict her sexual moralism, then it's relevant and fair to criticize her for the hypocrisy. Second, I agree with you that "calling her out for an interracial relationship" will usually turn out to be racist or offensive. But it's not obvious to me that it's necessarily racist or offensive to mention this as a way of showing just how untenable bizarre views about racial purity are. What I mean is this: Palin has clout in a community with a lot of racial hangups, and the fact that she, a person who they admire, may have had an interracial relationship might tone-down some of their freakish views. I don't know that this will be the case, but it's something to think about. I mean, as I mentioned, I pretty much agree with you, aside from those two quibbles.

I see your point, but I think I'll just sit back and let people from her own party do the lynching. When you support a mixed race guy for president, you probably shouldn't be the one pointing out interracial relationships as a way of scoring political points. If THEY think this is a problem and is a reason she shouldn't represent them, that is their choice. I have a PILE of reasons I don't want her.

The main index makes this look like it says "Sarah Palin hooked up with Sam Gustavson".

Probably accurate.