im pretty new to debate and i havent really debated CPs much. So this may seem like a stupid question for some people but what exactly would you define as functionally competitive? ive talked about it with some people and i dont think Agent CPs are functually competitive becuase in the end the same plan is being enacted the agent is passing the same exact plan without any changes. Other people have argued with me about this but i dont think it is. maybe my understanding of CP competition is wrong idk. Also, why does it matter if its not competitive? of course the permutation would solve but the aff shouldnt be able to advocate the perm in the end because its not an advocacy right? thanks in advance.

A CP being competitive functionally means that it is enacted differently than the aff plan. Like you said with agent CP's, they do end up enacting the same plan, but their process for enacting it is different.

The reason it's important if it's not competitive is that the perm will solve. Yes, it is just a test of competition, but if there is no competition, the perm proves that there is no structural barrier between doing the aff plan and cp together

The reason that an Aff can win on a perm without advocating it is very similar to why a Neg can win on a CP without advocating it. A counterplan doesn't say 'we should do this instead' so much as 'we shouldn't do your plan because it prevents this, which is better.' Similarly, a perm isn't 'we should do this' so much as 'the plan doesn't actually prevent that.' The idea is that if the CP isn't prevented by the plan, then we don't really need to debate about it because it could still happen, with or without the plan. An Aff ballot on a perm doesn't enact the perm; it just enacts the plan while affirming that the perm is still a possibility.

As Rawrcat said, Agent CP's are functionally competitive. However, there are many other theoretical objections that can be made to them, but most of those are better suited to a different thread.

• Upvote 1