Sign in to follow this  
Killa Kev

Micro politics answers

Are there any good micro politics bad/doesn't solve/non logistical arugments out there for a micro vs macro politics debate or do they all suck?

I think there are some which are post-modern politics = bad. Many are from race or feminism based scholars....although certainly marxists have their own take.

I imagine there has to be a micro vs. macro tradeoff argument.

The question though is....in the context of debate.....or in the academy (university or educational setting).....what exactly is your alternative?

1. Paul Manns Stupid Underground has some interesting arguments. The name of his other article escapes me.

I think you can read it without an alternative.

2. Oh....Empire K is another argument. (I'm not a fan of this argument, but I think it can function as takeouts.....)

3. Commodification (various flavors of this). Protesters turn into mercedes marxists & yuppies. Protest movements get commodified as the latest craze. Its based on history of movement politics.

4. The other options are micro-political still = speaking for others.....and depending on how they run it (Alcoff is the author) Various forms of essentialism or victimhood or images of suffering bad. (This line of argument seems hard for me to identify with, but perhaps its viable).

5. Normativity (or other versions of Schlag's thesis....Phrenology or one of his other articles)

6. Power Vacuum or Realism. Tons of authors make this argument. Rorty among others. Nial Fergusson (hege author).

7. Elites Backlash. This is a way to get more traction from #6, but serves as a decent arg. The only perspective I know this comes from is a feminist one, but its empirically proven if you look at how police crack down on protesters with tear gas & put them in prison. Others die or are disappeared.

8. You can run the "I" counterplan to solve the case and run government disads to the plan text. Jim George as the author.

9. You might be able to make Nayar Global/Local. I remember having a version of this which answered performative type teams. It may be possible to use this instead of Jim George as the net benefit to the "I" counterplan.

10. Ks of representations are killers for critical affirmatives.

11. Multi-dimensionality or priviledge (doesn't link this year almost at all....unless they talk about minorities).

12. Rights Malthus. Power good to save the environment and avoid scarcity enduced extinction. (this links hard into Foucault biopower, but who cares, its an impact turn). You have to win the "reps" debate still. (or say enemies, materialism, techno-power good with other impact turns from other files).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

You don't want to argue that a micropolitics alternative can't solve. Permute it through a defense of both micro and macro political change.

If they are aff (ie a micro-politics affirmative), what prevents them from perming back? There argument would be....the perm is our ground...and if anything we can spur the other one. Micro-political is the pre-condition for viable macro-political. Without grassroots support...you fail. See every policy in history. (but specifically civil rights and the recent health care debate). Theres even a famous quote from a president about how he needed the movement to act before he could take on Congress.

Whether movements are micro or macro....or both.....may be another question...which would be interesting to have.

You don't want to argue that a micropolitics alternative can't solve. Permute it through a defense of both micro and macro political change.

This is a good answer... but I don't think it puts you on the right side of the debate. The evidence that macro co-opts micro is much better than vice versa. (Todd May comes to mind)

micro backfires and leads to macro. Which means two things; 1. macro is inevitable 2. they don't solve shit

nothing changed when I was babbling about micropolitcs solving shit when I was in debate... The greater picture is that the "micropolitical" movement within the debate round hasn't done anything, and never will. macro = change and micro = complacency.

im kinda drunk so hopefully wordz guuuuuuud.

If you want the K route, I know that Baudrillard and fellow nonsensical French philosophers say that micro-political movements get co-opted.

The other side of this debate is the RISK of change. Change in the macro-political side is a HUGE gamble in some respects.

Should I invest $1 million in direct funding to educational innovation--perhaps software or a mobile education app OR send $1 million to capital hill to ATTEMPT get my bidding done. Think you can take down the teachers unions who have 20X your funding and established and long lasting relationships? Admittedly your policy might work with existing movements & powers that be, so this isn't always the case.

Just ask yourself....why does so many great policy ideas never see the light of day?

I didn't see Nathan's first post, so I just wanted to endorse reading Stupid Underground. It'll probably be a good idea.

I know there's some good arguments in there, I just can't remember if any of them address micropolitics. Even if they don't, he still has good answers to many types of K alternatives.

EDIT: Also Hulk is a pro. I'm pretty sure he used to read a Foucault strategy that hinged on winning that micropolitics were better than macropolitics, so he's definitely an expert on this subject. Listen to him.

Edited by Chaos
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't think Mann specifically says "micro-politics" but rather speaks to "radicals" and "underground movements." Creating associations between that (in both cross ex and in your tags) and what the aff/neg does should work.