SoonerDebate

Critical Debaters Handbook.....

Hello,

I am about to be finished with my "Critical Debaters Handbook". The purpose of the handbook is to help debaters who want to be successful in alternative debate methods and styles.

Here is the index. It should be available next week.

I - Argument

II - Research

III - Debate About Debate

IV - Framework

V - Topicality

VI - Debating Affirmative

VII - Debating Negative

VIII - Method/Praxis/Form/Content

IX - Putting it all together in the debate

X - BIBLIOGRAPHIES/SAMPLES

- Debate About Debate

- Anti-K Framework Article Bibliography

- Bibliographies of citations to common Critique Arguments

- Frontline Samples of arguments against Kritiks

email: Soonerdebate@gmail.com if this interests you.

Massey

OU Debate

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

"Not every debater can fit into the square hole of policy debate. Some people need round holes, or obtuse holes or no hole at all. I think each debater brings their own style to debate. The question is do they take up a method of debate that allows them to access that style?"

Massey

soonerdebate.com

• Upvote 1

Just a preview.

The language of the K.....

------------

AFFIRMATIVE LANGUAGE

The Link Debate

“Their links are not about us. Their ____________ evidence and ____________ evidence do not about the affirmative.â€

“We have isolated ________________ link turns in our ________________ evidence. Our link turns allow us to access their impacts better than their links.â€

If true: “The negative links to their own argument in their ___________________________ evidence.â€

The Impact Debate

“The impacts of the criticism are not based on links to the affirmative because _________.â€

“The impacts of the affirmative outweigh the impacts of the criticism because _________â€

“Only by solving the affirmative impacts can we be able to address the negative impacts because _________â€

The Permutation Debate

“The permutation is ________________. Our evidence Is _____________(read it if 2ac)

“There are _________ net benefits to the permutation. They are 1…..2….3….

“The permutation solves the criticismâ€

“The permutation solves caseâ€

(If 1ar) “We have more permutation evidence___ (read another card)

The Alternative Debate

“The alternative does not solve the affirmative because _________â€

“The alternative does not solve for the impacts of the criticism because_________â€

If relevant: “The alternative does solve for external net benefits of the criticismâ€

“We have __________ disadvantages to the alternative. They are 1……2…..3…..â€

“The disadvantages to the alternative outweigh the net-benefits of the alternative vs. the affirmative because _______________â€

------

Just a preview. Its not an evidence handbook...it is a guide on how to be a K/alternative style debater, where you can pick up any K/non-traditional argument or create your own......

It will have pages of cites to specific K's, but the best debaters learn to cut their own evidence and not rely on other peoples interpretation/cut of evidence......

Soonerdebate@gmail.com

Here is one review. I am waiting on the other from another college debate coach.

------------------

Overall I would say this is a “must read†for all debaters, whether or not a debater is interested in “K debate.†It is a must read because it puts the debate into easy-to-understand pieces by one of the most successful coaches in the country over the past ten years; the pieces each make sense in a larger context; and the emphasis is on specific arguments and not simply repeating jargon. In other words, to understand the core arguments that surround kritiking, this is one of the best documents available. This handbook is also a must read for anyone involved in debate because it dispels some of the myths about kritik debate (that it is somehow easier, that K debate is for lazy debaters, that K debate is just about framework, or that you can learn about debate without learning about the rise and importance of Philosophy in debate). Even though this volume of the handbook does not spend a lot of time discussing style directly, there is certainly a sensibility or “mode†of kritik debate that transcends the specific line-by-line that comes through the discussion here. Thinking about the generic arguments levied against kritiks can make it quite easy to prepare responses and to be a few levels deeper than your opponents. That is where the value of this guidebook really comes to the surface: improving argumentation involving kritiks. Students who want to get better at making good arguments need to read this handbook—it will help students make arguments that are direct, persuasive, and contextual. Most importantly, it will give debaters a chance to predict what arguments will be advanced by opponents, isolate the weaknesses in those arguments, and then make on-point responses that do not dodge the fundamental question being asked, whether that question is about the purpose of debate, the nature of politics, the ability to create “fair†space for deliberation, or the importance of evidence. The use of jargon is almost always a crutch—a means to mask a weaker argument or the means to bulldoze over an opponent with less experience—and Massey’s guidebook cuts through the jargon, explains terms with clarity, and then moves through the context behind the jargon so it becomes much easier to extend and explain a position without hiding behind the flow or relying too much on repetition. Education and participation are the primary goals, but competition does not hurt and the ability to win debates against poorly-formulated jargon is an important skill. This guide will help enhance that skill as well as point students in the right direction for improving arguments and getting more specific. The topics and hints are abundant here and are outstanding, but the larger message about taking debate where you want it to be and putting in effort on explanation and meaning is one that cannot be ignored and should persist as debate continues its r/evolutionary path.

Sincerely,

Kevin Kuswa

CSU Fresno

The handbook is ready. Email soonerdebate@gmail.com if you are interested in buying one.

81 pages total. 20 pages of citations for the critical debater!

Massey

soonerdebate.com

The handbook is ready. Email soonerdebate@gmail.com if you are interested in buying one.

81 pages total. 20 pages of citations for the critical debater!

Massey

soonerdebate.com

What's the price?

22.00 pdf

That's a very reasonable price for the size of this handbook. I'd suggest any debater interested in debating or answering "The K" purchase this document.

• Upvote 1

I would like to also add that the profits from the Handbook go to support 2 ex (K) debaters/coaches who are running for public office and to financially support OU UDL debaters.

• Upvote 1

Bought and read, and this is one of the best all purpose guides to debating the K. For the novice who is interested in running the K (and winning with it), this is one of the first places to start. It jumps you right into the meat of the issue while still going the extra mile to explain concepts and ideas that you'll need to win against policy teams. And for the novice who just needs to have defense, it has a strong section explaining the arguments that can be made against an opponents kriticism, as well as specific responses to some of the most common Ks in the forum. Those of you interested in building a K from the ground up, but unsure where to start, need not fear. The book includes organized lists of citations to a broad range of authors and subjects for you to work with, both advocating and refuting kritikal concepts. Now, the advanced debaters shouldn't feel left out, because the book has gone to great lengths to explain important strategies for winning the debate, and capitalizing on your opponents weaknesses. These are the strategies used by college debaters, such as our esteemed author, and when used properly, will make the difference in those close rounds. I needn't explain that knowing the strategies will also help you answer them. All in all, a read worth having. And the money does go to a good cause...

-Bostwick

About the Author.... Some of you may not know who I am.

I am the Director of Debate at OU. To see how successful we have been as a K team go to Soonerdebate.com.

I created/established the team 8 years ago and some of our great debaters and coaches include Nick Watts, Conor Cleary, Blake Johnson, Rj Giglio, Jason Russell and Gabe Murillo.

Just wanted to give you more information on who created the handbook.

We just got our 4th Kentucky Round Robin bid this year for example. 4/9 years.

Massey

Hello,

As people have found out, I am pretty liberal with the selling of the handbook. Some people I have offered them one before they pay, just so they can make sure it is worth it for them.

So if your interested, don't hesitate to see if we can work something out. If you are a K debater, I want you to see one.

Massey

OU Debate

Gah I want it but the whole buying-stuff scenario doesn't work out for me... Poor high school kid whose school's debate budget is 0...

Nothing has changed.

CEDE the POLITICAL seems to be the catch phrase.....but as i say....if your debating then your not ceding anything......

Critical Debaters Handbook!

Soonerdebate@gmail.com

I just got the book and it seems like it will be interesting. I have read the first few pages and i will probably finish it by the end of this week.

yes...email "soonerdebate@gmail.com"

Ignacio Evans and I are also working on a handbook for those who want to debate about issues such as whiteness, white supremacy, anti-blackness and anti-redness.

peace,

jackie