Sign in to follow this  
artie

NFL free agency: one week extravaganza!

hey ben, you should tell me how the chiefs are going to do this year.

SUPERBOWL OR BUST.

Realistically, they'll either win the AFC West or come in second. They'll have a slim shot at a wildcard. The only AFC team I think is definitely better is New York. New England, Baltimore and Pittsburgh are all probably better than, but perhaps equivalent to, the Chiefs.

Everyone says the Lions will be a playoff team.

This will cause them to go 0-17

• Upvote 1

SUPERBOWL OR BUST.

Realistically, they'll either win the AFC West or come in second. They'll have a slim shot at a wildcard. The only AFC team I think is definitely better is New York. New England, Baltimore and Pittsburgh are all probably better than, but perhaps equivalent to, the Chiefs.

i don't know. as far as the afc west goes, i think it's very much a wide-open race given how last year played out. the chargers briefly reappeared by the sheer determination of phillip rivers' grimace; the raiders won all division games, despite their coach being named tom cable. forget the broncos, everyone else did. in reverse order:

broncos- it'll be interesting to see what the first year of proxy elway does. tebow, like it or not (and i definitely don't), is looking to give orton a run for his starter slot and could possibly command the offense to bend to his will. the defense-heavy draft supplement at least suggests that management is satisfied with the offense, too. big names (cox, dumervil) come back from injury and the addition of miller means that at least they'll be ok. i'd probably peg them to end third or fourth in 2011-2012, though.

raiders- oh yeah, this team exists. the raiders somehow managed to screw it on last year and eke out a .500 season. maybe campbell realized that playing in the nfl requires stepping up your game? the offense could produce when needed, generally- only three of their losses were by more than one possession, and only one was at home. i'd lean on it being a fluke, though. plus, losing asomugha at cb is probably going to be the nail in the coffin for the season. without actually sifting through stats/tape, i'm willing to bet that at least two games (at rams [win, 16-14] and vs chiefs [win, 23-20 (ot)]) were won by his ability to shut down the down-field pass.

chargers- i learned my lesson in betting against phillip rivers. seriously. now that mathews has a year under his belt, i expect him to be able to break off another run or two. hell, the entire offense that was plagued with looking like rookies a lot of the time should be more mature now. no big names stick out of the draft other than liuget and mouton. even though they lost weddle, i expect norv turner to fix that.

and finally the chiefs. there was a ridiculous amount of movement during free agency. breaston could definitely provide cassel with another explosive weapon, just as moeaki helped provide that spark last year. but, i have two major hangups about them: 1) cassel as an elite quarterback; 2) team cohesion. don't get me wrong, cassel has shown his mettle a time or two since he randomly appeared in new england. especially last year. but he has also shown the propensity to, at times, utterly implode. and that's my concern area- how well will he stand up to the pressure of proving himself now that he's been to the pro bowl and he's no longer under the radar? i can definitely see him excelling, but i can also see him faltering and handing the job back to croyle or stanzi- in which case, you don't really have a season (except for maybe the stanzi-moeaki connection). for the b point, i don't know how well breaston is going to fit in with the receiver corps. he's been on a championship-contender team, played with hall of famers (warner, fitzgerald, beanie wells- oh wait, the hall of fame is for people that actually do shit); can he handle being a second fiddle for cassel?

as a final note, the back end of their schedule is pretty brutal. weeks 11-15: at patriots, vs steelers, at bears, at jets, vs. packers.

Jamaal Charles is going to run for 75 ypc.

I'll have a substantive post after I finish this episode of The Wire.

thought while i'm playing madden: this year cassel reminds me of matt schaub of last year. both came of exceedingly good years and looked primed to blow the lid off in the next. then matt schaub went back to being matt schaub

Am I the only one who thinks that the Bronco's would be utterly insane to start Tim Tebow? I feel like he sucks.

Am I the only one who thinks that the Bronco's would be utterly insane to start Tim Tebow? I feel like he sucks.

as much as i hate the tebow personality, he has one thing that is missing in a lot of nfl players- insatiable drive. combined with the facts that kyle orton flounders very often, elway's got a massive boner for tebow, and he's got something to prove to the media and broncos' front office, it's entirely possible that he gets the starting spot after camp and the preseason. even if he DOESN'T get the spot, if orton goes down then it's tebow. and i really doubt that tebow is going to relinquish the spot.

How good Tim Tebow is doesn't matter because Matt Cassel is going to throw for 10,000 yards this year. 150 TD and 1 interception (we have to play the Jets). Eric Berry will have 50 interceptions and Tamba Hali will actually kill a quarterback this year. He'll weep, but it won't be his fault. He's simply too much man.

• Upvote 1

as much as i hate the tebow personality, he has one thing that is missing in a lot of nfl players- insatiable drive. combined with the facts that kyle orton flounders very often, elway's got a massive boner for tebow, and he's got something to prove to the media and broncos' front office, it's entirely possible that he gets the starting spot after camp and the preseason. even if he DOESN'T get the spot, if orton goes down then it's tebow. and i really doubt that tebow is going to relinquish the spot.

There is no doubt that he has the drive to learn the game and compete at a high level, but I question the idea that Tebow can or should be the starting quarterback for the Bronco's THIS season. It takes most rookie quarterbacks that ran pro style offenses in college at least a year to learn how to play in the NFL. I think that it will take more than just one season for someone who was in an offense like Florida's to adapt to the way the game is played professionally.

There is no doubt that he has the drive to learn the game and compete at a high level, but I question the idea that Tebow can or should be the starting quarterback for the Bronco's THIS season. It takes most rookie quarterbacks that ran pro style offenses in college at least a year to learn how to play in the NFL. I think that it will take more than just one season for someone who was in an offense like Florida's to adapt to the way the game is played professionally.

have you seen kyle orton play football? the point isn't whether or not he's good enough. the point is that he may very well come out looking as the lesser of two evils.