Sign in to follow this  
Mister Sulu

Missouri at NFL Nationals 2011

Missouri has sent five policy teams to the top 60 at the NFL national tournament. Congrats to Parkway Central Du/Gururaj, Nixa Erwin/Smith, Pembroke Hill Hodgman/Vedantam, Marquette Johnson/Flint and Lee's Summit West Kim/Chang. In addition, we have two LD debaters in the top 60. Congrats again to Jeanie Lohnes and Maisie Baldwin from Park Hill South and Aaron Malin from Marquette. I know there are a slew of Missouri teams still in Public Forum, and a smattering of kids in a number of other events as well. Working to get those names now.

Best name on the list for policy: Kentucky Morrow. Awesome.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Missouri has sent five policy teams to the top 60 at the NFL national tournament. Congrats to Parkway Central Du/Gururaj, Nixa Erwin/Smith, Pembroke Hill Hodgman/Vedantam, Marquette Johnson/Flint and Lee's Summit West Kim/Chang. In addition, we have two LD debaters in the top 60. Congrats again to Jeanie Lohnes from Park Hill South and Aaron Malin from Marquette. I know there are a slew of Missouri teams still in Public Forum, and a smattering of kids in a number of other events as well. Working to get those names now.

Best name on the list for policy: Kentucky Morrow. Awesome.

Maisie broke in ld too. she's out. In addition, Forrest Richardson and Luke Bishop are waiting to see if they broke to sems in DX and IX respectively. missouri's not doing as good this year sadly...

Maisie broke in ld too. she's out. In addition, Forrest Richardson and Luke Bishop are waiting to see if they broke to sems in DX and IX respectively. missouri's not doing as good this year sadly...

Last I had seen, Aaron Malin from Marquette is still plugging away in LD. Lee's Summit West competed in round 9, and has since dropped out. Monett and Parkview both have PF teams still in. Pembroke has an extemper and orator in the top 30, and Thomas and Mihir are 4-0 in out rounds after round 10. Ben Vega from Savannah, Parag Dharmavarapu from Parkway West and Devon Whitton from Oak Park are all competing in the Semi-Final level of Congress.

UPDATE: 4:32 PM

Foster Honeck from Pembroke was eliminated from DX after round 10. Forrest Richardson and Luke Bishop from Savannah are also both out. Thomas and Mihir from Pembroke are undefeated after 11 rounds, one of three remaining undefeated teams.

Pembroke dropped on a 2-1 to GW. they're still in though.

Yup. Per the Pembroke Debate twitter, Pembroke HV is one of 8 teams still going in CX. In addition, thanks to Brandi Berner, I can add some IEs results. Deon Cummings from Truman dropped out after sems of DI, Michael Cohen from Truman is in Finals of HI and Austin Groves from Blue Springs is in Finals of DI. Hopefully some Stuco, LD and PF updates will be here soon. I should probably pester Devin Kelsey for that info, as he's better acquainted with the Missouri PFD folks than I am.

update: the only MO cx team is out... Pembroke's out on a 3-0 to iowa city west.

FINALS

George Washington vs. Greenhill

FINALS

George Washington vs. Greenhill

Austin Groves from Blue Springs is in finals of DI, which means he is in a final round two years in a row. Truman has an HI in finals. John from Grandview is in the top 5 in Supplemental debate.

Truman has an HI in finals.

This kid is only a sophomore... and a novice. Crazy success this year including the NIETOC national HI champion. MO is producing some very talented individuals!

I can add a few more people to the list of national performers. Ray-Pec and Blue Springs both had Duos in semis, Blue Springs also had an HI in sems. Emma from SPC is in finals of Commentary. Devon from Nixa is in finals of Supp Debate. I know Nixa and SPC had someone place 8-13 in Supp Debate. I think Sieggy was between 14-24. Parkview had a Duo in the Top 30, but I don't think they made sems. That is all I can remember. I was a bit zoned in on Supp Debate today. John from Grandview's last name is Wallace. He's a sophomore extemper, policy debater.

Missouri had a great national tournament. Not quite the run in the main event debates as in the past, but overall I think a better tournament than last year. I am proud to be from Missouri, and I am proud of our results. It is always amazing to see how our state comes together to pull for someone from Missouri regardless of the school they attend or the event they are competing in. I don't care if you are from KC, Springfield, St. Louis or any other part of the state. We come together better than any other state at this tournament to pull for our own. Thank you to all the well wishes John and I received this week. It means a lot to us both!!

~Yunker

If I heard correctly Austin McGuire from Camdenton was/is in finals of Congress and Dalton Speak from Marshfield was Top 30 in OO

If I heard correctly Austin McGuire from Camdenton was/is in finals of Congress and Dalton Speak from Marshfield was Top 30 in OO

This is correct.

As for PF, Monett had a team rank 4th and Parkview had a top 11 finish.

2011 wasn't a bad year for Missouri at all. There's no doubt that every competitor representing us at NFL did so fantastically. Below are some notable results, taken from the unaudited tournament results packet (which can be found here).

Before moving to the individual awards, it's worth noting some squad achievements. Parkview finished second in the race for the Bruno E. Jacob/Pi Kappa Delta National Award in Speech, and should be in a solid spot to compete next year with 1,430 points. Additionally, the Vikings tied for 10th in the race for the Karl E. Mundt Trophy, representing outstanding performance in Student Congress. Beyond Parkview's success, both Springfield Central and Monett were recognized as Schools of Excellence for their performance in debate events.

To recognize individuals who received awards on the big stage, we'll start with Humorous Interpretation. Allison Korn from Blue Springs placed 7th, and Michael Cohen from Truman placed 4th. In Dramatic Interpretation, Deon Cummings from Truman placed 11th and Austin Groves from Blue Springs placed 2nd. In addition, Austin won the final round by judge score. In Duo Interpretation, the team of Hayley Farrell and Todd Bowles from Ray-Pec placed 14th and Michaela Burns and Lisa Brockmeyer placed 8th. In original Oratory, Katherine Smith from Pembroke Hill placed 11th. In Extemporaneous Commentary, Emma McIntyre from Springfield Central placed 5th. In addition to these results, a slew of students landed in the top 30 and top 60 in various events.

On the debate side of things, Thomas Hodgman and Mihir Vedantam from Pembroke Hill finished 7th in Policy Debate, capping off a great year that included an octofinal run at the Tournament of Champions. In Public Forum Debate, Aaron Sowards and Thao Anh Mai from Parkview placed 9th, and the team of Brianna Peterson and Andrew Sliger from Monett placed 4th. Missouri continued to dominate the Supplemental Debate event in its second year with Grandview's John Wallace placeing 4th, and Nixa's Devon Smith crowned national champion.

In addition, a number of Missouri kids advanced to elimination rounds in Student Congress. In the House, Parag Dharmavarapu from Parkway West, Hannah Ingram and Ben Vega from Savannah and Arianna Skindell from Liberty North advanced in the semi final session. In House finals, Laura Adkins from Springfield Central finished (if I'm reading the Congress results correctly) 7th. In the Senate, Devon Whitton from Oak Park advanced to semi finals, and Austin McGuire (again, if I'm reading this right) from Camdenton placed 7th.

This was another good year for Missouri. In addition to the names here, a whole host of our folks competed at the tournament, many of them advancing through incredibly tough levels of competition (many of them mentioned in previous posts in this thread). I think all of us should be incredibly proud to be from Missouri, not only because of our competitive success, but also (and especially), as Mr. Yunker points out, because of the way this community seems to come together every year to celebrate that success. That's something special.

tl;dr: Way to represent, y'all.

• Upvote 1