RTFMF

Round 413: Space exploration

Couple more follow- up questions then the 1NC will be posted

You say that construction would begin immediately but you don't give a timeframe for when it will actually be complete, at what time will humans be able to actually live on the installation and when that happens how many people will be able to live on the installation?

almost immediately people will be living in it... it will be kind of like the construction of the ISS, except it will be in a wheel shape to provide pseudo gravity... the first colonists will be without the gravity but not for long... if you want more information on the specifics just follow up... timeframe for completion could easily be five years, but colonists will be there almost immediately and the gravity will be in place before finished. capacity for the colony could be anywhere between 50,000 to 500,000.

Can you give me a list of all the reasons humans are going to go extinct if we don't colonize?

well lets start with the fastest things... asteroids, global warming, deep eco crisis, Nuke war for whatever reason, Terminator robot shiznit, alien attack of earth, annnnd then onto longterm things... the sun dying, earths magnetic field wearing out, rogue black hole... No matter what eventually life on earth will end... the thing is that we cant leave all our eggs in one basket... we must make this colony to expand the horizons to other colonies and human kind

You say "unaffected colonies can help earth", what exactly will these colonies do?

Save any survivors if earth is still hospitable (Like if the asteroid didnt cause extinction immediately)... provide humanitarian aid, rebuild civilization... etc. If everyone did die on earth and it wasn't hospitable than the only job the colonists have is to stand by and look pretty continuing the human race

Even if it is true that space colonization by the UNITED STATES would solve the UNITED STATES' output of pollution, what solves the pollution that other countries emit? (China, India, Japan etc.)

Once america has all of their production in space than modeling solves... everyones going to want to be like us. besides that, its not just the fact that it will decrease pollution because of stopping earthly production, empirically space missions make human kind more aware of environmental problems.

Couple more follow- up questions then the 1NC will be posted

You say that construction would begin immediately but you don't give a timeframe for when it will actually be complete, at what time will humans be able to actually live on the installation and when that happens how many people will be able to live on the installation?

almost immediately people will be living in it... it will be kind of like the construction of the ISS, except it will be in a wheel shape to provide pseudo gravity... the first colonists will be without the gravity but not for long... if you want more information on the specifics just follow up... timeframe for completion could easily be five years, but colonists will be there almost immediately and the gravity will be in place before finished. capacity for the colony could be anywhere between 50,000 to 500,000.

Can you give me a list of all the reasons humans are going to go extinct if we don't colonize?

well lets start with the fastest things... asteroids, global warming, deep eco crisis, Nuke war for whatever reason, Terminator robot shiznit, alien attack of earth, annnnd then onto longterm things... the sun dying, earths magnetic field wearing out, rogue black hole... No matter what eventually life on earth will end... the thing is that we cant leave all our eggs in one basket... we must make this colony to expand the horizons to other colonies and human kind

You say "unaffected colonies can help earth", what exactly will these colonies do?

Save any survivors if earth is still hospitable (Like if the asteroid didnt cause extinction immediately)... provide humanitarian aid, rebuild civilization... etc. If everyone did die on earth and it wasn't hospitable than the only job the colonists have is to stand by and look pretty continuing the human race

Even if it is true that space colonization by the UNITED STATES would solve the UNITED STATES' output of pollution, what solves the pollution that other countries emit? (China, India, Japan etc.)

Once america has all of their production in space than modeling solves... everyones going to want to be like us. besides that, its not just the fact that it will decrease pollution because of stopping earthly production, empirically space missions make human kind more aware of environmental problems.

My bad, haven't noticed this:

1NC http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7672814/1NC%20Space%20Vdebate.doc

If it is too long just let me know I can make it shorter ( as long as the 2AC * relatively * the same length I don't really care about word count, but if you do I will fix it)

Also, if this happens again (me not posting a speech or crossx)you can email me at barron.andrew1@gmail.com for an immediate response/speech.

Anyways, crossx whenever

okey doke poke,

CX,

On your CP your impact is china having an economic downturn = nukes ... where is the card that links the EU economy to china?

On your apitol DA the link is that passing the plan makes obama have to put it through opposing congress or whatev... how does fiat not solve?

in the K you say that space exploration is the pretext to imperial control of space orbits, A. so is anything dealing with space bad? and all exploration destroys political thought?

you argue that the human race is "resillient" and cant be killed basically but then in your next card you out and out say that the destruction of earth is a certainty... if the destruction of earth is a certainty than would it be logical to say the only way our resilliency will show is if we get the hell off of earth?

If the only way to solve this imminent destruction is getting off earth than arent you basically just saying we should put this off for some other day?

The link to the war adv. is basically technology controlling the weapons right? how does your mitchell card link to space weapons when literally every weapon we use in the military has some sort of automated function?

also does this gagnon author know what he is talking about? he is saying some debris from one of our craft will bring a new bacteria to earth? can you explain the logic behind this card?

Wheres the link to the value of life card on the enviro adv?

For the turn on the enviro adv. the impact is "Rocket flights will be postponed"... How is this a turn and how does this affect my case?

what does the attfield 99 card link too?

and what does your global warming card link too?

you say that it takes too long to be effective, cuz you say it may take 50 years tops... but then you also say the world won't blow up for like 200,000 years, when will the world be annihilated???

lastly, should we be proactive or reactive?

okey doke poke,

CX,

On your CP your impact is china having an economic downturn = nukes ... where is the card that links the EU economy to china?

You are reading the top half of the card which gives warrants why an economic downturn in China would be bad. If you look to the bottom of the card it gives historical examples of how bad economic times in countries (the US, various countries in Europe) historically have lead to war and in this current state of the world, these escalate to nuclear war.

On your apitol DA the link is that passing the plan makes obama have to put it through opposing congress or whatev... how does fiat not solve?

Fiat tests the word should in the resolution not the word "would" – affs need to defend the political process as a consequence of the plan because that is a pre-requisite to all other neg ground.

in the K you say that space exploration is the pretext to imperial control of space orbits, A. so is anything dealing with space bad? and all exploration destroys political thought?

No, just your reps of assuming the lead on space exploration lead to the idea of force projection

you argue that the human race is "resillient" and cant be killed basically but then in your next card you out and out say that the destruction of earth is a certainty... if the destruction of earth is a certainty than would it be logical to say the only way our resilliency will show is if we get the hell off of earth?

Erm, no- the williams card doesn't say that destruction of earth is a certainty, in fact it says, "Earth-based technological strategies that can be developed in time to mediate such astronomical threats "

If the only way to solve this imminent destruction is getting off earth than arent you basically just saying we should put this off for some other day?

No, I am saying that you are wrong on the fact that there is an imminent destruction and even if there is one, you can't solve it by the 1AC

The link to the war adv. is basically technology controlling the weapons right? how does your mitchell card link to space weapons when literally every weapon we use in the military has some sort of automated function?

The link on the war advantage says that colonization is a pre-text for militarization and our mitchell card assumes the international perception of that, it has nothing to do with how it operates.

also does this gagnon author know what he is talking about? he is saying some debris from one of our craft will bring a new bacteria to earth? can you explain the logic behind this card?

it says that there are viruses in space that if we were to colonize it, they would be brought back to earth

Wheres the link to the value of life card on the enviro adv?

your 1AC?

For the turn on the enviro adv. the impact is "Rocket flights will be postponed"... How is this a turn and how does this affect my case?

your plan merely establishes colonies as a main goal, it does not fiat rocket flights, that means you have to defend how NASA plans this, our evidence defines what this is

what does the attfield 99 card link too?

it answers your ontology arguments

and what does your global warming card link too?

ಠ_ಠ you are the one that said warming was bad in the 1ac...

you say that it takes too long to be effective, cuz you say it may take 50 years tops... but then you also say the world won't blow up for like 200,000 years, when will the world be annihilated???

the implementation if the 1ac is a different issue then the destruction of the world, I didn't give a definitive date on "when the world is going to end" simply because our evidence indicates that most of your doomday predictions won't happen (especially given teh fact that you just list of scenarios in crossx while only have one real card that doesn't even give specific scenarios)

lastly, should we be proactive or reactive?

not sure what you mean by this, i will defend whatever falls into the status quo or the worlds of the cp/k alt

email me when the 2AC/ follow up questions are posted--- barron.andrew1@gmail.com

ok a few follow ups...

will u concede that the sun will eventually burn out? or that the magnetic field around earth will fade?

if so how will we as humans stop the sun from burning out?

None of the above. I don't have to respond with evidence to ambiguous assertions like the ones above considering you read no evidence or even give logical warrants as to why the above would happen. Literally Ctrl+F the 1AC, it doesn't have the word "magnetic" or "burnout" or anything that has to do with the sun

• Upvote 1

Dark Talon is on vacation till Sunday so he said to post the 2AC whenever ready, he also said that the CP is conditional. I would advise emailing him once the 2AC is posted.

Just got home from vacation today. CP is conditional. I would also advise this debate to hurry along because I leave for DDI in a week.