RTFMF

Round 413: Space exploration

I'll judge.

I'm tab.

T - You drop voters, it isn't a thing. I default to competing interps. I'll vote on potential abuse if the neg does work on it.

DA's - are DA's.

CP's - If you can argue it as being competitive, I'm fine with it unless you can prove it theoretically illegitimate.

K's - Only run one if you know it, I want a clear link story and thesis.

Framework - Don't make it a boring framework debate.

Theory in general - I want in-round abuse for theory, otherwise it's a crappy timesuck.

I like to see clash, don't make this a contest of who can point out the most drops.

Ask me if you want to know anything more specific.

I'll judge, though someone will probably have to remind me when the round is over. I'll go with tab, I can answer specific questions if asked.

I'll judge if you can't find enough people. Just let me know. I'll post my paradigms just in case:

I'm tab.

Topicality: If you're going for it, you'll need to spend at least half of your last rebuttals on it. I'll go for anything [even RVI] if it's really well-articulated. If not, don't even bother.

Disads: Maintain a solid link story, and start impact calc asap.

Kritiks: I'm not a k-hack, but I'll understand any argument as long as you explain it well. Treat me like an idiot in this case, and give overviews and explanations when possible.

CPs: Prove/disprove competitiveness, and don't assume that I'll just buy it.

Framework: Impact it well, and don't make it a muddled debate for the judges.

Theory: Basically the same as topicality: explain it will, don't just give blippy answers.

You guys have more than enough time to make the debate good, so make the arguments/questions as specific as possible.

Let me know if there are any questions. glhf.

lol ok... Welllllpppp... just postin to keep this thread alive... I have a fully structured 1AC with a backfile and all but i left it at school and cant get till like monday... should i just post an aff that i got from some camp thats already released evidence? or should i wait till monday?

I'd say that's totally up to you. This is the affirmative that you're supposed to be using in the debate; obviously, you want to be as successful as possible in this debate, so you should choose which aff you actually want to use. I have no problem waiting.

I'll definitely judge. My paradigm is... somewhere on this forum. If there's no specific questions, I'll dig it up and post it when I get home from work.

I'll Judge

Paradigm:

CPs - Go for it! Presumption flips aff unless argued - it must have a netbenefit

DAs - If it doesn't outweigh/turn case and you have no defense against the 1ac then you can't win. Its really sad that I have to include this but I see too many teams make this mistake

Ks - If its super wacky (Baudrillard) then the overview in the 2nc, yes there should be one of these, needs to explain the k. I should have a pretty good idea what it says in the 1nc and by the end of the block it should all pretty much be crystallized. Even if I know the literature, I will not do any work for you. I will not vote on ashtar or timecube. Wipeout/spark is iffy

Topicality - This is a useful tool and a valid 2nr option if it is emphasized in the block. I will default to competing interpretations but am easily persuaded towards reasonability. POTENTIAL ABUSE IS A VOTER! Arguments like "topical version of the aff" and "fairness turns education" will help pick up my vote. I am interested in why your interpretation is better for debate as an activity.

Theory: Do not run aspec unless you are trying to prove a link on a cp (usually when you're running an agent counterplan); nothing annoys me more than theory in the 1nc that serves no other purpose than being a time suck. That being said, I think theory is an important tool in setting parameters for the debate and if you win legitimate theory arguments (condo, topical counterplans bad, agent cps bad) with real analysis then you are in good shape. If you're basically regurgitating the taglines of your condo shell through out the debate it'll be a wash.

Framework: Offense/defense. Also, there is a difference between saying k's are cheating and k's should be weighed against the case. If your response to ks is policy framework thats fine, but at least know what it says. As far as other framing arguments go, tell me why your interpretation of how I should judge is better than your opponent's

Performance: I am not very experienced with these arguments but I will do my best to evaluate them

Pet peeves:

1. Tags that include phrases like "solves all your impacts." You had no way of knowing all the impacts in the round before you cut this card and I am then left to wonder what exactly you solve

2. Pointless RVI's

3. Arguments that are run solely because they are unpredictable - If you don't understand what you are saying I will be able to tell. Feel free running crazy shit, just be sure you know it well enough to justify it

4. Arguments that have to do with the "rules" of debate. The only rules in debate are speech times - everything else is up for debate (see what I did there?)

5. Douchebags - There is a difference between being witty and being a jackass. Humor in round is appreciated. The fact that some debaters are much less experienced than others and tend to make a lot of mistakes is not humorous

Things I like:

1. Clash - this should be a no brainer. If you are the only team that makes analytical comparisons of evidence/arguments on a issue you are exponentially more likely to persuade me in your favor

2. Interaction between flows. This means that something that happens on the disad flow might affect the case flow and vise versa *gasp*. Sure the debate is broken into different parts (different on/off case positions) but you are ultimately constructing a single vision. For example, if on the heg flow you read decline is inevitable and then have a card saying heg is key to the economy, then on case you better hope you don't have an econ advantage

Final note: Do what you are most comfortable with and I will try my best to evaluate your round as objectively as possible

If the negative is a no-show I can jump in and debate this round. I have a fairly good idea of the 1NC and can post cross-x in the next five minutes.

If the negative is a no-show I can jump in and debate this round. I have a fairly good idea of the 1NC and can post cross-x in the next five minutes.

Just do it. I want this round to start a-rocking.

Just do it. I want this round to start a-rocking.

I totally will once I get confirmation from the aff. I don't want to screw up a round between someone that he knows/ has been planning for a while.

I totally will once I get confirmation from the aff. I don't want to screw up a round between someone that he knows/ has been planning for a while.

Post the 1NC. If the other guy wants to have a debate, he can start another round when he'll be able to, you know, actually participate in it. You're here. You can post questions. Let's just get this show on the road.

If Globus' plan for space settlement is "already under development by NASA" why do the plan?

When does a colony actually get built?

Do you have any impacts that are predicated off of the perception of a space colony being built?

You say destroying the environment "violates key principles of life we should stand by", who are you to tell me what principles of life I should stand by?

What is your internal link to ontological questioning and why is nihilism bad?

Why is extinction bad?

When is the next asteroid going to hit earth and what scientific data do you have that it will be large enough to cause extinction?

Does the plan go through congress?

I'll judge if no one minds. I am open to all arguments as long as they are impacted and warranted. Any specific questions, just ask.

I'll judge if no one minds. I am open to all arguments as long as they are impacted and warranted. Any specific questions, just ask.

APPROVED

If Globus' plan for space settlement is "already under development by NASA" why do the plan?

I don't know where you get the idea that it is already under development. (It may be in there out of context)but the globus plan is basically some steps that al globus has set up as a passage way to space colonization, no major strives have been taken to fulfill any of it.

(Btw when i say globus plan, I dont mean there is a full drawn out plan i just mean that the implementation of his ideas to a certain extent will be used)

When does a colony actually get built?

We have the technology to build a space colony right now... in fact we had the technology before we made it to the moon. Construction starts immediately

Do you have any impacts that are predicated off of the perception of a space colony being built?

In my case? not in the 1AC

You say destroying the environment "violates key principles of life we should stand by", who are you to tell me what principles of life I should stand by? A fellow human being that has to A. share the same land as you for now, and B. a fellow human being that has to uphold the same ontology as you... if we as a human race destroy our ontology our lives are worthless which may as well be worse than extinction

What is your internal link to ontological questioning and why is nihilism bad?

The "violating key principles" card alludes to the ontological questioning card... by destroying the environment and putting ourselves in an anthropocentric position destroys our ontology and calls it into question because we dont abide by our key principals... Nihilism is bad cuz its the dumbest philosophy literally ever concieved. i will clarify if you would like.

Why is extinction bad?

depends on what type of framework you are looking at this debate from... Body on the flow: its obvious. If you want to look at it from a kritikal standpoint It would have many implications. (I'm being lazy right now cuz its late art night... just ask if you want more clarification)

When is the next asteroid going to hit earth and what scientific data do you have that it will be large enough to cause extinction?

There is significant scientific proof that one will hit in like 2036 (I'm too lazy to look it up at this moment) The americans believe it will be a near miss but the russians believe it will no doubt hit. It's going to mess us up hardcore no matter what (Once again to lazy to look up how big the asteroid is) but wether this upcoming one will cause extinction or not doesnt matter... the fact is asteroids will eventually cause extinction (Or maybe something else will before asteroids... see adv 1/harms)

Does the plan go through congress?

sure

and yeah i guess me answering your CX questions was an agreement to neg switch lol... Also looking back on my 1AC now i realize its missing a few cards and i posted it a bit prematurely ... but ooooh well

Couple more follow- up questions then the 1NC will be posted

You say that construction would begin immediately but you don't give a timeframe for when it will actually be complete, at what time will humans be able to actually live on the installation and when that happens how many people will be able to live on the installation?

Can you give me a list of all the reasons humans are going to go extinct if we don't colonize?

You say "unaffected colonies can help earth", what exactly will these colonies do?

Even if it is true that space colonization by the UNITED STATES would solve the UNITED STATES' output of pollution, what solves the pollution that other countries emit? (China, India, Japan etc.)