Hephaestus

Marijuana Withdrawal Syndrome

Instead of the futile discussion where one or two people condemn marijuana use and others defend it, let's all just bash synthetic weed.

5 crappy things about synthetics:

1) They taste bad

2) The person who figured out how to synthesize it has personally said that people who smoke it are stupid

3) I had a seizure the one time I tried it

4) I had a heart attack the one time I tried it

5) I threw up what I eat in a week in my friend's room and had to pay for a steam cleaner the one time I tried it

1 good thing about synthetics:

1) I had a fantastical journey through the expanses of my mind while I was convulsing and totally unresponsive

Verdict:

Synthetics are bad because things that nearly kill Colin Dailey are bad.

• Upvote 1

Things that nearly kill Colin Dailey are bad.

I was planning on restraining myself at the last moment from strangling you. Guess I'll have to go through with it now.

• Upvote 2

Is it just me? Or was the first point in this entire debate (Made by Sulu) completely ignored? The article lists multiple times that the people who experienced the withdrawal symptoms (Even though it was less than half of the studied folks) were intense users. I'm not getting how people are saying Marijuana in general causes mass-withdrawal looking at this article, it's redundant and ludicrous.

Even then, the withdrawal symptoms are very minor in comparison with just about 90% of legal medicine on the market. The key symptoms range anywhere from a loss of appetite, insomnia, dreaming, and anxiety. And this is quoted from a marijuana addiction testament (http://www.marijuana-addict.com/2008/11/quitting-marijuana/withdrawal/marijuana-withdrawal-symtoms/)

"Many heavy weed smokers go through some form of withdrawal when they haven’t smoked recently".

This implies the symptoms are felt by heavy users of marijuana, not the generic recreational user. Let's look at the side effects of children's aspirin. (http://www.drugs.com/sfx/tylenol-children-s-side-effects.html)

"Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); dark urine or pale stools; unusual fatigue; yellowing of the skin or eyes."

Thus by comparison, habitual use of Children's tylenol causes side-effects exponentially worse than the withdrawal from weed of a heavy user.

Even then, there are numerous withdrawal effects from mundane activities that are the same effects as marijuana withdrawal. (http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/features/video-game-addiction-no-fun)

"Even with alcohol, it's not just physical. There's a psychological component to the addiction, knowing 'I can escape or feel good about my life"

Which leads to my final point, the 'withdrawal' is purely psychological, there isn't evidence to support a literal addiction to the chemicals in weed.

(P.S: If you actually claim legalization of weed would be worse than the s-quo legal recreational 'drugs', then please jump off a cliff.)

• Upvote 1

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2777674/

I would suggest that people in debate read this article. For some reason, there is this notion that marijuana is this wonder drug that has no real affects on anything. It's manna from heaven that just makes you high, and then disappears. The truth is, that like any powerful drug, it has lasting affects on your neurotransmitters. Why wouldn't it?

I encourage people to see that the psychiatric community is likely to finally include marijuana withdrawal in the DSM-V. Marijuana smoking, or more specifically the withdrawal from heavy marijuana use, causes clinical depression. If you smoke or have smoked pot, this is a must read. This is not coming from the religious right - this is coming from PHDs from Columbia, etc.

A word to the wise: there is a difference between smoking a joint 2-3 times a week and doing bong hits morning noon and night.

Long effects on your neurotransmitters? Thats not what this says. It says withdrawal symptoms. It is well known that THC bonds to cannabinoid receptors in your brain cells and does not wear them out beyond repair. Let me translate the last sentence for you: The active chemical in weed IS a fucking neurotransmitter.

The Psychiatric community wants people to stop self-medicating and get on THEIR treadmill. This bullshit syndrome is in fact UNLIKELY to be in the DSM-IV. And there is no reason to be concerned about marijuana use from these findings. The conclusion is that if you are a heavy marijuana smoker: don't stop, or you'll get sad face. If you're not a HEAVY weed smoker: continue as usual.

Where is this notion that weed doesn't do anything wrong? You know that they put people in cages for possessing it a lot of places right?

• Upvote 1

http://www.amenclinics.com/the-science/spect-gallery/category/images-of-treatment

Its obviously addictive and here is a brain scan showing people who are on marijuana. It kills of parts of your brain. They show up as holes in brain imaging scans. This is from someone who has studied this for decades

Its quite silly to say psychological symptoms aren't an addiction. It a different form I would argue is harder to get away from because controlling your body is one thing but trying to get your brain to stop thinking and wanting it is much harder especially when your subconcious tells you you need it

http://www.amenclini...es-of-treatment

Its obviously addictive and here is a brain scan showing people who are on marijuana. It kills of parts of your brain. They show up as holes in brain imaging scans. This is from someone who has studied this for decades

Its quite silly to say psychological symptoms aren't an addiction. It a different form I would argue is harder to get away from because controlling your body is one thing but trying to get your brain to stop thinking and wanting it is much harder especially when your subconcious tells you you need it

You know your cite is from a journal written by the person who runs the "clinic" you linked to right?

You know that clinic makes money the more parents they convince of this bullshit right?

Because then they think their kid is beyond saving and send them to this unnecessary "clinic" which stigmatizes them as addicts for life.

With all that said even if this shit was credible and not propaganda to perpetuate their profit margins: The scans look terribly inconclusive if you actually observe and compare them. There is no dramatic difference that cannot be explained by aging.

You douchers even know why weed is illegal? Dupont wanted to monopolize the paper industry, in order to do so it needed to lock hemp out from the potential raw materials that could make paper. Because one acre of hemp produces four times as much paper as an acre of trees. Now that the capitalist class(the people that have run the US since its birth) was in they needed some kind of marketing ploy to bring the hoi polloi along. Enter Harry Anslinger who said only black jazz musicians and mexicans smoke weed so we need to get rid of it to save the poor innocent white youth. Why do you think the US still refers to cannabis by its spanish/mexican name: Marijuana?

Also being anti-weed is being anti-george washington which makes you anti-american. George Washington had extensive correspondences with his gardner instructing him to sow more hemp. And most importantly his instructions included details for destroying the male plants!

OK. Lets address all of this.

You know your cite is from a journal written by the person who runs the "clinic" you linked to right?
You know that clinic makes money the more parents they convince of this bullshit right?
Because then they think their kid is beyond saving and send them to this unnecessary "clinic" which stigmatizes them as addicts for life.

You misunderstand what they are saying. There has been a lot of credible scientific research that shows the effects that weed has on the brain. Of course they get money, how else would they research. Someone who has done this for 30 years either is really right or really stupid but people wouldve found that out by now. Addiction isnt a life sentence but denying it is.

With all that said even if this shit was credible and not propaganda to perpetuate their profit margins: The scans look terribly inconclusive if you actually observe and compare them. There is no dramatic difference that cannot be explained by aging.

Again you misunderstand. If you looked closely at the weed scans, they have huge holes in them with people that are younger than me. It may not be the best, but its pretty clear there is being a huge change

You douchers even know why weed is illegal? Dupont wanted to monopolize the paper industry, in order to do so it needed to lock hemp out from the potential raw materials that could make paper. Because one acre of hemp produces four times as much paper as an acre of trees. Now that the capitalist class(the people that have run the US since its birth) was in they needed some kind of marketing ploy to bring the hoi polloi along. Enter Harry Anslinger who said only black jazz musicians and mexicans smoke weed so we need to get rid of it to save the poor innocent white youth. Why do you think the US still refers to cannabis by its spanish/mexican name: Marijuana?

I'm not arguing why weed is illegal. I think it should be legaized because I don't think that there is a valid reason why it should be illegal. 

Also being anti-weed is being anti-george washington which makes you anti-american. George Washington had extensive correspondences with his gardner instructing him to sow more hemp. And most importantly his instructions included details for destroying the male plants!

I don't give a damn about being american. If it is bad, than it is bad

The DSM is one of the sketchiest groups of human beings in America right now. The DSM-IV diagnostical suggestion workbook has something like 300 different types of mental diseases and anyone who has emotions or isn't a lightning fast learner can qualify as having a mental illness or being developmentally challenged by their saying. It's just a massive scam for the pharmaceutical industry to get as many people as possible on serotonin inhibitors like Seroquel, or legal meth like addy/ ritalin/ or straight benzo sedatives like xanax and kpins which are all exponentionally more expensive and empirically more harmful than any amount of THC or CBD.

Obviously smoking weed everyday is not gonna improve your attention span or intellectual abilities, but i'd way rather eat a brownie that I helped make with my friends than take a toxic pill like the assholes the OP is citing say to do.

• Upvote 2