Hephaestus

Marijuana Withdrawal Syndrome

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2777674/

I would suggest that people in debate read this article. For some reason, there is this notion that marijuana is this wonder drug that has no real affects on anything. It's manna from heaven that just makes you high, and then disappears. The truth is, that like any powerful drug, it has lasting affects on your neurotransmitters. Why wouldn't it?

I encourage people to see that the psychiatric community is likely to finally include marijuana withdrawal in the DSM-V. Marijuana smoking, or more specifically the withdrawal from heavy marijuana use, causes clinical depression. If you smoke or have smoked pot, this is a must read. This is not coming from the religious right - this is coming from PHDs from Columbia, etc.

A word to the wise: there is a difference between smoking a joint 2-3 times a week and doing bong hits morning noon and night.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

There's a difference between drinking a beer with dinner or during the ballgame and drinking whisky morning noon and night.

• Upvote 9

This is fuckin dumb. A drug can not be simultaneously classified as a depressant and stimulant. (OH BUT WHAT ABOUT INDICA HURDUR?)

You want the real scoop? Go talk to people that have treated their depression with medi. NOT some fucking fascist that wants you to support big business.

and seizure.

L0L0LOL0OOLOL0LOLOL0LOL0OL

yea stfu

• Upvote 3

maybe im tired and not reading this study correctly, but we are talking about probabilities of less than 1% in most cases?

I don't know why this is so scandalous to you guys. If you do something that manipulates your body to make your feel better, your body will also have a reaction when that regular manipulation stops. Also, Hulk, your scorn is misdirected. The article did not qualify anything as being both a stimulant and a sedative, the article merely listed those as things that have withdrawal symptoms.

Retired - it means that 44.3% of participants had at least two withdrawal symptoms, and 34.4% had at least one. The numbers were much higher for the participants who were heavy users.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't know why this is so scandalous to you guys. If you do something that manipulates your body to make your feel better, your body will also have a reaction when that regular manipulation stops. Also, Hulk, your scorn is misdirected. The article did not qualify anything as being both a stimulant and a sedative, the article merely listed those as things that have withdrawal symptoms.

Retired - it means that 44.3% of participants had at least two withdrawal symptoms, and 34.4% had at least one. The numbers were much higher for the participants who were heavy users.

well, shit, sign me up for:

1. sleep schedule

2. onery/mood swings

On the net, ill still say go for daily bongrips.

just a note, the DSM also listed homosexuality as a mental disorder until 1986. so i don't really care what they think.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1

Yeah! And the Constitution used to condone slavery, so fuck that too!

Well, yeah...

• Upvote 4

just a note, the DSM also listed homosexuality as a mental disorder until 1986. so i don't really care what they think.

Dr. Szasz would like to have a word with you...

Dr. Szasz would like to have a word with you...

It is true that the DSM used to consider homosexuality a mental disorder. I kind of think that was then and this is now, though. The fact that this syndrome would be included in the DSM now speaks volumes. Despite the likely backlash in 2011 of including something like this in the DSM, scientists cannot look away from the overwhelming psychiatric evidence.

I have known so many people that suffered from clinical depression and also smoked pot. My friend Matt used to smoke pot morning noon and night - he never used any other drugs - and he took his own life in 1999.

I think a lot of people are accustomed to going back that that 'pot good' backfile they started building in their own minds when they were 15 years old.

Words do not express how much I agree with this article, and how relevant it is to the debate community.

Funnily enough, marijuana seemed to help my depression when fluoxetine didn't. Then again, I've always been a low dose, irregular user (which is consistent with studies suggesting that low dose use can help with depression, and high doses can worsen it). To me, this all seems to say that moderation is important.

• Upvote 6

All I know is, the one thing I've found that helps when I get migraines (and to help prevent them by regulating my sleep schedule) and helps with regular joint/muscle pain (from powerlifting) is pot. I'd rather deal with some relatively minor withdrawal symptoms than deal with how devastating migraines tend to be.

• Upvote 1