Sign in to follow this  
jeepking

Digital Debate Camp

Does anyone know what's going on about Digital Debate Camp? Today is June 1. It supposed to start. I paid on end of Feb., but I didn't hear anything from them now. Please help. Thanks.

I'm not a representative from ddc but i did talk to the head person the other day. I believe its still on schedule. I think you will hear from someone soon.

Hope it helps!

Here is the deal:

I have everything in place for the first day of camp. Greetings are prepared, pre-camp files are prepared, curriculum is prepared, and everything else is in order to get this thing off the ground with a bang. However, there have been some minor logistical issues with the "director". Basically, we need everyone to be on a google group directory before any contact can be made - i.e. I cannot invite you to dropbox, send you files, send out assignments, post lectures, or anything else unless I have the email address of campers. Unfortunately, only one person has that information and he is MIA. Everything will be running smoothly after said person is found and the email addresses along with him.

Until then, please hold tight while I get everything in order. I am doing everything within my power in the mean time.

ATTENTION EVERYONE

Now that I have your attention, anyone who has signed up for the Digital Debate Camp but has not received an email from a lab leader should immediately email me at steven.murrayr@gmail.com with a paypal receipt as proof of purchase. Please tell everyone you know who signed up for camp to do the same. While we have no idea how many people have signed up or who (all of that is kept totally secret from anyone but the camp director), Mitch Hagney and I want to try and keep things in order until we can locate Scott.

Maury, is this going to happen again this summer?

Of course it will! We have a lot of exciting plans for the digital debate camp this summer. I have been "digital coaching" C.E. Byrd (Sam and Josh) all season, and we have been developing new techniques to make the digital camp even closer to the feel and value of a material/physical camp. Remember that nothing quite like our camp has been done before, so there have been some road blocks and bumps in the night along the way. As we gain more experience with the format of digital coaching/instructing, the entire process gets better as a result.

tl;dr - This summer will be the best Digital Debate Camp yet.

• Upvote 1

Of course it will! We have a lot of exciting plans for the digital debate camp this summer. I have been "digital coaching" C.E. Byrd (Sam and Josh) all season, and we have been developing new techniques to make the digital camp even closer to the feel and value of a material/physical camp. Remember that nothing quite like our camp has been done before, so there have been some road blocks and bumps in the night along the way. As we gain more experience with the format of digital coaching/instructing, the entire process gets better as a result.

tl;dr - This summer will be the best Digital Debate Camp yet.

That sounds awesome. When can we start applying? I remember seeing somewhere that if you signed up early, the fee would be like fifty dollars less. Will that be the same case for this camp?

That sounds awesome. When can we start applying? I remember seeing somewhere that if you signed up early, the fee would be like fifty dollars less. Will that be the same case for this camp?

We have lost our previous director due to the logistical problems that happened last summer, leaving me in charge (oh god). I will try to have a website up soon-ish, but that largely depends on finding someone capable of creating a website and finding cheap hosting space. From there, I imagine prices will be identical to last year with the same bonus for signing up early. Things that will change from last years pricing structure:

1. No one gets in for free that doesn't absolutely need it. We reserve the right to give out an unlimited number of UDL scholarships to students who literally cannot come up with a dime, but for the most part no one gets a free pass. Last summer had a lot of insane coupons and waivers that I never agreed with, and I will not be implementing them now. THAT SAID: if you cannot afford the projected tuition of $350 (SUBJECT TO CHANGE), then we are ALWAYS willing to work with you to see what can be done. About half the students we had last summer paid half-or-less tuition, and I imagine the same will be true this year. But as more students pay full tuition, the easier it is for us to contract "Big Name" outside debaters to provide lectures and cut files.

2. If you attended previously, you will NOT be given a free pass this year. I never agreed with that idea and I will not implement it now. You MAY, however, be given a reduced fair for helping us provide an accurate description of what your experience was as part and parcel of larger recruitment methods. To be frank, the problem now is that enough people just don't know about this camp, and that's a shame. Even in my local city of San Antonio, I run into kids all the time that say they would have loved to attend if only they knew the camp existed. We aim to change that as best we can this year.

3. Salaries are being cut to provide more funds to the camp itself. While I cannot yet reveal what we have in plan, it will introduce new levels of overhead cost and per-unit costs to the camp that largely didn't exist before. This means there is now a measurable marginal cost to the addition of an extra student to the camp, where before there were only a larger overhead/total cost. This will make it much harder for us to provide free scholarships to students who truly need it without a larger/more dedicated base of students paying the (meager) full tuition. But seriously, this camp is 1/10th the cost of a normal camp and gives you an immense amount of skill building relative to cost - what are you worried about?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I believe he's referring to Scott.

That is correct. While the official staff line-up is not certain yet, Scott will not be a part of it. He has moved on with his life and will be working elsewhere this summer.

• Upvote 2