Sign in to follow this  
laker24

CFL Code Disclosure

Does anyone know which school these codes are:

Does anyone know which school these codes are:

i am 182

I'm very surprised that a south dakota team won this.

I'm not, SFL has been a great team since the beginning of the year, with real good national circuit exposure. they have also been a great friend to the millard south squad including myself... also they are a part of the omaha nebraska crew for cfl's so i might have been a little bit bias

• Upvote 2

I'm not, SFL has been a great team since the beginning of the year, with real good national circuit exposure. they have also been a great friend to the millard south squad including myself... also they are a part of the omaha nebraska crew for cfl's so i might have been a little bit bias

I know they were good. That was clear, I just thought that a TOC team would win. Also, you are friends with them, do you know why they didn't go to the TOC? I heard at State Congress that they got 2 bids, during the senior awards.

I know they were good. That was clear, I just thought that a TOC team would win. Also, you are friends with them, do you know why they didn't go to the TOC? I heard at State Congress that they got 2 bids, during the senior awards.

not sure at all about the other teams besides policy

not sure at all about the other teams besides policy

??? I think you interpreted that as the Stuco team got it, correct? I was saying that O'hara and I'm not even going to try and spell it, got 2 toc bids, which I heard at congress. Do you know why they didn't go?

I judged SF Lincoln in prelims. I had never seen them before. I came away thinking, the tournament is theirs to lose. They didn't lose it.

They're a great team for any tournament, because (on the aff at least) they've mastered the arts of strategy and argument economy, so they don't ever have to talk fast really.

Why didn't a "TOC team" win the tournament? Not many were there.

Les Phillips

??? I think you interpreted that as the Stuco team got it, correct? I was saying that O'hara and I'm not even going to try and spell it, got 2 toc bids, which I heard at congress. Do you know why they didn't go?

According to the spreadsheet they had no bids.

According to the spreadsheet they had no bids.

You are correct. I looked back at the tournaments they went to, and the 3nr results archive, and they did not reach a bid round. I suppose that when the coach said (during a speech for senior awards given out) that they reached 2 TOC bid rounds, they meant they lost right before TOC bid rounds. They were one round away from winning TOC bids twice.

The semi-finals featured the last two remaining "TOC teams" debating against each other, I believe. In fact those 2 teams debated each other at the TOC round 4.

The skills you learn to qualify for the TOC are not easily transferable to the NCFL. Unfamiliar judges and judging styles with no MPJ, very little pre and in round prep time, Post round evidence rules, as well as unfamiliar competition, and not to mention post TOC burnout factor after a long season drastically levels the proverbial playing field between local and national circuit teams.

Don't interpret the above as casting a pedagogical judgment on the tournament, because I certainly am not (although I'm sure that is coming by someone sometime soon), my point is to congratulate those teams who have been both successful on the national circuit as well as at the NCFL as it shows a very awesome amount of versatility in a debater and it shows a team who understands it's not just about the logos, the ethos and pathos elements of the game matter too.

Congratulations to all elimination participants!

Yeah the semis was between Baltimore City College (Aff) vs. Brother Rice (Neg), this was the third time we debated each other we had previously debated against each other at the TOC as well as the bid round at GDS. The semis was a terrific round and I would just like to congratulate Brother Rice on a terrific year, as well as all other teams!

I really like some of the posts above. Though my partner and I (229) got knocked out in double octos, I realized the amount of diversity that participated and judged in the tournament, nonetheless the competitors in elims. I really enjoyed the tournament. Though there is a label that TOC teams are the best, SF Lincoln is a fantastic team, if not much better than some of the teams that participated in the TOC. Both the TOC and NCFL are great in their different ways.

• Upvote 1

FIrst, know that the officers and volunteers of the Washington Arlington Catholic Forensic League enjoyed hosting all of you in DC this weekend. Second, please note that these are some of hte nicest things I have ever seen written about the NCFL after the Grand concludes. I normally brace myself for an onslaught of negativity about and criticism against the tournament - these posts have been great! I'm glad we gave you a great tournament! Additionally it was nice to see the growh back in this year's event, hitting 136 teams - which I believe is only about twenty teams below where we were 5 years ago, but quite a bit higher than the last few years.

I really like some of the posts above. Though my partner and I (229) got knocked out in double octos, I realized the amount of diversity that participated and judged in the tournament, nonetheless the competitors in elims. I really enjoyed the tournament. Though there is a label that TOC teams are the best, SF Lincoln is a fantastic team, if not much better than some of the teams that participated in the TOC. Both the TOC and NCFL are great in their different ways.

• Upvote 1

Jackson Erpenbach and Ana O'Hara

It's always nice to see smaller/more obscure schools win. I also find it interesting because my dad's alma mater is SF Washington - bit of a crosstown rivalry there.

• Upvote 1

The semi-finals featured the last two remaining "TOC teams" debating against each other, I believe. In fact those 2 teams debated each other at the TOC round 4.

The skills you learn to qualify for the TOC are not easily transferable to the NCFL. Unfamiliar judges and judging styles with no MPJ, very little pre and in round prep time, Post round evidence rules, as well as unfamiliar competition, and not to mention post TOC burnout factor after a long season drastically levels the proverbial playing field between local and national circuit teams.

Don't interpret the above as casting a pedagogical judgment on the tournament, because I certainly am not (although I'm sure that is coming by someone sometime soon), my point is to congratulate those teams who have been both successful on the national circuit as well as at the NCFL as it shows a very awesome amount of versatility in a debater and it shows a team who understands it's not just about the logos, the ethos and pathos elements of the game matter too.

Congratulations to all elimination participants!

While some of the things in this comment are true, I think the extent is slightly exaggerated. For example, all of my three elim rounds consisted of substantial pre-round prep time, qualified judges, and fast debates.

I am surprised at hylandd's comment over criticism. While I will always be disappointed by not advancing further than I did, I have always felt that CFL provides great judging and great competition that Kansas debate often does not have the opportunity to see. I feel like the Grand National tournament is well run for its size, and the experience of it is one of the better ones in my debate career. I can understand frustration at judges, but don't see much of that at NCFL. Congrats to all who advanced! Perhaps we will face each other again in Dallas, eh?

Thanks for that. For years and years. I am used to coming home and seeing an avalanche of criticism directed against NCFL Over the years people have made attacks on nearly every facet of the tournament. This year, I haven't seen any of that. It's been quite nice to read these positive comments!

name='Ho Chi Minh' timestamp='1307223434' post='836697']

I am surprised at hylandd's comment over criticism. While I will always be disappointed by not advancing further than I did, I have always felt that CFL provides great judging and great competition that Kansas debate often does not have the opportunity to see. I feel like the Grand National tournament is well run for its size, and the experience of it is one of the better ones in my debate career. I can understand frustration at judges, but don't see much of that at NCFL. Congrats to all who advanced! Perhaps we will face each other again in Dallas, eh?