Sign in to follow this  
The Real

Help with card?

hey does anyone have an article or something that talks about how oppressing thinking can lead to bad impacts? thanks a lot any help is appreciated

or even just like not thinking leads to bad impacts

Are you asking for a card thats LITERALLY "not thinking bad"? or something like thinking through only one frame of reference = bad?

is that a........ critique of mentally retarded people?

I could perhaps find "thinking good" evidence but i don't understand what you mean by "oppressing thinking"?. Is that "thinking like your being oppressed" or "having your thinking oppressed" or even "thinking that oppresses you"? If its the first, just find some good Mao or Stalin evidence

oh sorry i realize thats unclear now. and its a Barthes K that i'm working on, and I have an impact that myths oppress the thinking of the people, but I would like a terminal impact for that with more magnitude.

oh sorry i realize thats unclear now. and its a Barthes K that i'm working on, and I have an impact that myths oppress the thinking of the people, but I would like a terminal impact for that with more magnitude.

Understand that Barthes is coming from the Marxist tradition. When writing this K, it can't really be a "Barthes K" but should more supplement a cap K.

Anyway, when you hear the word "myth", conflate it with a falsehood. A falsehood that, according to Barthes, is propagated by the bourgeois as universal and timeless, through in reality, is just a specific cultural symbol that is highly ideological.

The example Barthes gives is wine. It is always associated with French national identity in terms of its sustenance for the worker or as a sign of virility for the intellectual. It is never associated with the desire for intoxication or as a cause for crime. People come to see wine as something uniquely French, as something to be proud of, but this essence that is given to wine is not a reality. This is his argument about semiotics. Wine is a symbol that signifies what the bourgeois want it to signify when in reality, wine is integrally tied up with colonialism, in colonized lands like Algeria which ‘impose on the Muslims, on the very land of which they have been dispossessed, a crop of which they have no need, while they lack even bread. There are thus very engaging myths which are however not

innocent’. That's a quote from Barthes in his book "Mythologies."

So the answer to your question is that allowing these myths to continue unquestioned allows for a capitalist exploitation of peoples. Then you can just read impacts to capitalism being bad. Say it's vital to question hegemonic ideological coordinates and the regime of signs and symbols - read the zizek 4 card on this. It jives with Barthes because they are both structuralists with Zizek being a structuralist through Lacan.

• Upvote 1