Sign in to follow this  
X Spike

Topic Day! Topic Day!

Yoh SD,

Have you been to a topic committee meeting where they set out the parameters on how to create the topic?

I went twice and totally disagree with the way the topics are formulated because they serve to benefit a particular pedagogical style of debate that benefits policy debate.

Now people murmur "critique ground", but not once has the "krtikal" ground that the topic committee identified been the ground chosen by the debaters...

Big school or not, your fooled if you dont think the topic committee has an agenda of preserving a topic for "policy debate"...

Massey

Oh, don't get me wrong, clearly all of the winning topics are policy debate topics. It will be a long hard road to get it to where kritikal pedagogy is the focus of the topic committee and "there is some counterplan and disad ground" is the murmur. The reason for this is that people see kritikal ground as being more "generically applicable."

For example: Mr. Chaos' usage of Nietzsche no matter what the topic is. Or Heideggarian criticisms of technological and utilitarian calculuses. Given that is seen as more generically applicable than most of the "policy" ground and that most people tend to view timely events as the most relevant (see: Nukes, Immigration, Arab Spring) the decision making processes for voting procedure will almost always favor policy analyses of said topics.

This does not mean that "big schools" vote together or that "kritikal debate" is crowded out. Actually, I kind of think this topic shows the exact opposite of that. The ground for kritikal interrogations of Democracy Assistance as it relates to Arab Spring movements is far greater than the philosophical schools of thought that would accompany say, the Treaties topic, or Critical Infrastructure.

You are also just wrong with this post. Topic committees love a list topic. It'd be nearly impossible for there to be a topic that doesn't have a "list" topic as at least one of the wordings because of how gigantic that topic would be. Example: Nukes topic. You know why EVERYONE hated the resolution wording? "Roles and/or missions..." is FUCKING GIGANTIC. A list topic for that half of the resolution would have been FAR preferable.

Wait, wait, roles and or missions is a list-- instead of a comma, it happens to have a slash.

Your point about how that topic was terrible was premised on the idea that it isn't a list topic. I'd argue it is.

But I'm with you on it being a shit-tastic topic.

Before I go further tho, it is the schools that determine a topic area, then determine a topic wording. It is the topic committees that put forward a bunch(at least 3) controversy areas.

You are just wrong. That's not how "big schools" operate. At all. They don't gather around and go "hey, what would be the best topic to completely fuck over the K debaters?!"

Oh, I don't think it is some grand conspiracy. I do think that they realize that a heavier research burden helps them in relationship to some competitors.

That just doesn't happen. You can't just make assertions like "big schools vote in blocks" because you 1) have the burden of proof and 2) committed the logical fallacy of shifting the burden ("Why DON'T you think they do that?! Moron.")

Whatever, blocks or no blocks(probably none, because as I said, I don't think it is a conspiracy), what I was referring to is the likelihood that they would vote for a list topic.

Get better at arguing, then come back to this thread. Until then, the idea that a "big school" has any more influence over a "small school" when it comes to topic voting is asinine.

I never said a big school > small school, in terms of influence. Nice try at putting words in my mouth though. Super-appreciated.

Also, the 1st sentence? Douchebaggery's finest. But then again, I should expect no less from you.

Note: This is coming from a "small school" debater whose school was known for innovating with a new K per major tournament up until about 4 years ago. Now, we're still a small school, we just don't go for the K all too often.

Note: this is me giving a shit about your background, as if that would influence the truth value of the claim that I made.

Oh, don't get me wrong, clearly all of the winning topics are policy debate topics.It will be a long hard road to get it to where kritikal pedagogy is the focus of the topic committee and "there is some counterplan and disad ground" is the murmur. The reason for this is that people see kritikal ground as being more "generically applicable."

I totesmcgotes love the fact that this doesn't suggest anything about internal biases in the debate community to you.

For example: Mr. Chaos' usage of Nietzsche no matter what the topic is. Or Heideggarian criticisms of technological and utilitarian calculuses. Given that is seen as more generically applicable than most of the "policy" ground and that most people tend to view timely events as the most relevant (see: Nukes, Immigration, Arab Spring) the decision making processes for voting procedure will almost always favor policy analyses of said topics.

But giving shitty, generic ground to k debaters is probably not what most want.

This does not mean that "big schools" vote together or that "kritikal debate" is crowded out.

It isn't about voting together, it is about voting the same.

Actually, I kind of think this topic shows the exact opposite of that. The ground for kritikal interrogations of Democracy Assistance as it relates to Arab Spring movements is far greater than the philosophical schools of thought that would accompany say, the Treaties topic, or Critical Infrastructure.

You're thinking of demo promo, not demo assistance. From the initial looks I've done, there's not nearly as much for demo assistance as there would be for treaties.

All this aside, it is really funny how you basically agreed with SoonerDebate, but then said implied that K debate isn't crowded out.

Lastly, you never refuted the central claim, that it is in the interests of larger programs to have a list topic. Kindly respond to that, without putting words in my mouth.