Sign in to follow this  
X Spike

Topic Day! Topic Day!

Also: who's rooting for what?

Based on my informal polls of interest, my prediction is that the topic will be either Treaties II or Critical Infrastructure (or possibly Corporate Tax Reform). I was actually really interested in Failed States, but I guess I'm also rooting for Democracy Promotion and Treaties II.

Hooray! I'm terrible at predicting topics, but the things I secretly hope for come true! Time to pick which Republican candidate will win the White House Race...

woah, the big schools determined a topic which was policy heavy and was an incredible research burden??

I'm surprised.

But will be exploited and used against those schools because it has incredible K niches?

Ohyah. Forgot bout dat one.

• Upvote 1

But will be exploited and used against those schools because it has incredible K niches?

REVENGE OF THE SMALL COLLEGE

• Upvote 1

woah, the big schools determined a topic which was policy heavy and was an incredible research burden??

I'm surprised.

Why do you think "big schools" had any more influence on this than "little" schools? Everyone gets *one* vote, no matter how "big" your program is.

Tool.

• Upvote 1

Indeed, the K ground for this topic is pretty sweet (although less so than the high school topic, again...)

Indeed, the K ground for this topic is pretty sweet (although less so than the high school topic, again...)

I think you switched the topics. Democracy Assistance to the Middle fucking East and North Africa has much more/better k ground that development/exploration of space.

• Upvote 3

I think you switched the topics. Democracy Assistance to the Middle fucking East and North Africa has much more/better k ground that development/exploration of space.

Whaaaaat? You're kidding. There are zero K's of democracy promotion, and if there are, I know somebody who'll take care of them (hint: it rhymes with "Shmyquist.")

• Upvote 1

Whaaaaat? You're kidding. There are zero K's of democracy promotion, and if there are, I know somebody who'll take care of them (hint: it rhymes with "Shmyquist.")

1. there are plenty of k's of democracy promotion or democracy in general in which you could find parts discussing the support and deployment of democratic systems. the trick is to find critical literature specific to the events which are still fairly recent. Im sure over the course of the summer though much more critical literature will be available.

2. Im not sure what the rule is with rhyming exactly but i dont think shmyquist rhymes with nyquist lol. I always thought if you replace a letter you had to replace it with the same amount of letters/length of sound lol. Maybe tyquist...?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1. there are plenty of k's of democracy promotion or democracy in general in which you could find parts discussing the support and deployment of democratic systems. the trick is to find critical literature specific to the events which are still fairly recent. Im sure over the course of the summer though much more critical literature will be available.

2. Im not sure what the rule is with rhyming exactly but i dont think shmyquist rhymes with nyquist lol. I always thought if you replace a letter you had to replace it with the same amount of letters/length of sound lol. Maybe tyquist...?

jon-stewart-facepalm-e1268202477960.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I feel like this whole post sort of proves these Irony bad cards that the Millard South Boyz run.

Obviously the college topic is somewhat big given the intersection of political theory (democracy) and geography (MENA), but imo a lot of the critical engagement with the middle east gets kinda repetitive (western understandings of the non-west are obviously racist... ) and it seems a little difficult to get good democracy theory debates out of the particular mechanism of 'democracy assistance', especially on the aff. It's still obviously a good K topic but I don't think it compares to the wealth of great K debate on space exploration and development.

(western understandings of the non-west are obviously racist... )

When you say "Western understandings" do you mean "understandings held by people in the Western world" or "historical, racist understandings of the 'non-west'"?

If the former, the assertion is obviously false. If the latter, the statement is a tautology because "western" is defined as racist.

• Downvote 1

Why do you think "big schools" had any more influence on this than "little" schools? Everyone gets *one* vote, no matter how "big" your program is.

Tool.

Why do you think that big schools don't vote together? Everybody may get one vote, but that doesn't mean there aren't voting blocks.

Moron.

Why do you think that big schools don't vote together? Everybody may get one vote, but that doesn't mean there aren't voting blocks.

Moron.

As somebody who goes to a "big school"....you are wrong.

As somebody who went to your small high school...let's not pretend you were going to read anything other than Nietzsche.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As somebody who goes to a "big school"....you are wrong.

As somebody who went to your small high school...let's not pretend you were going to read anything other than Nietzsche.

Yay, ad hom attacks. And my point was that their interests lie in having a list topic. Not necessarily this topic.

Yay, ad hom attacks. And my point was that their interests lie in having a list topic. Not necessarily this topic.

You are also just wrong with this post. Topic committees love a list topic. It'd be nearly impossible for there to be a topic that doesn't have a "list" topic as at least one of the wordings because of how gigantic that topic would be. Example: Nukes topic. You know why EVERYONE hated the resolution wording? "Roles and/or missions..." is FUCKING GIGANTIC. A list topic for that half of the resolution would have been FAR preferable.

You are just wrong. That's not how "big schools" operate. At all. They don't gather around and go "hey, what would be the best topic to completely fuck over the K debaters?!"

That just doesn't happen. You can't just make assertions like "big schools vote in blocks" because you 1) have the burden of proof and 2) committed the logical fallacy of shifting the burden ("Why DON'T you think they do that?! Moron.")

Get better at arguing, then come back to this thread. Until then, the idea that a "big school" has any more influence over a "small school" when it comes to topic voting is asinine.

Note: This is coming from a "small school" debater whose school was known for innovating with a new K per major tournament up until about 4 years ago. Now, we're still a small school, we just don't go for the K all too often.

Yoh SD,

Have you been to a topic committee meeting where they set out the parameters on how to create the topic?

I went twice and totally disagree with the way the topics are formulated because they serve to benefit a particular pedagogical style of debate that benefits policy debate.

Now people murmur "critique ground", but not once has the "krtikal" ground that the topic committee identified been the ground chosen by the debaters...

Big school or not, your fooled if you dont think the topic committee has an agenda of preserving a topic for "policy debate"...

Massey

• Upvote 1