Jessi_G

Who should/will be the Republican presidential candidate?

Who's going to be Obama's competition? Why do you think so?

Let the games begin.

The bad thing about Repbulicans this year is that the majority of them that are getting media attention are... well, sort of far out there - Trump, Bachmann, Palin, etc - which doesn't do anything for ... well, you know - actual candidates. I think if the Republicans want Any kind of shot of getting anywhere close to almost coming close to taking the white house they just need to nominate Mitt Romney. He is the most centrist (and we all know he will move even closer to the center come time for the National Election) out of his breed in my opinion and has the best chance of winning a national election if given the chance. That being said I'm a liberal, and wouldn't mind having Palin, Trump or Bachmann to be the republican nominee because that just means a very easy campaign season for me. Just my point of view.

I think Congress probably matters more than the president for the next few years because of the budget battles that will be occurring.

The main reason to choose a president is because of the influence he will have on Congress.

I think Trump could be good at "Johnson Treatment" style influence. I also think that, as a businessman, he'd be one of the only candidates from either party willing to stop our current spending, which is unsustainable.

I think his foreign policy would be terrible, but I think that'd be worth fixing the budget for.

I haven't thought about this too much, so I can probably be persuaded that he's a terrible candidate. I also don't know how electable he'd be.

When the only person standing up and saying "Lol, seriously?" about Trump is Karl Rove, and when Rove receives wide conservative criticism for saying that, I see the Reps crashing and burning this year.

Sorry, I guess Trump's just hard to take seriously when his most recent news stories are a spat with Rosie O'Donnell and him pushing forward the birther bullshit.

Romney isn't liked by the Tea Party, which will crush him. Gingrich is a career loser. Bachmann probably won't run, and I see her getting Palin-esc negativity attached. Other potential GOP candidates are either too young (Jindal, Rand Paul) or aren't that likely to run (Pawlenty)

I think it's pretty easy to see that Trump was only talking about all the birther shit and saying that he would consider running for the presidency after The finale of Celebrity Apprentice that he's trying to get ratings.

Seriously guys? He may have support to run, but he's just stirring up controversy so people look at him and his show more. It's pretty obvious to me.

• Upvote 2

I think it's pretty easy to see that Trump was only talking about all the birther shit and saying that he would consider running for the presidency after The finale of Celebrity Apprentice that he's trying to get ratings.

Seriously guys? He may have support to run, but he's just stirring up controversy so people look at him and his show more. It's pretty obvious to me.

This makes more sense than him actually wanting to run, honestly.

This makes more sense than him actually wanting to run, honestly.

Yeah, although he may feel a bit vengeful after getting burned at the correspondence dinner by just about everyone.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, although he may feel a bit vengeful after getting burned at the correspondence dinner by just about everyone.

I'm also wondering what new inventive thing Fox News will come up with to retaliate. Fox was made fun of pretty hard last night and President Obama didn't even try to hide his laughter (although it was justified after all of the ridiculousness they've come up with during his campaign and while he's been in office).

The bad thing about Repbulicans this year is that the majority of them that are getting media attention are... well, sort of far out there - Trump, Bachmann, Palin, etc - which doesn't do anything for ... well, you know - actual candidates. I think if the Republicans want Any kind of shot of getting anywhere close to almost coming close to taking the white house they just need to nominate Mitt Romney.

You guys think the healthcare thing will kill Romney for the nomination? Personally I hope it doesn't, but I don't know...

• Downvote 1

You guys think the healthcare thing will kill Romney for the nomination? Personally I hope it doesn't, but I don't know...

Aside from Romneycare, Romney supported pro-choice efforts and civil unions. The three of those will kill him in Tea Party support which will almost undoubtedly cause him to lose in the primaries and thus the nom. If he makes it through that unscathed, he'll get Tea party support, but only by virtue of him not being Obama.

Aside from Romneycare, Romney supported pro-choice efforts and civil unions. The three of those will kill him in Tea Party support which will almost undoubtedly cause him to lose in the primaries and thus the nom. If he makes it through that unscathed, he'll get Tea party support, but only by virtue of him not being Obama.

This is true. Frankly, I think a republican candidate will win simply because they aren't Obama, you know, that "black muslim terrorist who hates america and isn't a citizen". Although, really, he's been pretty moderate and has upheld a lot of conservative policies. You'd think more conservatives would support him...

Right now their best bet is Romney. He'll lose but he has enough money to trickle down and limit the damages in downticket races.

Someone stupid could result in another supermajority for the Democratic party.

I think if the Republicans are smart they will choose someone very conservative but even handed and fair, like Romney. I think Palin and Huckabee have bandwagons but mostly because of their media attention and PR, but that doesn't equate well to convincing more than half of all Americans. Romney has the money behind his campaign that can challenge Trump while still coming off as a politician and not a celebrity. Trump has no chance of convincing the public he has the experience to run the country, but I think he's a better version of Ron Paul, someone that will receive about 25% of republican votes consistently and split the base. That bodes well for democrats, and I see a long struggle in the primaries with Trump, a legitimate candidate (Romney, Jingal, etc) and either Palin or Huckabee, each hurting eachother in the process.

One sleeper that the GOP would be smart to consider is John Huntsman, former Utah Governer and now ambassador to China, he has an outstanding fiscal reputation, the best foreign policy experience, and not much baggage, the real question is if he can/wants to get his name out there more.

In the end I think Obama will be reelected with about the same margin of victory as '08

In the end I think Obama will be reelected with about the same margin of victory as '08

I think that Obama pretty much has the second term sealed with the killing of Osama Bin Laden. Republicans can try, but their smear campaigns about him being "un-american" will be somewhat moot when the Obama campaign can be like "who did we find and kill about two years into his term after 7 years of him being off of the map?"

I think that Obama pretty much has the second term sealed with the killing of Osama Bin Laden. Republicans can try, but their smear campaigns about him being "un-american" will be somewhat moot when the Obama campaign can be like "who did we find and kill about two years into his term after 7 years of him being off of the map?"

*Crosses fingers*

This guy...?

It's this guy, right?

It's this guy.

behindthescenesglennbeckflv-300x225.jpg

• Upvote 1

I don't think Osama will have much impact on the election?

My gut tells me that most reasonable Americans don't make their voting decisions based on how American Obama acts, and that the unreasonable ones won't change their mind anyway.

I don't think Osama will have much impact on the election?

My gut tells me that most reasonable Americans don't make their voting decisions based on how American Obama acts, and that the unreasonable ones won't change their mind anyway.

We all know that we have to trust our guts.

colbert.600.1.jpg

• Upvote 4

My predictions:

1. Romney will likely lose the nomination because he is considered too liberal for the Southern conservative Christians. The Mormon thing will be mentioned over and over without direct attack..."I don't have anything against his mormon beliefs, but...(then they talk about healthcare or whatever.) However, he'll do OK in New Hampshire and maybe a 2nd or 3rd in Iowa, so he'll get an early good start and enough delegates to extend the race until Super T.

2. Republicans like to get behind someone ASAP and be on board the winning team. So everything above might swing the other way if he wins Iowa (surprise) and NH. I do agree he is their strongest candidate, and some leadership already knows that.

3. If Trump runs, it kills Romney's campaign by splitting fiscal conservatives, while evangelicals line up for someone like Huckabee. In fact, probably Huck wins Iowa by a large enough margin to make the 2nd tier folks go away. If Palin, Gingrich, Bachman etc end up in single digits, I don't think they'll make it past NH. They know they won't beat Huck in the South.

4. If Trump doesn't run, Huck still wins Iowa, but it's a lot closer and Romney money comes in to play in NH. They may split the first two, then Huck wins in South and Super Tuesday decides it. By the way, if the economy still sucks, Romney wins. If it is significantly better, Huckabee wins.

5. At the current rate, the market will be low to mid 13s, Unemployment will be down to mid to high 7s, harder to say about gas prices. If those things are true, and especially if gas is under 3.25, Obama wins big. If they are not true, he wins big against Huckabee, wins by a couple points against Romney.

A couple of caveats: A LOT can happen between now and then. This is assuming current assumed candidates. A lot of those predictions are based on unique conditions.

tl;dr -- Romney or Huckabee will get beat by Obama.

you mean its not going to be scott walker (less educated than palin), or paul ryan?

well, at least we can hope for VP.

He won't win, but I like Huntsman. He is a pretty reasonable fellow. Which helps explain why he won't win.

I for one welcome our chinese overlords

• Upvote 2

My predictions:

1. Romney will likely lose the nomination because he is considered too liberal for the Southern conservative Christians. The Mormon thing will be mentioned over and over without direct attack..."I don't have anything against his mormon beliefs, but...(then they talk about healthcare or whatever.) However, he'll do OK in New Hampshire and maybe a 2nd or 3rd in Iowa, so he'll get an early good start and enough delegates to extend the race until Super T.

2. Republicans like to get behind someone ASAP and be on board the winning team. So everything above might swing the other way if he wins Iowa (surprise) and NH. I do agree he is their strongest candidate, and some leadership already knows that.

3. If Trump runs, it kills Romney's campaign by splitting fiscal conservatives, while evangelicals line up for someone like Huckabee. In fact, probably Huck wins Iowa by a large enough margin to make the 2nd tier folks go away. If Palin, Gingrich, Bachman etc end up in single digits, I don't think they'll make it past NH. They know they won't beat Huck in the South.

4. If Trump doesn't run, Huck still wins Iowa, but it's a lot closer and Romney money comes in to play in NH. They may split the first two, then Huck wins in South and Super Tuesday decides it. By the way, if the economy still sucks, Romney wins. If it is significantly better, Huckabee wins.

5. At the current rate, the market will be low to mid 13s, Unemployment will be down to mid to high 7s, harder to say about gas prices. If those things are true, and especially if gas is under 3.25, Obama wins big. If they are not true, he wins big against Huckabee, wins by a couple points against Romney.

A couple of caveats: A LOT can happen between now and then. This is assuming current assumed candidates. A lot of those predictions are based on unique conditions.

tl;dr -- Romney or Huckabee will get beat by Obama.

Heres one wildcard Ive been tossing around in my head:

New Hampshire is now full of crazy people. Like seriously anarcho capitalist crazy people. They are all moving there as part of the Free State project and more are going there every day.

Ron Paul could win New Hampshire, the first primary. This wont get him anointed by the media but it would make him a frontrunner if whomever wins Iowa does poorly at the polls. (Likely if its a Christ nazi). This means that the candidates will actually have to engage him in the debates.

Paul could ride the momentum to the nomination, or the Iowa Jesus guy could bounce back in South Carolina, one things for sure is that Romney wont win any of those.

Hes their smartest play, but the current electoral calendar and primary process are to his disadvantage.

Heres one wildcard Ive been tossing around in my head:

New Hampshire is now full of crazy people. Like seriously anarcho capitalist crazy people. They are all moving there as part of the Free State project and more are going there every day.

Ron Paul could win New Hampshire, the first primary. This wont get him anointed by the media but it would make him a frontrunner if whomever wins Iowa does poorly at the polls. (Likely if its a Christ nazi). This means that the candidates will actually have to engage him in the debates.

Paul could ride the momentum to the nomination, or the Iowa Jesus guy could bounce back in South Carolina, one things for sure is that Romney wont win any of those.

Hes their smartest play, but the current electoral calendar and primary process are to his disadvantage.

Well, Paul got less than 8% in 08, and Huckabee got 12%. McCain won with about 32, and Romney second with 28. Even if the crazy quotient has doubled since then, Paul would still be a distant second or likely third behind Romney and Huckabee (Unless you are assuming McCain voters go to him, which I doubt. I'd say Romney probably has NH locked up right now.) Unfortunately, he won't win Iowa, or South Carolina. By the way, Huckabee won Iowa 32%, Romney 26%...Ron Paul 9%.

But I agree he's their best hope. He's just going to have to spend through the early period and hope he can turn things around on ST...which is rare in Republican camps. Although, there doesn't seem to be an heir apparent this go round, so maybe.