vladlock

Anyone care about The Royal Wedding? I don't...

My friend and I got into an argument today over the Royal Wedding, he claimed that since approximately 2 billion people showed up it became a significantly important event while I said it's just another wedding and people will forget about it in a month.

Does anyone really care about the wedding? Frankly I just hoped the IRA would show up.

If you think it's important, it's important.

If you don't, you aren't retarded.

It comes down to perception right?

I said in the larger scheme of things no one will look back to this event in the coming decades except for maybe future Royal Weddings and my friend said that this was bigger than 9/11...

It comes down to perception right?

I said in the larger scheme of things no one will look back to this event in the coming decades except for maybe future Royal Weddings and my friend said that this was bigger than 9/11...

Yah, essentially.

The idea that it was bigger than 9/11 is ridiculous, though. 1 man's death is not a bigger event than 3,000 dying

• Upvote 2

I argued with my friend today over how the Royal Wedding is not a significant event because in the coming decades it will rarely if ever be looked back upon and it's impact on the world is marginal. In response he said that significant events are determined by the amount of people who attend an event and since an estimated 2 billion showed up that it could be counted a significant event in accordance or even greater than something like the WoT and 9/11.

My question is: What determines or makes an event significant?

My idea of a significant event is very connotative. I believe a good universal definition would be "something that resonates through history by having great effect."

This interpretation is about like yours, but you're not looking at it right because under this interp, you cannot immediately determine an event to be significant.

The umber of people who attend is a stupid interpretation because, quite obviously, people are stupid, and there are plenty of things that a large number of people follow that have had no major effect.

A good justification for the wedding being significant would be the fact, I'm sure EVERYONE knows, that Kate Middleton is a commoner and that this wedding is symbolic for an already defeated system of monarchy becoming even less relevant and important.

I argued with my friend today over how the Royal Wedding is not a significant event because in the coming decades it will rarely if ever be looked back upon and it's impact on the world is marginal. In response he said that significant events are determined by the amount of people who attend an event and since an estimated 2 billion showed up that it could be counted a significant event in accordance or even greater than something like the WoT and 9/11.

My question is: What determines or makes an event significant?

It has to have more than 9,000 people there. Boom.

Why is one of the biggest television events on the planet the annual meeting of 22 guys running around a field tossing a ball?

Why do we place more significance on the "Best Picture" award of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences than the "best picture" ratings of many more people on imdb.com?

No matter your opinion of celebrity culture or the British Monarchy, this was still, nonetheless, a culturally significant event, in part because of the audience it garnered on TV and the internet.

Why is one of the biggest television events on the planet the annual meeting of 22 guys running around a field tossing a ball?

Why do we place more significance on the "Best Picture" award of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences than the "best picture" ratings of many more people on imdb.com?

No matter your opinion of celebrity culture or the British Monarchy, this was still, nonetheless, a culturally significant event, in part because of the audience it garnered on TV and the internet.

That begs the question, though. You're saying "it will get lots of attention because it got lots of attention". What are the underlying causes for significance in the first place?

That begs the question, though. You're saying "it will get lots of attention because it got lots of attention". What are the underlying causes for significance in the first place?

Not quite, I said it was a significant event (past tense) because it got lots of attention.

Not quite, I said it was a significant event (past tense) because it got lots of attention.

Yet still it may have gotten attention but yet that doesn't automatically make it a significant event. I doubt this event has a large impact on world proceedings.

Yet still it may have gotten attention but yet that doesn't automatically make it a significant event. I doubt this event has a large impact on world proceedings.

My argument is that things which get significant attention are, because of that attention, culturally significant events. They are not automatically politically significant, environmentally significant, scientifically significant, or militarily significant. But our culture, for better or worse, is defined by things that people pay attention to. For example, Jersey Shore is a culturally-significant show because many people watch it and even more know things about it without ever having to see it. Whatever airs on Saturday night on Animal Planet probably isn't culturally significant for the nation.

My argument is that things which get significant attention are, because of that attention, culturally significant events. They are not automatically politically significant, environmentally significant, scientifically significant, or militarily significant. But our culture, for better or worse, is defined by things that people pay attention to. For example, Jersey Shore is a culturally-significant show because many people watch it and even more know things about it without ever having to see it. Whatever airs on Saturday night on Animal Planet probably isn't culturally significant for the nation.

Yet these culturally significant events will not be looked back upon most likely so would one still call them significant events if their only impact is to fill the media for about a month?

Yet these culturally significant events will not be looked back upon most likely so would one still call them significant events if their only impact is to fill the media for about a month?

Significance and lasting significance are two different creatures. For example, most people can't name the winner of Super Bowl X off the top of their heads, but it was still a significant game when it happened. And it remains significant to some degree for football fans (especially fans of that team), sports historians, and trivia buffs. The things that we remember historically are often different from the things that matter day-to-day; indeed historical events usually become significant to future generations because they were departures from the norm.

The Library at Alexandria was certainly significant in its day for its size and prominence, but would it be significant to us now had it not burned down taking thousands of artifacts with it? There were other big libraries at that time that didn't burn down, how many can you name? Does that mean those libraries were not significant at the time?

Is it significant to us now who shot JR? Or whether Benjamin Linus was good or evil? Or who Deep Throat was? Not really, but those questions were very significant to the culture of the day (and the fact that those questions mattered to culture then has become historically significant now to a degree, which is why we know of them now).

So no, this wedding will probably not have any lasting historical significance outside of the families involved. But it will remain significant, at least for a time, as the biggest live-streamed event in internet video history (technologically significant), one of the largest TV audiences for a non-sporting event in history (culturally significant), and (possibly) a critical point in the timeline of British popular opinion of the monarchy (politically significant).

Significance and lasting significance are two different creatures. For example, most people can't name the winner of Super Bowl X off the top of their heads, but it was still a significant game when it happened.

I'm pretty sure it was the Steelers

• Upvote 2

I'm pretty sure it was the Steelers

Haha, the second i read that I said "Steeles over Cowboys, duh"

• Upvote 1

I would call them culturally insignificant distractions from more important and substantially more impactful Issues.

• Downvote 1