jrose12

2011 TOC

In most states (and I assume Kentucky), you must have parental consent to record minors.

I have parental consent from those debaters who attended the Harvard RR and will do my best to video record rounds that involve these debaters.

Prelims are held on the campus and I am not sure if the campus has any video recording policies.

Elims are held at the hotel. I will call them before the tournament to see if they have an independent policy.

People have recorded the TOC and other tournaments before, but probably not in a way that is "legal". It would be nice to see the community move towards a sustainable video recording model.

In most states (and I assume Kentucky), you must have parental consent to record minors.

I have parental consent from those debaters who attended the Harvard RR and will do my best to video record rounds that involve these debaters.

Prelims are held on the campus and I am not sure if the campus has any video recording policies.

Elims are held at the hotel. I will call them before the tournament to see if they have an independent policy.

People have recorded the TOC and other tournaments before, but probably not in a way that is "legal". It would be nice to see the community move towards a sustainable video recording model.

Please cite at least 26 state statutes that say this.

EDIT: I'll bet money you can't.

Edited by Toadman15241
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Please site at least 26 state statutes that say this.

Please correct your spelling errors before making your own similarly pedantic demands.

Edit: Damn, Studley beat me to it.

Edited by broken
Edit: Damn, Studley beat me to it.
  • Upvote 1

It depends. In Virginia the rules for recording students in academic activities depend on the County. Fairfax requires signed consent, Loudon does not. I think Arlington requires consent as well. VHSL, our state organization, bans recordingat the state tournament, as does the NCFL. The NFL allows it, but you have to sign media releases.

Please site at least 26 state statutes that say this.

The "right of publicity" is well-recognized in the common law, but that means there usually aren't many statutes on the topic. Kentucky does have a statute (Ky. Rev. Stat. § 391.170) that recognizes the right and provides for its application post-mortem (a deviation from the common-law rule). See also Montgomery v. Montgomery, 60 S.W.3d 524 (Ky. 2001).

While it is unlikely that most recording of debate rounds would run afoul of the right of publicity (or other privacy rights), it makes sense for schools to insist on a waiver of that right (via a permission slip signed by the parent, since the minor's consent would not likely hold up) in all cases in order to avoid the possibility of litigation (also to avoid the costs that would be required in educating staff in the law to understand what kinds of recording and uses would likely violate the right of publicity).

You would think I could spell cite while bluebooking my final paper for law school...

The KY statute you cite does not cover the videotaping of debate rounds unless the rounds are being used for commercial exploitation.

The Restatement (Third) of Unfair Competition states that:

The name, likeness, and other indicia of a person’s identity are used "for purposes of trade" under the rule stated in § 46 if they are used in advertising the user’s goods or services, or are placed on merchandise marketed by the user, or are used in connection with services rendered by the user. However, use "for purposes of trade" does not ordinarily include the use of a person’s identity in news reporting, commentary, entertainment, works of fiction or nonfiction, or in advertising that is incidental to such uses.

Anyone that thinks this is actionable must have gone to a TTT.

The KY statute you cite does not cover the videotaping of debate rounds unless the rounds are being used for commercial exploitation.

I am aware of that, but it's those "unless-es" that make school administrators nervous. Once a video is made, it can be very difficult to tightly lock it down or constantly monitor its use (especially if it gets posted online) for years in order to make sure that there is no commercial use. Even if "commercial use" were an easy thing to identify (and it's often not, particularly when things are sold for educational purposes, like textbooks and other instructional materials), administrators, quite reasonably, don't want to risk getting involved at all in litigation over a commercial use of the video, even if they would win. Hence, it's easiest for them to have a blanket rule requiring waiver/consent for any videotaping whatsoever, that way parents definitely can't sue even if the video does eventually end up in a commercial setting.

(Remember, administrators and teachers -- even if they had one handy and could read it like a lawyer -- don't want to pull out a Restatement in order to know whether they need waiver forms for a particular purpose. It's easier and

more efficient to play it safe with the blanket rule. Also, they'd look in the Restatement of Torts for this issue, not Unfair Competition...)

Furthermore, parents tend to like it when schools let them know what's going on at school, particularly when it can affect things off-campus too. Requiring permission slips is one way that administrators can keep parents informed, even if such slips are not always legally required.

Random note, many rounds at the TOC, and a lot of outrounds will contain four debaters that are 18, so you can still work around it.

Does the TOC allow people to record debates? If so, can someone please record some rounds at the TOC

We have arranged to have several of the rounds from the TOC recorded and posted on DebateVision.com. If everything works out as planned, videos will be posted everyday during the tournament. The site is completely non-profit with all revenue is going to debate scholarships. If anyone else is recording rounds (or has other past rounds recorded) please share them on Debate Vision for all of us to enjoy.

We're also planning to do the same for NFL Nats and a couple of debate camps.

• Upvote 1

I will be providing the same coverage spreadsheet I did last year for this year. Stand by for a link. Also, if you are interested in helping with it you can contact me at achaudhry@anik.me.

Julia Burke award nominees:

Thomas Hodgman (Pembroke Hill)

Brian Gonzaba (Millard South)

Anna Dimitrijevic (Carrollton)

Nadeem Farooqi (Damien)

• Upvote 1

Julia Burke award nominees:

Brian Gonzaba (Millard South)

This guy should win.

• Upvote 2

Round 7, Aff first:

College Prep PT (4-2) v. Carrolton DU (4-2), Bowen

College Prep YP (4-2) v. Lexington CS (4-2), Lamballe

Dallas Jesuit GM (4-2) v. Georgetown Day HS (4-2), Emerson

Georgetown Day KL (5-1) v. GBN PP (5-1), Joseph

GBN BH (4-2) v. Kinkaid BB (4-2), Tribble

Homewood Flossmoor GS (5-1) v. Damien FG (5-1), Phillips

Lexington VE (5-1) v. Woodward SS (4-2), Kennedy

Meadows WS (4-2) v. Glenbrook South HJ (4-2), Lanning

Millard South GS (4-2) v. Pembroke Hill HV (4-2), Murillo

Mountain Brook QM (4-2) v Stratford JS (4-2), Stahl

St. Mark's BM (6-0) v. Beacon DF (6-0), Matheson

Westminster Schools AT (5-1) v. Greenhill PP (5-1), Cohn

I may have missed one, but unless Woodward beats Lexington VE, it should break cleanly to a field of sixteen.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone taken any videos? If so, would they post the link if they are uploaded to the internet?

Thanks.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Millard South GS (4-2) v. Pembroke Hill HV (4-2), Murillo

Even though i'm a straight up debater -- this sounds badass, especially with murillo judging

• Upvote 1

Even though i'm a straight up debater -- this sounds badass, especially with murillo judging

What kind of arguments does Pembroke run?

I'm assuming leftish-stuff, but clarity is nice.

What kind of arguments does Pembroke run?

I'm assuming leftish-stuff, but clarity is nice.

They're fairly flexible - they run da's, cp's, etc, but they go for K's most of the time.

Also, I saw that Beacon d. St. Marks BM - thats awesome. Beacon being 7-0 is a great way to end a season.

• Upvote 2